The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

A lot of people on this board are getting out of control in their proposals

Rick Nash, A Much younger power forward regarded as an EIite talent with a big contract went for this

Howden waited 6 months.

RANGERS ACQUIRE

F Rick Nash

D Steve Delisle

Conditional 3rd-Round Pick (2013)

BLUE JACKETS ACQUIRE

F Artem Anisimov

F Brandon Dubinsky

D Tim Erixon

1st-Round pick

I don't see any thing equal to the garbage you have all been throwing out there.

Aim lower cause when it happens half of you will jump off your house

For anyone that thinks Luongo is cool with sitting on the bench for even 1/2 the games this season needs to lay off the bath salts.

I'm not sure when or if he is already, but at some point Luongo will apply pressure

And I think the hardest part for Luongo may already be behind him.

On a certain level, after all the devaluation Luongo has endured in the media outside Vancouver (and some within), it may prove to have been more than worth it to wait this out. TSN has started to change their tune regarding Luo's value - they've been undervaluing Luongo all along - they are starting to acknowledge that Gillis has set a price and he's not going to budge - for good reason. The posturing is starting to wear thin - the reality will come to bear - there will be teams who realize that he is a serious upgrade over what they have. If they don't want to reciprocate in terms of providing a signiificant upgrade somewhere in the Canucks lineup... Luo may have to 'suffer' through another season with a legitimate chance of winning. But I don't think that'll have to happen. If the Canucks were to go on and win a Cup it would be nice if Luongo were still in the picture. Who knows?

There is a major difference between Alzner and Couturier/Gardiner.

Alzner is a defensmen in his prime who is that teams #1 and the guy they rely on. Would we move hamhuis? No, exact same situation there.

Couturier is a rare commodity, one of the best young centers in the game, if I was Philly he would be untouchable barring a drastic overpayment, Gardiner I think is fair value wise for us to ask for but judging by what Toronto fans and judging by the comments from Toronto managment I just don't see it as a realistic possibility.

Also is is clear to me Bjugstad isn't happening, I don't know a ton about him but it seems clear Bjugstad has been the target for MG since negotiations begain and Tallon hasn't budged and I don't see him budging off that stance.

Luongo's value is pretty high, he is an all-star player, but when making trades there are some players you just don't want to give up, would you give up Kassian for say, a good top 6 forward? I wouldn't. not that the top 6 forward isn't fair asking price but you have to consider how much the team covets the player and in the case of guys like Gardiner and Couturier that makes it extra hard to acquire when the team covets the player that highly.

A lot of people on this board are getting out of control in their proposals

Rick Nash, A Much younger power forward regarded as an EIite talent with a big contract went for this

Howden waited 6 months.

RANGERS ACQUIRE

F Rick Nash

D Steve Delisle

Conditional 3rd-Round Pick (2013)

BLUE JACKETS ACQUIRE

F Artem Anisimov

F Brandon Dubinsky

D Tim Erixon

1st-Round pick

I don't see any thing equal to the garbage you have all been throwing out there.

Aim lower cause when it happens half of you will jump off your house

For anyone that thinks Luongo is cool with sitting on the bench for even 1/2 the games this season needs to lay off the bath salts.

I'm not sure when or if he is already, but at some point Luongo will apply pressure

I disagree completely. Canucks don't have a player like Gardiner in their system. None of their dmen can skate as well and is that offensive. Nucks have a lot of good 2way dmen and some good defensive. Tanev and Gardiner play nothing alike.

Gardiner and Bozak

Agree, Bjugstaad, for whatever reason seems to be 'untouchable' unless they are getting a YOUNG stud back (a simple asset shift).

And good comparion on someone asking for Kassian, ie if some team was going to give us a terrific top 6 who was 33, we still wouldn't give up Kass, unless it meant that guy is going to guarantee us a run to the cup (maybe a 33 yr old Messier? :shock::frantic: )

Always appreciate an injection of reality and common sense into the conversation. Thanks for this.

The Canucks are not going to get a team's top young prospect, not going to get an " Alzner ", " Couturier ", etc... Some teams right now as many are pointing at Washington are struggling yes. Its just one week into the season and as others have pointed out some teams with poor starts have had solid goaltending performances.

Teams like Anaheim with Hiller for example are not trading for Luongo. Its been said as well in Washington that management is very high on Holtby and Neuvirth. Again one week does not make a team re-assess all their hours of scouting and investment to go and flip team assets.

I would not be surprised if Luongo remains a Canuck long into the season. Then again maybe he's moved this afternoon.

Archived