The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Multiple Warning Signs Surrounding Zack Kassian

King of the ES

King of BS...

Kas can pass, hit, fight, intimidate, his skating is improving, and his leadership skills in terms of sticking up for his teammates are on the rise. And he's getting better all the time. He is the future of the Canucks and is learning consistency from some of the most consistent players around.

This will be Kas and Kes team one day.

Kas , Horvat, and Kane's team one day???? B)

oldnews, you, I, and others had some good (terrible) back and forths with him in all the Luongo threads, eh?

Yeah, we sure did. He was relentless - there was almost something redeeming about it - as hard to agree with as many of his opinions were, he defended them tirelessly. I honestly had to respect it at a certain level, and find numerous other posters far more annoying than ES ever was.

The King of BS was a complete moron. He's like the wolf of wall street, which is what he is.

Hockey is different. That's why people love it.

Deals don't mean crap, this ain't the stock market. People and GM's take notice. PLeassse MG please ... I don't care about your scraps and your garage sales, just get us the stuff.

Now that Kassian's essentially played the same amount of games in the AHL this season as he did last, I thought I'd have a look at the numbers to see how exactly he's "developing" (generous term).

WARNING: this ain't pretty

2011-12: 30 GP, 15 G, 26 P, +4, 94 SOG, 31 PIM

2012-13: 28 GP, 6 G, 18 P, -1, 72 SOG, 59 PIM

By my calculations, this amounts to the following data comparatives:

• 60% year-over-year reduction in goals
  • 31% year-over-year reduction in points
  • 18% year-over-year reduction in SOG/game
  • 90% year-over-year increase in PIMs.

And, to be honest, the two things that are of the most concern to me are the decline in SOG and the increase in PIM. There's really no explanation for getting less SOG as a 22 year-old AHL sophomore than as a 21 year-old AHL rookie. And this SOG figure is even inflated, as Kass did have 7 SOG last game, bringing up his average significantly.

And while it's nice that he does seem willing to throw the body, at times, and drop the gloves, at times, I really hope that we didn't trade Cody Hodgson for a bottom-six goon that will be lucky to get 5 - 10 goals per year in limited minutes. I'm beginning to wonder if Kassian has a bit of "Kyle Beach" in him; capable of so much, too stupid to realize it and in the penalty box way, way too much.

Let's not forget that Kassian was hand held by the Sedin's in the off-season to try and get his training habits in shape (not a good sign), and even went on to be a healthy scratch in 1 (or more, I'm not sure) game, also (clearly) not a good si

Who else is concerned?

What are you talking about? You're comparing a shortened season to 1 that's NOT...for one thing.

And Kassian's AHL opportunity for ice-time exceeds anything he was being offered by coach AV.

This season Kassian...who is NOT being used as a 1st or 2nd line player most games...still has 10 goals on 47 shots...for over 21% shooting percentage. That S% is tops on Canucks...besides Kellan Lain who scored on his 1st & only NHL shot on goal in CGY last night. Burrows has 0 goals on 53 shots - you should be more concerned about his declining stats...than Kassian's. This team is full of walking wounded...& continuity is therefore a pipe-dream...yet Kassian is fairing well-enough with his minutes.

Kassian is also making better strides with his defensive play & with his off-ice discipline & committment to becoming a proper PRO. All of this is leading Torts to give him better ops & more responsible minutes...which will improve his stats in the 2nd half.

Your posted stats compare apples to oranges. Compare this season's stats... to next season's. That'll be 2 full NHL seasons, back to back, on the same team, with the same coaching staff....then you can see this player's true development. Unless one is blind - one can clearly see Kassian's improved play & confidence already. I think he will be the power forward we all want him to be...IF he can just steer clear of excessive fighting... keep his emotions in check... & keep his mental health & witts about him. Mark my words!

My guess would be "Gross Misconduct".

Where is he anyway? This seems like the perfect thread for him to come in and pick up where BS left off.

huh, yeah, never thought about it but they do seem pretty similar.

I agree with your post further down too - ES was tiring at times but he worked hard to support his points, plus he used proper spelling and grammar ... I'd take that over a lot of the other posters who pop up with unintelligible one liners in every single thread.

Archived