The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

True TO overrates Gardiner but he does have good potential, is a very good skater and is only 22 years old. Is he worth the same amount as Weber, Karlsson, Doughty etc, not even close but his ceiling is unknown. Aside from Rielly, JVR or Kessel, there is no one else on the Leafs that would upgrade the Canucks long term.

I don't think the Canucks need to win the lottery with this deal.

Make a concession to Tallon - thank him for all he's given the Canucks - same with Luo.

Let him keep Bjugstad. Let him keep Gudbranson, etc.

Give us an under-rated, solid third line C like Goc, and a couple good prospects including Petrovic and I'm happy.

Is that too much to ask?

It depends what people consider 'winning the lottery.'

As it stands now, when fully healthy, the Canucks do not have an open roster spot that requires urgent filling. The speculation was that the team may have trouble with both Kesler and Booth out of the line-up. If the team can get on a roll then the Canucks aren't under any internal pressure to make a deal.

Winning the lottery can be considered getting value out of a deal that shores up a few different areas of organizational need. Another quality roster player, a good prospect and a high pick in a good draft could easily be considered a win-win but so could riding the wave until the roster is healthy and the team decides on keeping both goalies.

It's a simple formula, really: The Canucks continue to win=The Price for Lou climbs, The Canucks flounder=The price for Lou stagnates.

The point is had he actually paid attention to the way Kassian had been playing rather than dumping all over him for no reason other to aggravate fans then he could have potentially seen this coming as alot of us were optimistic this might be the case, same thing goes for Schroeder.

And it's clear trading Schneider last year would have been a catastrophic mistake.

True TO overrates Gardiner but he does have good potential, is a very good skater and is only 22 years old. Is he worth the same amount as Weber, Karlsson, Doughty etc, not even close but his ceiling is unknown. Aside from Rielly, JVR or Kessel, there is no one else on the Leafs that would upgrade the Canucks long term.

I'm not sure Rick Nash is a fair comparison to Luongo - In my opinion Nash does not get you into the playoffs whereas Luo does.

Be that as it may I don't see the rush to trade Luongo before he becomes an issue to the team. From the start he has been nothing but supportive and a team player in regards to the goalie situation. He does hold the key to a deal with his NTC but if he reallys wants to play this year in a starting role he may need to widen the teams he is willing to play for. He's a franchise goalie and as such the return for him in a trade needs to be substantial - a roster player and a prospect at minimum.

However his contract does play into the equation. I think Gillis is handling this just fine and I for one am ok with us carrying two elite goalies in this shortened season. Look at it this way - if he stays until the deadline the return could be much higher. And if he stays until the off-season he's still a tradeable asset for those teams who missed the playoffs yet again.

I think the issue most people had with Kassian was not so much him as a player but the timing of the deal .

Gillis did not make this is a better team with this deal for the 2011-2012 playoffs and the team would have been better off at that point with Hodgson as his game was some what more advanced then Kassians and with a lack of offense against the kings he was more valuable in our lineup then Kassian was which left people with a bad taste in there mouth and it carried some backlash towards Kassian because of it .

As for his opinion , If people cant handle others having a different opinion and seeing things from a different perspective with out being disrespectful and taking it personally then its time they learn to burst there homer bubble and remove there damn blinders.

I know i would rather read someones post who can bring valid points that are against the grain and point out the things that everybody else is to scared to acknowledge.

There are a lot of moving parts/ variables here to consider. Say it comes down to teams like TBay, Wash, Flor & Philly. Should any of them suffer 'tender injuries, they could overpay out of necessity. It's likely a few of these noted will be scrapping for a PO spot. Also, the ownership/GM-philosophies on deals is quite different, even within this small group.

Also think a lot of this comes down to Luongo's play. If he deals out 2 or 3 beautiful starts, it could expedite the whole shebang. If he plays poorly, this will all probably be extended to the deadline in April.

Archived