The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

lol glad i could entertain. His logic is just baffling to me. Like how immature and stupid would it be for Burke and Tallon to say he's a backup. He acts like these teams dont really want luongo because he's now a "back up goalie" but they might be willing to give him a try for penuts. You cant even consider that posturing to get a better deal because its ludacris and would never get a deal moving along. Burke isnt stupid, he knows luongo wants to go to florida and he knows gillis would prefer to respectfully send him there if the deal is right. He also knows florida has way better young assets that he does. This is why i think you might see kadri in the deal. He's heard Tallon say our big 3 blue chippers arent going anywhere, so he says "look your not getting Bjugstad from tallon but i"ll put one of mine in the deal in kadri.

I think Burke knows he cant sit on this too long because if theres 2 mediocre deals on the table, Gillis will send Luongo home where he wants to be. His deal has to be good enough that Gillis says "sorry Bobby but Fla is trying to fleece us and burke has the only real offer on the table".

Projected Florida line up:

Fleischmann - Weiss - Versteeg

Bergenheim - Huberdeau - Kopecky

Goc - Matthias - Upshall

Mueller - Santorelli - Parros

Skille, Kovalev (PTO)

Campbell - Kulikov

Gudbranson - Kuba

Jovanovski - Weaver

Ellerby

Theodore

Clemmensen

That lineup isn't exactly deep at centre. I believe Huberdeau might even be used on the wing. I can't see Florida trading their top centre in Weiss, for Luongo. Even if they did, do we want an offensive minded, undersized forward centering our 3rd line?

I doubt that we would get Weiss,but why would he be a third line center??? kesler has and can play wing!!!! To me I heard a few times that when the lockout is done people have said Luo would be traded as he was , well where is this deal that was said???To me it makes no sence that we keep both or one will demand a trade and we get less.I say trade Luo NOW even if we get a bit less then we want.Keep everyone happy as a GM should.

The idea is they'd trade Weiss because they think they're going to lose him to free agency. I don't know if it's true that they think they can't re-sign him, but that's what the rumour is after they stopped talking about an extension last summer and Weiss said he wanted to focus on the upcoming season.

I doubt that we would get Weiss,but why would he be a third line center??? kesler has and can play wing!!!! To me I heard a few times that when the lockout is done people have said Luo would be traded as he was , well where is this deal that was said???To me it makes no sence that we keep both or one will demand a trade and we get less.I say trade Luo NOW even if we get a bit less then we want.Keep everyone happy as a GM should.

The same thing goes for ES. Consider what he's stating, that by definition, Luongo is the backup (nothing specific to trades in his last post or CH101's).

- Is this because Schneider played the last few playoff games? We know the situation in Boston where Thomas was ousted by Rask only to be the starter again the following year.

- Is this because the team has said Schneider is the starter? I haven't seen any quotes stating that, only that they're prepared to go with both goalies if need be.

- Is there some other proof he has that Luongo will be the backup if he plays here for at least part of the year instead of a tandem system?

Cory having signed a new contract, their stats from last year, and Luongo saying he'd accept a move (making him the most likely to be traded) doesn't equal Luongo automatically being the backup. People stating with 100% certainty that he will be the backup is as wrong as people saying Luongo won't be. The same goes for stating with 100% certainty that one or the other will be traded.

If both sides could just get past that and realize there are any number of possibilities (even if some are more likely than others) then the discussion around possible Luongo trades becomes a lot more pleasant.

The more I think about this the less I think a trade will happen within the first 10-15 games.

I think MG will ride with Schroeder on that 2nd line until Kesler gets back ( he may even be back sooner ) and see how results go. If they go well that could boost Luongos value as we will be in a position of strength ( in the standings )

On a different note what are your people's thoughts on this. Could we get Torontos first or second pick and a prospect for Luongo ? And maybe pick up a back-up for Schneider via UFA ?

The more I think about this the less I think a trade will happen within the first 10-15 games.

I think MG will ride with Schroeder on that 2nd line until Kesler gets back ( he may even be back sooner ) and see how results go. If they go well that could boost Luongos value as we will be in a position of strength ( in the standings )

On a different note what are your people's thoughts on this. Could we get Torontos first or second pick and a prospect for Luongo ? And maybe pick up a back-up for Schneider via UFA ?

Nothing is for certain in hockey but all the signs point to Schneider as our go to guy. I agree that 3 playoff games in itself is not singularly enough to make Schneids #1 but the way he has evolved, his very high level of play under every situation and that 3 game stint do justify an increased role. The pressure he was under was huge but hes very cool and his technique does not falter under it. Lou is now working on technical issues with Allaire and hopefully they can close some of the chinks in his armour. He has to give shooters a different look because the book on him was printed a long time ago and his vulnerabilities are well noted. I give Schneider the edge starting the season as hes had some games under his belt and Lou is a slow starter. I agree with ES in that Lou, if hes being traded, needs to start elsewhere, because , trade-wise a bad start does not help him or the team. Its a huge risk. I think we will see a deal done before the puck drops in game one !

MG said in an interview there isn't really any room for experiments with a shortened season. I don't think MG will go with Schroeder unless he's quite confident he can handle the Centre spot.

Also, if we trade Luongo, I don't think we would want picks back, because that doesn't help us with anything for the next 3 years at the very least. We will want players back in return. I hear Dan Ellis is still available and interested in playing for Canucks.

Fortunately for us, we can actually have Schneider play a lot of games this year as the season has been shortened. If he can play 40 games, that's already 80% of the season this year..

I don't think Tampa will have the urgency that Toronto will. They just got lindback and will probably want to see how that works out first. I think Burke might see a window here where he can outbid one or two teams as opposed to a couple more closer to the end of the season.

Tampa has kept a pretty low profile and already made a move for a potential #1. Unless yzermans poker face is flawless, I don't see him going to Tampa.

Stevie Y is one of the greatest men to ever live, it actually wouldn't surprise me if his poker face is flawless lol

The same thing goes for ES. Consider what he's stating, that by definition, Luongo is the backup (nothing specific to trades in his last post or CH101's).

- Is this because Schneider played the last few playoff games? We know the situation in Boston where Thomas was ousted by Rask only to be the starter again the following year.

- Is this because the team has said Schneider is the starter? I haven't seen any quotes stating that, only that they're prepared to go with both goalies if need be.

- Is there some other proof he has that Luongo will be the backup if he plays here for at least part of the year instead of a tandem system?

Archived