The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Firing] Burke Done in TO

I'd argue there's a much different dynamic at work here than when he was in Vancouver. Not comparable at all.

Vancouver ownership was hands off and not worried about marketing vs. 'building a winner'. We have been very fortunate with the Griffiths, even McCaw, and now Acquilini are 'hockey guys' with patience.

Rogers and Bell 1. Overpaid for MLSE for one reason. The synergies with their media business. I know this for a fact because I worked for a firm that represented one of the sides in the transaction and know the financial models inside out. 2. So therefore they need to 'market' the team and what sells the team after not making the playoffs for 8 years and after a lockout, making the playoffs. 3. How do they do that, address their biggest weakness next to center, goalie. 4. Make a splash and get fans excited to watch the game every night and sell the advertising....

Nonis is in a MUCH different position sir.

I agree with you that there is a different dynamic. It is also interesting that you had an inside perspective into the whole thing.

I think we are just talking about two different things. I think that, regardless of the ownership dynamic (hands off like the Aquilinis, or business strategists like the current MLSE group), Nonis still has his principles/philosophy, and is willing to follow those principles regardless of outside pressure.

Nonis was mentored by Burke and thus is not likely to have a radically different perspective, which is why I think that Nonis' replacing of Burke won't have a major impact on a trade for Luongo.

I'd argue there's a much different dynamic at work here than when he was in Vancouver. Not comparable at all.

Vancouver ownership was hands off and not worried about marketing vs. 'building a winner'. We have been very fortunate with the Griffiths, even McCaw, and now Acquilini are 'hockey guys' with patience.

Rogers and Bell 1. Overpaid for MLSE for one reason. The synergies with their media business. I know this for a fact because I worked for a firm that represented one of the sides in the transaction and know the financial models inside out. 2. So therefore they need to 'market' the team and what sells the team after not making the playoffs for 8 years and after a lockout, making the playoffs. 3. How do they do that, address their biggest weakness next to center, goalie. 4. Make a splash and get fans excited to watch the game every night and sell the advertising....

Nonis is in a MUCH different position sir.

Quote from Nonis "we have a short time to make some key decisions...." "need to get the green light on decisions...." "decisions to make on certain players/contracts"

*cough* bet he wants to pull the trigger on Luongo (Burke didn't for the price).

Knowing Nonis in the past, he'll do a similar deal that brought Lui to Vancouver. Original deal was Auld,Bertuzzi and Allen for Krajicek, Lui and a pick. Look for Nonis to overpay (maybe Gardiner, Bozak, Kadri for Lui and Raymond with conditional picks both ways?).

It is naïve to think one issue (Lou) would trigger the firing.

I speculate that the goaltending issue may have been the final straw but hardly the sole reason.

It's not about hockey but $$$, Burke more than likely didn't fit the image MLSE would like to go forward with.

Nonis is a likeable guy, quiet and somewhat humble; a far easier sell to non-trad markets.....meaning the multi-cultural aspect of the GTA.

The Leafs are the most valuable team in the NHL, just think what a successful team would add to the coffers.

Building from the goal out is what Burke promised & failed miserably.

We're not going to pry Gardiner out of them. Especially since they already moved Schenn.

Nonis severely underpaid in getting Luongo the first time. Now he's significantly older, and his GM is under the gun to move him. Why would he have to now severely overpay?

Because it's not a severe overpayment?

People on here just undervalue Luongo big time. The fact is he's still a number 1 goalie and a top name player in the NHL.

Someone was using Rick Nash as a basis for a trade in another thread. He was traded for Dubinsky, Anisimov, Erixon, and a 1st round pick. Surely Luongo can get a couple prospects back in a trade. No matter how overrated they are on these boards.

Archived