#1 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

Pakistan mob burns man accused of desecrating Koran alive

(Reuters) - A mob broke into a Pakistani police station and burnt a man accused of desecrating the Koran alive, police said Saturday, in the latest violence focusing attention on the country's blasphemy laws.

The man was a traveler and had spent Thursday night at the mosque, said Maulvi Memon, the imam in the southern village of Seeta in Sindh province. The charred remains of the Koran were found the next morning.

"He was alone in the mosque during the night," Memon said. "There was no one else there to do this terrible thing."

Villagers beat the man then handed him over to police. A few hours later, a crowd of around 200 stormed the police station, dragged the man out and set him on fire, said Usman Ghani, the senior superintendent of police in Dadu district.

Ghani said around 30 people had been arrested for the murder and seven police detained for negligence.

At least 53 people have been killed in Pakistan since 1990 after being accused of blasphemy, according to the Center for Research and Security Studies, and accusations are becoming more frequent.

Blasphemy in Pakistan is punishable by death but it is not specifically defined by law. During court cases, lawyers often do not wish to repeat evidence against the accused for fear of being blasphemous themselves.

People have been arrested for just discussing or writing about Islam, making mistakes in homework or not joining protests against a film insulting Islam. In some cases, the accusers have had financial disputes with those who are accused.

Most recently, international attention focused on the case of Rimsha Masih, a Christian teenager accused of having some burnt pages of a child's exercise book quoting the Koran in a bag of rubbish she was carrying.

The case was dismissed last month after a neighbor came forward to say she was framed, possibly to chase Christians out of her neighborhood.

In the past two years, two senior Pakistani officials who suggested reforming the laws have been shot dead, one by his own bodyguard. Lawyers threw rose petals at the killer and the judge who convicted him was forced to flee the country.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/22/us-pakistan-blasphemy-idUSBRE8BL03R20121222

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#2 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,696 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

Religion is beautiful. Merry Xmas.

Edited by Jaimito, 25 December 2012 - 04:00 PM.

Posted Image

#3 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:13 PM

Should he have desecrated the Koran dead?
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#4 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,257 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

Allah ackbar?

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#5 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,834 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:36 PM

I use the Koran to wipe my rear end. Now commence rioting to display how unfair the world is and how your religion is the one of peace,
Posted Image

#6 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:27 PM

People deserve better then this. I wish they had a choice.

#7 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

wait........they have fire? :shock:
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#8 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,191 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:58 PM

Merry Christmas
Posted ImagePosted Image
Special thanks to Guava & Egatti !

#9 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:47 PM

Why would a stranger travel to another village, sleep in the mosque and go burn the quran? In Pakistani and other South Asian countries' rural villages it's normal for a stranger passing thru needing a place to rest for the night to spend a night at the mosque or temple.

Used to be more common but with modernization and better infrastructure its not as common anymore. Still these are rural farming villages with no hotels around for miles. It's normal for villagers to provide a meal and let the stranger sleep at the local mosque.

If given this hospitality by these villagers why would someone desecrate their religious texts? If he did this he would know he would cause or be in trouble.

In the past these types of tactics have been used by intelligence agencies to cause discourse between different faiths in a community. It used to be a very common practice of ISI to use this tactic in India.

#10 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,190 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:29 PM

wait........they have fire? :shock:

Comment of the year! Squeaked in under the wire.
3195fdd6-8501-47a4-9810-0904db66189b_zps

#11 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,506 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

And this country is an "ally" because...?

#12 kyledude

kyledude

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,832 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

It happens to the best of us. You know - just passing through Pakistani villages, sleeping at mosques, setting fire to religious texts... standard practice, really.

#13 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,257 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:09 PM

Wait a tic... They have nukes don't they...

And we're worried about Iran?

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#14 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

I know it is pretty ironic, since its a military dictatorship run country.

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#15 Vapourstreak

Vapourstreak

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

Split infinitif?

#16 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:41 PM

NRA and this mob is a perfect combination. I think they should live together in one country.
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#17 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:22 AM

Split infinitif?

"infinitive"?
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#18 لني

لني

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:34 AM

NRA and this mob is a perfect combination. I think they should live together in one country.

Except the NRA doesnt go and kill people.
Sent from my iPhone Canucks App

View Postnhlconspiracy, on 21 April 2011 - 02:05 PM, said:

It is not my intent to get in circular arguments with anybody. The reason i have avoided saying anything specific is because i know you or someone else will attempt to find an alternate explanation to my points which i intern will have to defend. I see no point in getting involved with the circular argument that is already well under way in this thread. I simply intended to voice my opinion on the subject. In the end either you accept the possibility of corruption and conspiracy or you don't.

Also i find your comments to be very childish. Does taking what i say out of context, paraphrasing and misquoting it make you feel good about yourself? Grow up.

Logic at its finest.

#19 Donky

Donky

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,680 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:56 AM

Why would a stranger travel to another village, sleep in the mosque and go burn the quran? In Pakistani and other South Asian countries' rural villages it's normal for a stranger passing thru needing a place to rest for the night to spend a night at the mosque or temple.

Used to be more common but with modernization and better infrastructure its not as common anymore. Still these are rural farming villages with no hotels around for miles. It's normal for villagers to provide a meal and let the stranger sleep at the local mosque.

If given this hospitality by these villagers why would someone desecrate their religious texts? If he did this he would know he would cause or be in trouble.

In the past these types of tactics have been used by intelligence agencies to cause discourse between different faiths in a community. It used to be a very common practice of ISI to use this tactic in India.

The ISI really isn't required to cause discourse between anyone in Pakistan. There are 2 or 3 terror attacks resulting in death every day in Pakistan. It isn't heavily reported here because it would overwhelm our news services. Iraq is even worse but of course we are all well aware of the chaos there. But unfortunately this violence is happening all over the planet where Islam is looking to either expand or there is conflict within Islam itself.
For example a dozen Christian parishioners were gunned down and their church burned Christmas Eve in northern Nigeria by the Islamist group Boko Haram. Did anyone here even hear about this in the news?
Also, in two separate shootings in Karachis 3 shiites were gunned down by Sunnis on Christmas Eve and then (in retaliation)? 4 Sunnis including a cleric were murdered. It happens every day.
“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”-Sinclair Lewis

A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."-Albert Einstein

#20 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,364 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:14 AM

No they just ensure that it is as easy as possible, I am just waiting for their call to arm firefighters and provide them with armoured vehicles.
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.
Blaise Pascal

#21 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 30,482 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

If only those people were double-tapped by drones before they had the chance to set the guy on fire.
Posted Image

#22 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:35 PM

The ISI really isn't required to cause discourse between anyone in Pakistan.

lol, ofcourse not, why would they cause discourse in their own country.

ISI = Inter Services Intelligence, Pakistan's Intelligence agency. Usually its foreign intelligence agencies who cause trouble in non aligned countries, sometimes even in aligned countries depending on self interest.

If this was an intelligence op it was most likely RAW.

There are 2 or 3 terror attacks resulting in death every day in Pakistan. It isn't heavily reported here because it would overwhelm our news services. Iraq is even worse but of course we are all well aware of the chaos there. But unfortunately this violence is happening all over the planet where Islam is looking to either expand or there is conflict within Islam itself.
For example a dozen Christian parishioners were gunned down and their church burned Christmas Eve in northern Nigeria by the Islamist group Boko Haram. Did anyone here even hear about this in the news?

I made a post the other day in the NY fire fighter thread regarding news coverage in NA. check it out.

A few christian parishioners killed by terrorists is evil muslims, but what about a couple of million muslims killed by America in Iraq and Afghanistan. Guess their lives don't count.

As a non christian and non muslim I its pretty clear to me who has killed who more over the past decade. My mind isn't blinded by religion.

click link http://www.chris-floyd.com/march/

Also, in two separate shootings in Karachis 3 shiites were gunned down by Sunnis on Christmas Eve and then (in retaliation)? 4 Sunnis including a cleric were murdered. It happens every day.

Before the Iraq war did the average person in the west know the difference between Sunni and Shiites? All of a sudden they were blowing up each other's mosques. Really? There are many many documented reports of young men being hired as drivers, they were told to report to a certain location and all of a sudden their vehicle would blow up killing civilians in a market.

It's called divide and conquer, an old British tactic. Even some of the most hardliner religious leaders in Iraq, ie' Muqtada al Sadr came out and told his followers not to retaliate for sectarian killings as it was foreign intelligence plots to divide the country and it's people.

#23 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

Also not the case.

Actually it is the case , it is their lobbying and pressure that allow guns to be easily purchased and used .

Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong
Jean Jacques Rousseau
"These are the things to keep in mind. These are not just academic exercises. We're not analyzing the media on Mars or in the eighteenth century or something like that. We're dealing with real human beings who are suffering and dying and being tortured and starving because of policies that we are involved in, we as citizens of democratic societies are directly involved in and are responsible for, and what the media are doing is ensuring that we do not act on our responsibilities, and that the interests of power are served, not the needs of the suffering people, and not even the needs of the American people who would be horrified if they realized the blood that's dripping from their hands because of the way they are allowing themselves to be deluded and manipulated by the system."
Noam Chomsky

Jesus didn’t say yes to everyone. I mean Jesus knew that there was a place for everything and it is not necessarily everyone’s place to come to Australia
Tony Abbott......Current Australian PM

#24 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,502 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:56 PM

Makes as much sense as this....

GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#25 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

And this country is an "ally" because...?

Because they've lost 10's of thousand soldiers and civilians in a cause that benefits you but is against their national interest.

#26 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,506 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:46 PM

Because they've lost 10's of thousand soldiers and civilians in a cause that benefits you but is against their national interest.

Do you mean the "War on Terror"? I'm pretty sure a lot of those losses could have been averted had they not harboured the likes of Osama bin Laden in their country, which by the way, does not benefit us or our national interests in any way.

#27 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

Do you mean the "War on Terror"? I'm pretty sure a lot of those losses could have been averted had they not harboured the likes of Osama bin Laden in their country, which by the way, does not benefit us or our national interests in any way.

Please explain how they would have lost a lot less lives by not doing what you claim they did?

Didn't most of their deaths come from fighting the likes of OBL? Isn't that why they lost thousands of soldiers in fighting on the NW Frontier? Didn't the Pakistani Taliban started bombing cities and govt offices, police stations in retaliation for the army fighting them in NWFP? If anything it cost them a lot more lives, not less.

Who captured and handed over to the US almost every major terror suspect? Pakistan did. Some of the names include KSM, al Libi, and abu Zubydah

Pakistan isn't going to completely roll over and have no say in the future of the region They aren't going to roll over knowing the west will just get up and leave when they feel like leaving Pak to deal with this mess, just like in 1980's. They have to protect their own national interests too. But Pakistan has shed more blood in this war than any other nation. This is why they are considered an ally, which was your original question.

The last thing Pak wants is India setting up shop on their back door. Karzai spent years in India before returning to Afghanistan to assume power. India has spent Billions$$ in Aff to build Infrastructure and prop up the govt.

Pakistan accuses India's RAW of backing insurgencies in NW Frontier Provinces and in southern state of Balochistan. Pakistani media also accuses the US and Israeli intelligence of funding and supporting terror networks in these regions. Its a very complicated and fluid situation.

#28 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:02 PM

It's because Iran has oil and wants to "destroy" Israel.

Posted Image

#29 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,506 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:00 AM

Please explain how they would have lost a lot less lives by not doing what you claim they did?

Didn't most of their deaths come from fighting the likes of OBL? Isn't that why they lost thousands of soldiers in fighting on the NW Frontier? Didn't the Pakistani Taliban started bombing cities and govt offices, police stations in retaliation for the army fighting them in NWFP? If anything it cost them a lot more lives, not less.

Who captured and handed over to the US almost every major terror suspect? Pakistan did. Some of the names include KSM, al Libi, and abu Zubydah

Pakistan isn't going to completely roll over and have no say in the future of the region They aren't going to roll over knowing the west will just get up and leave when they feel like leaving Pak to deal with this mess, just like in 1980's. They have to protect their own national interests too. But Pakistan has shed more blood in this war than any other nation. This is why they are considered an ally, which was your original question.

The last thing Pak wants is India setting up shop on their back door. Karzai spent years in India before returning to Afghanistan to assume power. India has spent Billions$$ in Aff to build Infrastructure and prop up the govt.

Pakistan accuses India's RAW of backing insurgencies in NW Frontier Provinces and in southern state of Balochistan. Pakistani media also accuses the US and Israeli intelligence of funding and supporting terror networks in these regions. Its a very complicated and fluid situation.

Fending off the Taliban is in their own national interest too, and not against it as your earlier post suggested.

They still have some explaining to do for giving OBL refuge in a secret compound.

#30 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:38 AM

[insert analogy either Godwinning the thread or comparing the NRA to terrorists]

(+1 btw)

Edited by zaibatsu, 27 December 2012 - 07:38 AM.

How do you embarrass a crackhead wearing a viking helmet?

How do you roast charcoal? -- Jeff Ross

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.