The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

Where he was drafted is entirely irrelevant.

In the case of Bozak, it is possible to negotiate terms with a player as part of the process of a deal - and would rather take him than Kadri, who imo is a poor fit - not a very good option for the third line, and certainly not the kind of 2nd line RW I have in mind.

To me, that would be an opening type offer from Toronto.

My response would be make it a 1st, add Franson's rights, don't bother countering, and I'll get back to you after I've surveyed the competing bids.

Another aspect of that deal that I like is the cap hit. It gives the Canucks nearly another 3 million to work with - and if Bozak agrees to reasonable terms (a very moderate increase in his salary), I wouldn't complain.

Luongo has never been a team player anyway. He's always put his needs before his team. The Canucks need more 'Heart and Soul' guys on this team. I hate how Luongo feels he's automatically deserved a number one spot in Vancouver.....NO, you've gotta earn your spot Lu, instead of complaining and asking to be traded PROVE that you deserve the spot over Schneider. I'll be GLAD when Luongo is gone, that self centered...

Exactly my concern.

After this season, Bozak decides to go for a big raise that we can't afford. Frattin is a decent NHLer but has a ceiling of a third or fourth liner. And the 2nd round pick ends up being an average prospect like Sauve or Rodin.

Then what would we have to show for trading Luongo? A third liner? All while the Leafs have a number 1 goalie for the next 5 years, and make the playoffs every year.

Oh, and we get stuck with part of Luongo's cap hit when he retires...Yea, great deal for us.

Exactly my concern.

After this season, Bozak decides to go for a big raise that we can't afford. Frattin is a decent NHLer but has a ceiling of a third or fourth liner. And the 2nd round pick ends up being an average prospect like Sauve or Rodin.

Then what would we have to show for trading Luongo? A third liner? All while the Leafs have a number 1 goalie for the next 5 years, and make the playoffs every year.

Oh, and we get stuck with part of Luongo's cap hit when he retires...Yea, great deal for us.

Luongo has never been a team player anyway. He's always put his needs before his team. The Canucks need more 'Heart and Soul' guys on this team. I hate how Luongo feels he's automatically deserved a number one spot in Vancouver.....NO, you've gotta earn your spot Lu, instead of complaining and asking to be traded PROVE that you deserve the spot over Schneider. I'll be GLAD when Luongo is gone, that self centered...

I'm not so worried about age, more about value coming back. We're taking a 4th round pick from 07', a free agent signing and soon to be UFA in Bozak, as well as a throw in 2nd round pick. These scraps combined do not equal Luongo.

Most people on here we struggling with the idea of Bozak, Kadri, and a 2nd, when that return is clearly superior to this new rumour. At least in this deal we get a top prospect.

<p>

<br />

The only reason Luongo wants a trade is because he&#39;s finally had competition for the starting job. What I&#39;m saying is, a player who is a team player won&#39;t care where they play, they just want the team to win. Luongo is showing no loyalty to the Canucks especially after signing the long term contract extension, he figured he would retire as a Canuck. But as soon as Schneider developed and replaced Luongo, he immediately wanted out. Which means one of 2 things- He&#39;s only interested in money or he&#39;s only interested in playing on a team where he&#39;s not contested for the starting job, which is never a good thing and shows that Luongo thinks he&#39;s better than Schneider when last season proved that was not the case and proves my point that Luongo is not a team player.<br />

Projected Florida line up:

Fleischmann - Weiss - Versteeg

Bergenheim - Huberdeau - Kopecky

Goc - Matthias - Upshall

Mueller - Santorelli - Parros

Skille, Kovalev (PTO)

That lineup isn't exactly deep at centre. I believe Huberdeau might even be used on the wing. I can't see Florida trading their top centre in Weiss, for Luongo. Even if they did, do we want an offensive minded, undersized forward centering our 3rd line?

Here's a twist I'd like to see.

MG agrees to pay none of Luo's salary and retain none of his cap hit.

The Leafs must agree to terms on a re-up with Bozak prior to cutting a deal, and they must pay half his salary, and retain half of his cap hit haha.

Exactly my concern.

Personally I'd take Bozak and Kadri for luongo straight up,

huge offensive boost, centre stability and cap relief for this year,

next year I think we can find some cap room for Edler and Bozak, just need to trade / buyout Ballard or booth for picks,

The prospects we have in our pool will hopefully keep us in a good cap situation for the next couple of years,

kassian / kadri / jensen / schroeder (?) / gaunce (?) / rodin (?)

connaughton / tanev / corrado

we have good prospects in the system and hopefully they turn to studs when our existing studs decide to retire.

Archived