#1 nux4lyfe

nux4lyfe

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:57 AM

POPULAR

Doesn't signing Garrison and letting Salo go look really good about know?..Obviously Salo isn't getting any younger and if this season is a wash he get's a yr older, As much as I love Salo and everything he did for us I think Gillis made the right decision especially considering how much money TB payed for him..

Really looking forward to watching Garrison in action, as someone who has followed him closely, I can honestly say we have a beast with a proper shot to add to our arsenal now!

13zpnd4.jpg

Thank You Twilight Sparkle for the dope sig!

#2 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,025 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:04 AM

**listens for nuck nits footsteps coming**

:emot-parrot:
Posted Image

#3 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:46 AM

I wouldn't have minded having both, but at some point the Canucks had to put down their Sami Salo security blanket and move on. With Salo gone, younger players (such as Tanev) get increased opportunities for ice time, so it's not entirely a bad thing.

Hope he does well in TB.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#4 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,732 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:30 AM

Google: Canucks hardest shot.
Google: Canucks most accurate shot.
Sami's is one of the finest in both categories for the last half dozen years with the Nucks.
Hope Garrison can carry Sami's jock strap cuz Sami was one of the league's finest shooters,not just the Canucks best.
Sami won it every year I remember but for those Canuck fans without memories here is the old man:
http://volunteerbug....uperskills.html

#5 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:04 AM

Sami's is one of the finest in both categories for the last half dozen years with the Nucks.
Hope Garrison can carry Sami's jock strap cuz Sami was one of the league's finest shooters,not just the Canucks best.
Sami won it every year I remember but for those Canuck fans without memories here is the old man:

Well said that man!
Kevin.jpg

#6 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,199 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:34 AM

**listens for nuck nits footsteps coming**

:emot-parrot:

Wow Baggins can predict the future now too........

( :bigblush: You Called it ^^^)

zackass.png

#7 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,025 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:42 AM

Wow Baggins can predict the future now too........

( :bigblush: You Called it ^^^)

:towel: :towel: :towel: :towel:
Posted Image

#8 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,664 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:20 AM

Good decision. Total no brainer, our defence itself was weak last year, no point having an older aging defenceman playing unless of course we would have traded Edler than we could have fit him in. Only a nit would think otherwise. :)

Google: Canucks leading scorer
Google: Canucks leading point getter

People get old you know.

Edited by Dogbyte, 04 January 2013 - 08:20 AM.

"What players need is the right kind of strength and power. That includes learning to understand that leverage and positioning can be just as important as raw strength when it comes to winning battles in the game. It's more about timing and athleticism --and avoiding injury--than it is about how much you can bench press. I don't know how many times I've seen a guy with the physique of a defensive end line up a guy half his size, only to bounce off when he connects. Sure, there is room in the game for big guys who can throw their weight around. But for the most part, players are smart enough to see them coming--and strong enough to protect the puck when they arrive. There are trainers out there who know how to devlop hockey-specific strength--though a trainer can help only if a player follows the program. All too often, I've seen players sign up with the best trainer, but not show up for their workouts and never to reap the benefits."

Bobby Orr - ORR MY STORY Viking 2013

#9 lowest common denominator

lowest common denominator

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

Salo was pretty good and has skillz but was a bit over rated as a Canuck. And the injuries,sweet baby jesus, the injuries. I thought we should have moved him for whatever he was worth 3 or 4 years ago.

If Garrison gets the same kind of ice time Salo recieved and puts up 75% of the offensive numbers while being tougher and more intimidating to the opposition, I willl be quite content.

#10 cool story bro

cool story bro

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

I've always liked TB, they're such an underdog team and I love how players like St. Louis can shine there. Also my 2 favourite Canucks D-Men of the last decade are over there now... I wonder if Hamhuis will do the same when he gets older
Posted Image

#11 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,026 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

Salo's power play hat-trick against San Jose in the playoffs will be fondly remembered. Him getting rolled by Marchand not.

But I think Garrison's going to be great for us.
Posted Image

#12 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,026 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

Speaking of one of the league's hardest shots, Alex Edler, an all-star selection last season, was a three-time winner of the hardest shot competition at Canucks Superskills, and topped out the radar gun at 103 mph in 2009. Yet, he wasn't put in the hardest shot competition. wtf?
Posted Image

#13 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

Can't wait to see Garrison in a Nucks jersey.
Posted Image

#14 disisdayear

disisdayear

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

Just my opinion, but Garrison at 28 years of age, 6 years at $27.6MM, decent upside, moderate risk (i.e., 2.5 seasons in the bigs, with one year rated as second best defensive defenceman by Corsi ratings in 2010-2011, break out year in 2011-2012, some health concerns) is a better option than Salo at 38 years of age, 2 years at $7.5MM. You know exactly what you're getting with Sami, especially his leadership qualities, but he's in the twilight of his injury-filled career. He serves a greater purpose for the Lightning than he would have for the Canucks.

I've always been a Salo fan, but his time was done in Vancouver...no different than when we had to say goodbye to Naslund, Bertuzzi, Morrison, etc. Life goes on.

#15 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

Salo was pretty good and has skillz but was a bit over rated as a Canuck. And the injuries,sweet baby jesus, the injuries. I thought we should have moved him for whatever he was worth 3 or 4 years ago.

If Garrison gets the same kind of ice time Salo recieved and puts up 75% of the offensive numbers while being tougher and more intimidating to the opposition, I willl be quite content.

Sorry, but not at all what you're getting with Mr. Garrison.

#16 combover

combover

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

appreciate everything salo did for this team while he was here he was one of the best d-men we had over the last few years.but older slower and less durable have to play a factor when looking at the best option for the future. Garrison may or may not ever be what salo WAS but as far as what salo IS i think Garrison is a better option.
plus the Mr Garrison jokes will also hold some value
my warn status is for calling it like i saw it with Dave the donut Nonis. apparently the owners agreed

#17 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

More than Salo at least.

#18 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

More than Salo at least.

Probably true, yes.

#19 Jaku

Jaku

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

It was sad to see Sami go, but he's getting older, he is injury prone, and i think the Canucks defensive game got better with Garrison signing.
R.I.P- #37 Rick Rypien, #28 Luc Bourdon, #38 Pavol Demitra Forever Canucks.
Posted Image
Credit to Khalifawiz501 for the Sig.
Posted ImageColorado Avalanche GM in CDC STHS Sim League

#20 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,957 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

More than Salo at least.

Probably true, yes.

There's that and the fact I think the other poster was going for more physical in general. Garrison does play the body more and makes bigger hits. Is going to go around and goon it up? No, but he is a stronger, more physical player, while being considerably younger.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#21 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

*COUGH* *COUGH* *Ehrhoff* *COUGH*

#22 shazzam

shazzam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,416 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

It was sad to see Sami go, but he's getting older, he is injury prone, and i think the Canucks defensive game got better with Garrison signing.

Haven't really seen Garrison's play but Salo was 2nd to Hamhuis in terms of defensive play.

I hope he is worth his contract.

#23 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,813 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

Salo also started the season with 15 points in 15 games or something; then only got 10 or 12 more points the rest of the year. To put it bluntly; his body could not keep up the pace for the year and he was declining.

Sure he was good defensively and could step up if someone got hurt. But he needs sheltered minutes at this stage in his career. That does not mean we did not want him, but wanted to find a replacement for his top 4 minute munching role and save him for a 3rd pair depth player which is what he is suitable for at this stage in his career. And pay him accordingly!

It did not make sense to match a 2 year high dollar deal! Just have to cheer for Sammy and let him go considering the deal he got!

Garrison BTW is a top shelf D first stopper, who also happens to have a slapshot as nice as Sammy's. Garrison played a similar stopper role, just as effectively, as Hamhuis for a full 2 years. An even better defensive guy than Sammy, and a ripped and powerful 220 lbs; the only guy on our team capable of moving truly big bodies from in front of our net. This was a great signing!

-_-

Haven't really seen Garrison's play but Salo was 2nd to Hamhuis in terms of defensive play.

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 04 January 2013 - 01:48 PM.

#24 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

Salo was really bad in the playoffs. Then again, so was everyone else, still, showed his age.

#25 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

Garrison's shot is harder

#26 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,701 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

Loved Salo, hurt to see him go.
However, signing Garrison did ease the pain.
Posted Image

#27 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

Salo's shot power won't be too tough to replace, but it's his amazing accuracy that will be hard to replace. Hopefully Garrison can do that. Edler could also stand to work on his accuracy.

All in all, it's a good trade off, mainly because of his younger age.

Edited by ajhockey, 04 January 2013 - 02:38 PM.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#28 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,026 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

Probably true, yes.

Garrison: 127 hits

Salo: 29 hits
Posted Image

#29 TmanVan

TmanVan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

Maybe on the Canucks, but league wide Hamhuis and Garrison had the 1st and 2nd best seasons by defencemen according to Corsi stats. Lots of people say corsi stats shouldn't be taken seriously but to me it tells alot. It's the reason Kevin Bieksa has looked more stable since being paired with Hamhuis, and the reason people actually believed Brian Campbell could play a little bit of defence. Also the reason a guy like Ryan Murray gets drafted second overall, sometimes a players worth can't be measure just in goals, assists, and simple plus minus.

I for one am excited to have two such solid and reliable defensive players on our team, which should allow guys like Bieksa and Edler to flourish even more.

#30 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

"more intimidating to the opponents" is more so what I was referring to. Garrison is a big boy, but in no way is he gritty or intimidating. He will play the body more and make his hits. I agree with all of that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.