The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Multiple Warning Signs Surrounding Zack Kassian

King of the ES

Worst apology for being wrong ever.

I said Zack can score between 15-20 goals. He has 10. Please take off your Kassian fan club glasses and tell me where I was wrong?

From day 1 I've said, when Zack gets his sh!t together, he can be solid 3rd liner, who can hit, intimidate and fight and get 15-20 goals. There is nothing wrong with that, people. Stop trying to put him in the HHOF for his 10 goals.

I said Zack can score between 15-20 goals. He has 10. Please take off your Kassian fan club glasses and tell me where I was wrong?

From day 1 I've said, when Zack gets his sh!t together, he can be solid 3rd liner, who can hit, intimidate and fight and get 15-20 goals. There is nothing wrong with that, people. Stop trying to put him in the HHOF for his 10 goals.

2nd worst apology.

Stop assuming things.

Now there is some sadass backtracking.

As is your attempt ("HHOF") to strawman your way out of context.

He cant skate, doesnt have a great shot, doesnt have great playmaking skills.

Ive heard he's shown 'flashes of brilliance' since becoming a Canuck. Can someone link me these 'flashes' or post a youtube video, cause I havent seen any flashes of brilliance from Kassian.

Gosh, you're right! So you are saying that Hodgson doesn't make the players around him "better"? Okay.

Kassian's offense will always be linked to Hodgson. Why? Because it is the only substantive thing to which Hodgson supporters can point to and say that he is "better" than Kassian. And while I do believe that Hodgson is a pretty good offensive player, I am much happier with what Kassian brings to the table.

Now who's making assuptions. Are you new? That was a pretty short response from me.

So, you didn't get past the first line, but you then go on to address things I brought forward later in the post. Can you make up your mind if you're trying to be dismissive or not? Yeesh! It makes you look like you don't have any kind of a reasonable response to the points raised against your origianl post. (Oh heck, why am I bothering, you'll never get this far.)

BTW, does your last comment apply only to the "Kassian fanatics", or does it apply to comparisons made by Hodgson fanatics as well?

regards,

G.

Oh Gollumpus. You're my favorite. You are like the James Randi of this forum.

Funny, Zack makes a decent pass, hits the post or hits someone and there are at least 10 posts from his fan club. But he has a stinker like last night and, surprise surprise, nothing but silence. What, no excuses for last night? But Im sure Zack will get a big hit or hit another post or get a point the next game or the game after and his fans will rise to the occasion with giddy adulation.

And trust me, Im not apologizing or backtracking on anything.

Funny, Zack makes a decent pass, hits the post or hits someone and there are at least 10 posts from his fan club. But he has a stinker like last night and, surprise surprise, nothing but silence. What, no excuses for last night? But Im sure Zack will get a big hit or hit another post or get a point the next game or the game after and his fans will rise to the occasion with giddy adulation.

He made a couple of huge errors last night. He also hit the post and made some good plays. In my mind, he was trying to play over his head like he was Henrik Sedin or Kesler out there.

However, its not a 'battle' or 'war' between fanboys and haters. That is ridiculous. Support the guy. Hes going to be good for us. Complaining about him all the time does nothing. You can argue that cheering him on all the time does nothing as well but I would far rather cheer than snide and complain.

83757-o.jpg

He made a couple of huge errors last night. He also hit the post and made some good plays. In my mind, he was trying to play over his head like he was Henrik Sedin or Kesler out there.

However, its not a 'battle' or 'war' between fanboys and haters. That is ridiculous. Support the guy. Hes going to be good for us. Complaining about him all the time does nothing. You can argue that cheering him on all the time does nothing as well but I would far rather cheer than snide and complain.

Actually a good post. But saying Zack can become a solid third line player getting between 15-20 goals isnt enough for his diehard hero worshippers. I hope he turns into that guy. But if you dont drool every time he steps on the ice or smiles, his fan club gets their panties in a knot.

Now that Kassian's essentially played the same amount of games in the AHL this season as he did last, I thought I'd have a look at the numbers to see how exactly he's "developing" (generous term).

WARNING: this ain't pretty

2011-12: 30 GP, 15 G, 26 P, +4, 94 SOG, 31 PIM

2012-13: 28 GP, 6 G, 18 P, -1, 72 SOG, 59 PIM

By my calculations, this amounts to the following data comparatives:

• 60% year-over-year reduction in goals
  • 31% year-over-year reduction in points
  • 18% year-over-year reduction in SOG/game
  • 90% year-over-year increase in PIMs.

And, to be honest, the two things that are of the most concern to me are the decline in SOG and the increase in PIM. There's really no explanation for getting less SOG as a 22 year-old AHL sophomore than as a 21 year-old AHL rookie. And this SOG figure is even inflated, as Kass did have 7 SOG last game, bringing up his average significantly.

And while it's nice that he does seem willing to throw the body, at times, and drop the gloves, at times, I really hope that we didn't trade Cody Hodgson for a bottom-six goon that will be lucky to get 5 - 10 goals per year in limited minutes. I'm beginning to wonder if Kassian has a bit of "Kyle Beach" in him; capable of so much, too stupid to realize it and in the penalty box way, way too much.

Let's not forget that Kassian was hand held by the Sedin's in the off-season to try and get his training habits in shape (not a good sign), and even went on to be a healthy scratch in 1 (or more, I'm not sure) game, also (clearly) not a good sign.

Who else is concerned?

Agreed.

Kass and Higfy were the only noticeable players out there for the right reasons.

Our vets were pathetic. Kes not skating and Sein/burr couldnt even get in the zone without going off side.

Imo Kass has no mentor or positive example of leadership atm. Hes been making plays to Booth for the last two weeks only for the plays to die on Booths stick.

Heck we have core guys scoring on their own net?!?! But hey lets all dump on Kass for at least attempting an offensive rush with speed.

Kass could have pool cued the puck down the ice on one leg last night on that play and I wouldnt have cared at all. The team is dead right now and those paid to perform are not.

And yes, im a Kassian homer. Outside of Sestito hes the only player thats giving this team a pulse right now.

More minutes for Kass 5 on 5 and more PP time too.

Piss off haters.

Kass and Higfy were the only noticeable players out there for the right reasons.

Our vets were pathetic. Kes not skating and Sein/burr couldnt even get in the zone without going off side.

Imo Kass has no mentor or positive example of leadership atm. Hes been making plays to Booth for the last two weeks only for the plays to die on Booths stick.

Heck we have core guys scoring on their own net?!?! But hey lets all dump on Kass for at least attempting an offensive rush with speed.

Kass could have pool cued the puck down the ice on one leg last night on that play and I wouldnt have cared at all. The team is dead right now and those paid to perform are not.

And yes, im a Kassian homer. Outside of Sestito hes the only player thats giving this team a pulse right now.

More minutes for Kass 5 on 5 and more PP time too.

Piss off haters.

This is why i like kass.

Not predictable like the rest of this core.

I'm fine with Kassian. There's definitely a big difference in caliber compared to Hodgson but it's done. The main problem which I hope he will improve on is his responsibility. He gives the puck up non-chalantly sometimes. He got burned twice last game vs EDM. I personally don't expect much from Kassian and he seems like a career 3rd liner.

With a couple decent prospects coming up, it might even better for him to be slotted as a permanent 4th liner.

I think if you read the gameday thread, or post game, you'd see plenty of people saying he made two bad decisions, myself included. However, at least he's trying to make something happen off those plays, and playing with the confidence to try those moves. I'll take that any day. The team isn't going anywhere, I'm very very happy that he is one of the very few showing any heart and any skill/creativity in the offensive zone.

Last night was the first night in quite some time that I saw some errors from KASS trying to do toooooo much on his own.... No snide comments from the KASS hater society when the vets do the same turnover type of crap every game?? Geez tough crowd on the cdc...

sad thing is he felt he had to do it on his own no one was stepping up.

I actually liked that he did try something different so what it cost us an empty net goal our recent history shows that 99% chance we would have lost the game anyways.

Archived