The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

So your basing Bryz playoff preformence off of 1 bad year last season, where he had a bad season and playoffs. Alright M-A Fluery must be a terrible playoff goalie too.

If you remember he played pretty well in the playoffs back in Anaheim.

I guess Johanton Quick was never a playoff goalie until the 2012 playoffs either. When Bryz has been on his game, he has been fine in the playoffs, when not, he has struggled. For him it is having that confidence and that Mojo.

I'm not buying your theory that the Flyers are going to right that huge check to buyout Bryz after him playing very strong just to waste assets and acquire another goalie who has a history of breakdowns in the playoffs. Sorry I'm just not buying it. If Bryz continues his strong play they will roll forward with him.

Breezy had one excellent playoff.....seven years ago. Since then his postseason numbers have been underwhelming. His save% has gone steadily down, while his GAA his steadily increased.

Believe itor not, Bryzgalov's playoff numbers in Phoenix were as bad, or maybe even worse than they were in Philly. Two years, a record of 3-8, a GAA of 3.90 and a save % of .893...

Now, while it's certainly possible that this season is a bit of a renaissance for Breezy, I personally see a bit of a trend which suggests that a repeat of last season's playoff performance is more likely than a repeat of the one from 2005, especially considering that Philly has no-one comparable to the '05 version of Scott Niedermayer....

The secondary scoring is almost the same as previous years , Raymond like most years will be inconsistant and disappear and Shroeder is far from being proven enough to be relied on for the playoffs as for Kassian , He has the tools and size to be a natural playoff performer .

We could use a quality 3rd line center making Malhotra a depth center for when injurys occur in the playoffs .

If Gillis can pull a miracle and get a quality 3rd liner who can move up to the 2nd line in case of injurys for Luongo then he has succeeded , But my guess is if there is a Luongo deal made it will be for a spare part or couple 2nd or 3rd round draft picks cause why would anybody pay a quality price for a guy they can sign after he is bought out in the off season for a much more reasonable deal

I have been a long time reader for awhile now and now I am about to become a first time poster. Alot of talk has been said about Luongo needing to be traded and how Mike Gillis has waited too long to trade him. I believe that is partially true and partially false. This is the type of trade that is made in the off season. The Canucks are off to their best start since MG took over, and that is without Kesler or Booth! Does anybody really honestly think that Lu is even going to agree to get traded anywhere at this point?! He wants to win!

If Lu is going to agree to a trade anywhere at some point this season, it would have to be a case like Tampa Bay last year. It was blatantly obvious that the only thing they needed was goaltending. When you make a trade like this in the off season, you don't really know how teams are going to end up! Did anyone guess that Buffalo would be doing this bad, even with Thomas Vanek scoring at a 2 point per game pace?! Did anyone expect the Leafs or Isles to be in playoff contention. The answer is no. If you want to sway a goalie with a no move clause (which he earned for years of hard work and service as a Canuck), it almost has to be done in the off season! The writing is pretty much on the wall now.

Secondly, the type of return people want for Lu is not crazy, but it may be less than anyone expects. Mike Ribiero got traded for a 2nd round pick last season. Is he worth his contract? That's up for debate, but I would say yes. What about Ellerby and Loktinov? Both dealt for 5th round picks. Lu is a world class goaltender and both Ellerby and Ribiero are perfect examples of what we want. So what does that say?

Honestly, we shouldn't be complaining about a Luongo depth move, where we could get 3 guys floating around the lineup (ie-Brouwer ++). The depth this team has is already pretty good. A trade involving either goalie will out the Canucks in one hell of a position to contend! I honestly think Schneids gets dealt in the end. I like him, but we can send him anywhere! Columbus, Toronto, TBay would make a play. So would Florida. Washington would too, I'm sure! And we may just land that stud Dman or young playerthat we have been looking for! Carlson, Gudbranson, Rielly, Murray. Connolly, Johansen, Bjugstad, or maybe even Huberdeau. I don't know, but if Lebron can win in a shortened season, so can Lu!!!

The secondary scoring is almost the same as previous years , Raymond like most years will be inconsistant and disappear and Shroeder is far from being proven enough to be relied on for the playoffs as for Kassian , He has the tools and size to be a natural playoff performer .

We could use a quality 3rd line center making Malhotra a depth center for when injurys occur in the playoffs .

If Gillis can pull a miracle and get a quality 3rd liner who can move up to the 2nd line in case of injurys for Luongo then he has succeeded , But my guess is if there is a Luongo deal made it will be for a spare part or couple 2nd or 3rd round draft picks cause why would anybody pay a quality price for a guy they can sign after he is bought out in the off season for a much more reasonable deal

I know his #'s in Phoenix aren't great.

To me he is like alot of goalies, he can play great when he s in his grove, when he isn't in his grove he can struggle, he wasn't in his grove in Phoenix in those bad years IMO.

He won't carry the Flyers to the cup, but he won't be the reason they lose either. And even if they did decide to go another way, it's not like it would happen anytime soon.

Yeah he's not too bad but I still see that as just making a move to get rid of a goalie and not a move to improve significantly. He's a good player but I would want a top prospect or their first plus a B grade prospect if its the Lu deal.

Mojo might make us better then Schroeder but I don't think he makes us better then Lu and Schroeder. The futures part of the package would be the deal breaker for me.

Plus McPhee keeps shooting down the Lu rumors anyways.

In my opinion I feel very comfortable keeping Lu and trading Schneider.

Lu is as is good as Schneider and has been a great team guy.

If Schneider in a trade can bring us the pieces for now and the future, why not trade him? Those pieces could be the ones that take us to the promise land and help us out at being good for many years to come.

Lu can help out our young goalies like Lack and Cannata. Show them the ropes like he did with Schneider.

After watching after hours tonight, it sounds like Lu would be fine finishing off his career here. He has close friends on the team and loves the city.

The point of including Goc in a deal is not to run down any of the Canucks roster centers nor is it to replace them. I was also looking at the players these guys are in recent history - as in the last three years (in other words, what can be reasonably expected of them at this point in their careers).

I am a believer that you can't have too many quality centers on your roster and I prefer the bottom six to have a pair of centers on a line, particularly the fourth line with it's huge load of dzone starts. Manny and Lappy together on the fourth imo make it a formidable shut down line - that allows Malhotra to approach dzone faceoffs very aggressively without fear of being waved because he has Lapierre on his wing to back him up. I don't look to Lapierre for secondary scoring - imo that's not really his role, not his strength and shouldn't have to be his focus.

I really like Schroeder - I had no doubt he'd step in and show that he's NHL ready - I don't expect marquis production from him out of the gate, but I like the depth, speed and youth factor he brings to the lineup. I wouldn't consider him an ideal third line center but certainly wouldn't be concerned if the Canucks need him to play that role, particularly if they're healthy enough (Kesler) to leave the pair of centers on the fourth line, taking some onus off the third, and not needing him to be a 2C as a rookie. Schroeder imo might be a nice option to double up on Kesler's wing.

Having Goc however, does a few things. I takes pressure off of Kesler (as Pahlsson did) - it gives the third line that dual shutdown/secondary scoring potential, and it gives the Canucks depth at the right position - they also happen to have three depth centers who are UFAs in months. It is also insurance as we simply don't know how Kesler will heal or if he will remain healthy throughout the season.

If a deal includes a young, two way center who is NHL ready, great. Shore may be enough depth to bridge the depth, but of the roster forwards Florida has, he'd be my choice. As I said before, he doesn't need to be a massive upgrade over Manny and Lappy - that's not the point imo - and if we're dealing with Florida, I'd prefer the bulk of value be spent on futures.

Archived