#1 mrluongo

mrluongo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,797 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

POPULAR

Hey, I did not notice a dedicated thread on the training camp, so I figured I would make one.

I went to the second day of camp, I posted this on HF also.

Ill upload some pictures later, but I woke up at 7:00am, and got to the stadium right when it started (coffin + muffins > life).

Prospects (early morning)

There were only two standouts, the first was frank Corrado (shocker), his skating is very very smooth, and has a much harder shot then people realize.

Actually his slapshot BROKE the glass very early on, which they had to replace after a hour or so.

The second standout was Joe Cannata who was very good in net, making significant amount of saves, but then again with no real nhl players, it's hard to judge. He has very good side 2 side movement.

Main Roster

Sedins - They were the sedins, crisp passing, movement and skating, not much to say here (except one redic pass by hank and goal by weise(drill) which got the crowd going).
Burrows - IMO He struggled for the majority of the camp, he fell down a few times, missed open nets, and skated slow (like he did not care). Then like a switch he turned it on and had a absolute snipe on a one timer near the end.
Raymond - Skated really well, made a few nice plays on the outside which he blew by tanev(I believe), Still fell down a ton with a few laughs by the crowd.
Ebbett - Similar to raymond without the falling, but needs to improve his passing significantly.
Kassian - He struggled badly today, Looked very slow, lost the puck many times, had a poor shot, and got outworked on both ends of the ice (on nearly all the drills), created very little, bad day
JS - His speed is clearly his number 1 attribute, he was flying out there and I noticed his defensive play was much much better, but still missed a ton of shots wide, and had issues making "plays" happen during the full line rushes near the end.
Booth - Was not on the ice.
Higgins - Did not notice him on the ice at all, like a ghost, not bad or good really, skated well just nothing happened.
Lappy - Smiles and giggles the whole time, skated very well, nothing stood out, overall solid.
Hansen - Did not see much of him, was focusing on others.
Volpatti - Same as Hansen
Malhotra - Skated much better this year then last year, crisp passes also, impressive day.
Weise - His skating has improved, His turn speed was one of the most obvious improvements, I think it's because he was in mid season form already, He WILL be on the fourth line this year starting.
Bieksa - Solid but sloppy, Clear rush, skated odd, fell down at least 3 times, barely hit (surprising). Except of course then he absolutely BULLED over luongo, luongo was down for a bit, both ended up laughing.
Hamhuis - Steady, best skater on the team by far, fluent, he is ready for the season. (expect Bieksa + Hamhuis pairing)
Edler - Never got beat once, was the 2nd best D-man today behind garrison, played strong and smart. (Garrison WILL pair with Edler)
Garrison - I don't have enough words to talk about how good garrison was today, He was drilling everything that moved, he crushed raymond on at least 3 occasions, and absolutely torpedoed Kassian near the end. He scored a nice goal early on, and was by far the best positional D-man in all the drills, This guy was a complete treat. Also like to mention, garrison unloaded some BOMBS at the end of practice, nearly hit like 3 people in the crowd when it reamed around the glass, had a few snipes, His shot was like Salo, powerful beyond words.
Ballard - Seemed much more comfortable, played solid, skated well, improved his shot.
Tanev - Invisible Tanev, nothing stood out good or bad.
Cory Schneider - He is one quick *********, His turning from side to side along the posts is lightning quick, was very good positionally, made a few nice saves (no highlight reals like.....)
Luongo - Made a few brilliant saves, and also joked around when a puck was going in slow motion where he leg it go between his legs. Very quick and solid, and got a nice LUUU chant when he went on the ice.
Kesler - Came out at the end to a huge cheer, skated slowing, and shot slowly, barely any movement.

I hope that helped guys.

Edited by mrluongo, 14 January 2013 - 04:52 PM.

Mr. Luongo
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#2 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

Good post, thanks for the updates. I'm glad that Corrado did well (as usual, kid's a stud), I think we could see a Garrison - Corrado pairing in our future that will shutdown everybody and generate lots of offence too.

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#3 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,083 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

Good stuff.

Thanks!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#4 Blömqvist

Blömqvist

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

I remember on Global TV during the sports segment of the news the sportscaster said that morning/noon training camp and night scrimmages are open to the public. Did I hear wrong (I did have a bit of scotch at the time, just saying) or is that actually true? If so, where? When?

#5 Nas19

Nas19

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

Kassian's back must still be bothering him. All those things you said (being slow, poor shot, losing the puck, etc) point to his back not being 100%. Hopefully he recovers quickly. We may need him in the top 6 with Kesler and potentially Booth being out.

#6 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 69,143 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

On Day 2 of Training Camp, Coach V provides an update on Booth, Vandermeer and the days ahead.

http://v.canucks.com/SAtZhz

307mg00.jpg

#7 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

Absolutely fantastic post

Did it look like Kassians back hurt?
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#8 theo5789

theo5789

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

I got there slightly late, was the glass not broken by Higgins the day before and they just replaced it today or was another glass broken?

In the first group, Gordon probably had the worst day having troubles controlling the puck, although he seemed to be having a good time and laughing it all off. Cannata definitely looked pretty solid in net and I sure hope he was just impressive rather than the inability to score from our younger players.

My impressions of Schroeder aren't really great, but that's just based on a couple of training camp days. He would get outmuscled rather easily and although he has some quickness, he's going to have to show a lot of talent to overcome his size issue. He was just plastered on the boards a couple of times by Alberts on the first day. Whenever he was part of faceoff drills, he was getting beat quite easily (even if it was against some pretty decent faceoff men in Manny and Lappy).

Raymond, Higgins and Hansen were probably the more aggressive players during camp so far with them throwing the most hits or getting hit. I'm not the biggest Raymond fan, but other than the usual falling, he has worked pretty hard in camp so far and had some decent shooting.

I agree that Garrison and Edler have probably been the more impressive dmen on the team so far on both ends of the rink. Barker hasn't shown much offensively so far, so he better solidify his defensive game if he expects ice time.

Luongo, hard to say if he's mentally checked out or not. He doesn't seem to be taking this camp seriously or maybe he's just off to his usual slow start. He was beat quite often, but I'm not too sure how he compared to Schneider as I was sitting closer to Luongo's end.
VanWhitecapsFC YouTube Page

Also mycanucksdotca on YouTube

#9 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

I know its only training camp and all, but let me be the first too say

:canucks: GO CANUCKS GO :canucks:

#10 jovocop55

jovocop55

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,953 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

how was the crowd today? thinking of going tmr..

#11 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

Team Canada failed to secure a medal this year becaue Frankie Corrado was cut from the team, what reasons is is beyond anyone's guess. He was cleary the best defencemen trying out for team Canada at the time. So it's really not shocking to see him do good.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#12 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,752 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

Kassian is still healing. He was likely going slow by choice.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#13 Derp...

Derp...

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

Cool thanks for the update you lucky people who didnt have work today!~
linden Vey Sig

#14 mrluongo

mrluongo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,797 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

no problem guys
Mr. Luongo
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#15 jovocop55

jovocop55

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,953 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

i guess no point going early tmr..

GROUP B on-ice - 9:00 – 9:45 am
Details: http://canucks.nhl.c...art.htm?dcid=83
B. Sweatt, A. Gordon
D. Archibald, A. Rodin
P. Andersson, D. Joslin
K. Connauton, F. Corrado
J. Cannata

#16 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,330 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:46 AM

AV said Kass looked "Real Solid Today".
I think I'll go with the coach on this.

Subbancopy.jpg

#17 WestCoastCanucks

WestCoastCanucks

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,399 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:34 AM

Canucks need to publicize this way better. The arena is empty. Most teams around the league are doing a great job of creating a buzz about hockey being back and have sold out rinks for these open practices so it's weird that Rogers Arena has so few people come out.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

#18 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,283 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:52 AM

I get the feeling that Corrado is going to be a good NHL defenseman for quite a while. He seems to have improved a lot. He looks like a steal at 150th Overall.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#19 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

Hosea Cheung@hosea24hours
No Booth at practice again means Kassian still on second line. Also Vandermeer not with main group. #canucks

#20 SledgeHockeyRules

SledgeHockeyRules

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

Quick question for those of you who attend games/practice regularly. I noticed that it says lower bowl only will be open for the scrimmage, does anyone know if the lower bowl has wheelchair seating? I've only ever been to one game & it was nowhere near the ice.

#21 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,395 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

Quick question for those of you who attend games/practice regularly. I noticed that it says lower bowl only will be open for the scrimmage, does anyone know if the lower bowl has wheelchair seating? I've only ever been to one game & it was nowhere near the ice.

I think I remember seeing wheelchair seating in the lower bowl behind the nets. Could be wrong though, just going by memory, have never actually sat there.

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#22 Buckeye Fruit

Buckeye Fruit

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

Ballard's shot was great. At the end of the practice, he was shooting a few slappers and they were hard and on target, by far the most impressive of the group. Garrison's shot was harder but off target more. Kassian's slapper was just pathetic. It was quite disapointing. Luo did seem lethargic or depressed. Cory looked quite good. Kes came out at the end and very gingerly skated around and took a few light shots that were on target. Dale looked like he was having a great time, very up beat. Kas worked hard but did little. Hansen and Lappy looked very good IMHO. Juice and Hammer worked well together.
<p>Posted Image GO FALCONS!

#23 CoreyPerry

CoreyPerry

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

Barker just elbowed Ebbett, I hate this guys guts already.

Always a ? about Cam Barker's intensity. He just fed elbow to Andrew Ebbett. For his career, Barker needs that intensity in games. - @imacVanSun

https://twitter.com/...266004879814657

Edited by CoreyPerry, 15 January 2013 - 01:22 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Credit to CanucksBen for Kassian sig

#24 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,397 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

lol I don't like ebbett much go barker!

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#25 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,274 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

Barker just elbowed Ebbett, I hate this guys guts already.

https://twitter.com/...266004879814657

Because he elbowed Ebbett?
Posted Image

#26 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 69,143 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

@JamiesonCanucks: #Canucks shootout to end practice: Luongo stops all 5 shooters. Schneider gives up four goals on 5 shooters.

307mg00.jpg

#27 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,048 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

Reading this post made me even more excited for Saturday.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#28 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,083 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

@JamiesonCanucks: #Canucks shootout to end practice: Luongo stops all 5 shooters. Schneider gives up four goals on 5 shooters.

Luongo probably went against the twins, Hamhuis, Weise, and Tanev.

Edited by 250Integra, 15 January 2013 - 02:13 PM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#29 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

Luongo probably went against the twins, Hamhuis, Weise, and Tanev.

They gave Schnieder a severe jonathan toewsing and threw 5 Raymond spinoramas at him scoring 4 of 5

#30 Tom Sestito

Tom Sestito

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:12 AM

Quick question: what times are the open practices, and these are going until friday right?
Posted Image
Thank you VC!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.