3019 replies to this topic

#901 justvisiting

justvisiting

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

I want Weiss+ a prospect (Bjugistad, or a 1st rounder and Drew Shore) for Luongo + Raymond. I think Florida is really our only trade option right now. Their goal tending has been awful and they are at the bottom of the standings. With the new draft lottery their is a chance they could not even get that good of a draft pick, so why not get Lu. Markstrom isn't the stud that many thought he was going to be. Florida needs goal scoring and that's all Raymond can contribute albeit he's rather streaky with it. Weiss would be a good addition now and I think he would re-sign for less here. The prospect would be nice to, I want to re load a bit so when the Sedins retire their is still something to watch in Vancouver.

Weiss is way too risky don't you think? I mean give up Luongo for a guy that is a UFA this summer and will be looking for a long term contract for beaucoup dollars? I think that's a super bad idea personally. I really think Florida would do that deal in a second but without their 1st. They are officially in the Nathan MacKinnon/Seth Jones sweepstakes right now. ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY no way they are giving up that pick.

I think the Leafs have best prospects - Bozak to fill in for Kessler until he's back and then move to third line, Jake Gardiner (blue chip Dman), and possibly a good up and coming prospect in their organization. They are in on the MacKinnon/Jones sweepstakes so they're not giving 1st rounder again.

#902 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

With Lou getting the start tonight it looks like its a showcase game, I'm thinking something's close.

#903 Skead

Skead

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

With Lou getting the start tonight it looks like its a showcase game, I'm thinking something's close.

Ryan O'Reilly? jk jk
Hope Florida.

Edited by Skead, 30 January 2013 - 01:08 PM.

#904 justvisiting

justvisiting

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

Ryan O'Reilly? jk jk
Hope Florida.

Who do you think Florida will offer back?

#905 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

This Lou trade is like a perpetual Christmas Eve that will never end, can it be Christmas already?

#906 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,162 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

I think Schultz certainly sets a precedent though, a contract loophole that players coming out of college may have otherwise been ignorant to. There is also Wheeler, who neglected to sign with Pheonix who drafted him 5th overall in 04, signed with Boston and has yet to play a single game in the minors.

In my mind the decision is simple for young players, go to university, get a degree by staying the 4 years, then go to free agency and sign with whichever team you like, not being confined to serfdom by the team that said your name 4 years earlier.

I'm thinking this could be a worse contract loophole than the NHL/KHL agreement. I could see NCAA prospects being taken later in their respective drafts, meaning longer development plans.

It is a big concern especially since Schultz is having such success.

A couple of downside risks are lost earnings while at college and the ever present threat of injury. The lost wages for 4 years is one thing but a lost career through injury, possibly without significant insurance, is another. The college kids coming in at 22 or 23 will also only get a probable 2 year deal. Real studs like Eberle and RNH are already extending their deals after fast starts.

#907 5minutemajor

5minutemajor

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

A couple of downside risks are lost earnings while at college and the ever present threat of injury. The lost wages for 4 years is one thing but a lost career through injury, possibly without significant insurance, is another. The college kids coming in at 22 or 23 will also only get a probable 2 year deal. Real studs like Eberle and RNH are already extending their deals after fast starts.

Do we know for sure that the new CBA still allows the "Shultz" loophole???

Edited by 5minutemajor, 30 January 2013 - 01:32 PM.

#908 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

1-5 to start the year with 24 GA and 10 GF.

OUCH.

Tallon is in no hurry to do well. Money is tight, they cannot resign Weis, they cannot afford Luongo who would become their best player- the face of their franchise and give them credibility. Tallon wants to tank big and get Seth Jones

#909 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

Do we know for sure that the new CBA still allows the "Shultz" loophole???

i was wondering the same thing, it seems ridiculous that a 22year old that has never played an NHL game has the same freedom that would take another player 8years of service to get. At the least the team should get some compensation if the player walks like they do if a 1st round pick goes unsigned. ( i assume bjustad would qualify for this) but schultz as a 2nd rounder did not.

#910 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,284 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

Or Gillis has decided there's nothing close that he's happy with so he's taking him off the market. Might be a way to pressure other teams interested.

Edited by MJDDawg, 30 January 2013 - 01:57 PM.

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#911 Skead

Skead

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

Who do you think Florida will offer back?

If Tallon starts to get really pressured from Management then maybe Bjugstad / Roster Dump / Pick or if Gillis gets pressure to trade Luo then maybe Howden / Roster Player / Pick.

Just a gut feeling, if FLA keeps losing they'll want to make a push for Luo. Not because their Goaltending is the only issue, because they can't score either, but it would shake things up in the dressing room and maybe kick start this team.

#912 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

Lp
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#913 cripplereh

cripplereh

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

Well from the start MG wanted and still does 1: help now 2.young gun and 3. high draft pick. maybe modify one of them and take a roster dump if it is an awesome young player, but I don't see anything from what he wants back changing at all.I would take Weiss as him and booth have played together and kess can play wing when back.but again we would want atleast a 2nd and young player like a forward as our d is set for years or a young goalie!!I am not going to put in names as to many have and most deals I see put here will never happen!!
Posted Image

#914 theminister

theminister

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,299 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

i was wondering the same thing, it seems ridiculous that a 22year old that has never played an NHL game has the same freedom that would take another player 8years of service to get. At the least the team should get some compensation if the player walks like they do if a 1st round pick goes unsigned. ( i assume bjustad would qualify for this) but schultz as a 2nd rounder did not.

You are forgetting that the player has also not been the recipient of 4 years of mentorship and development by an NHL organization. College hockey programs can be good but they can also not be to the benefit of the player. NCAA teams are interested more in winning than in development.

The 8 years their rights belong to an NHL team is offset by the heavy financial investment they make in training and player development. Schultz is the anomaly. A young player that signs with an NHL team has a much better chance of growing into a full-time NHL player than one goes for the education. Saying that, more junior aged hockey players should concentrate on getting an education as the odds of making the NHL are slim to none for most kids.

small.pngNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEsmall.png

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#915 Niklas Jensen

Niklas Jensen

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

Luongo has officially won his starting job back. We now officially has a 26 year old, 4 mil cap hit backup in cory schneider. Congrats Lu on winning what was yours to begin with.

GM's - please start scrapping your proposals for lu and start making new ones for Schneider
Our D's must make opponent fowards going to the net PAY THE PRICE

#916 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

Luongo has officially won his starting job back.

:picard:

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#917 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,905 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

MG could be showcasing Luongo, we'll probably win tonight while Washington,Florida and Philly watch.

#918 Italia2006

Italia2006

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

If Tallon starts to get really pressured from Management then maybe Bjugstad / Roster Dump / Pick or if Gillis gets pressure to trade Luo then maybe Howden / Roster Player / Pick.

Just a gut feeling, if FLA keeps losing they'll want to make a push for Luo. Not because their Goaltending is the only issue, because they can't score either, but it would shake things up in the dressing room and maybe kick start this team.

And who the hell is going to want to go to a Panthers game? Lu will get people to the arena and Bjugstad won't do anything for the Panthers for a few more years when he becomes a star.
Panther's ownership will be all over Tallon if they believe Luongo will help sell tickets.

#919 Niklas Jensen

Niklas Jensen

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

:picard:

why? instead of having a 5.3 mil cap hit backup, we have a 4mil cap hit backup. We should be happy.

#920 Edler's Mind Tricks

Edler's Mind Tricks

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

On the other hand you have a real college degree that can help you after your career...

Hockey Management Intern for UBC Thunderbirds.
Associate Editor for Dobber Sports Network.
Designing a UBC Hockey Management Degree.

#921 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

why? instead of having a 5.3 mil cap hit backup, we have a 4mil cap hit backup. We should be happy.

In what world does starting two straight games mean Luongo has won the starting job back? Terrible logic.

Edited by Steven Stamkos' Mullet, 30 January 2013 - 03:48 PM.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

#922 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,162 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

On the other hand you have a real college degree that can help you after your career...

The degree in Hockey Stick Manufacture is saturated. Just like lawyering. Even Kenny Dryden had to go into politics to make a living. :(

#923 Niklas Jensen

Niklas Jensen

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

In what world does starting two straight games mean Luongo has won the starting job back? Terrible logic.

dude, home game start, division rival. Hello? sounds pretty Starter-like to me.

#924 Edler's Mind Tricks

Edler's Mind Tricks

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

The degree in Hockey Stick Manufacture is saturated. Just like lawyering. Even Kenny Dryden had to go into politics to make a living. :(

http://www.basehockey.ca/ by Cliff Ronning.

Hockey Management Intern for UBC Thunderbirds.
Associate Editor for Dobber Sports Network.
Designing a UBC Hockey Management Degree.

#925 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

dude, home game start, division rival. Hello? sounds pretty Starter-like to me.

I'm almost certain Luongo is getting this game not only because he stole a point for us the other night, but to give Schneider some extra rest for Friday against Chicago.

#926 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,967 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

I'm almost certain Luongo is getting this game not only because he stole a point for us the other night, but to give Schneider some extra rest for Friday against Chicago.

Why would he need rest... it's not a back to back game.

Luongo just played better and he's getting the start if u ask me
WHATCHU GONNA DO WHEN MILLERMANIA RUNS WILDDDD ON YOU?!

#927 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

This is right.
If he doesn't sign by June 2014 he's an FA.
That's a big risk if hes the centrepiece.

Such risks are drastically minimized when faced with the Gillis regime and the great Canucks. He'd sign almost right away.

#928 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,192 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

Wow Kadri and Bozak are above Grabovski on the depth chart?

Reimer and Scrivens are bad?

Bryz has a .929 SV% and a 2.19GAA... How much better does he have to play to consider himself 'picked up' ?

Do you even watch other teams??

Actually I do, and sorry my mistake, Kadri is the 3rd line center I guess although he is one of the top scorers on there team.

I have center ice and have watched as many Philly games as I can, Bryz has had his bad moments and his decent moments, nothing spectacular. Defense needs work which is where they will concintrate assets anyways IMO.

But like I said it is an unlikely possibility anyways, so not sure where you are going with this.

zackass.png

#929 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,262 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

Why would he need rest... it's not a back to back game.

Luongo just played better and he's getting the start if u ask me

If you ask me, it's because Chicago has historically given Lou problems, while Schneider doesn't seem to get rattled as easily by certain match-ups.

Case in point: The Chicago and Boston starts that CS got last season, even though he was the back-up.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#930 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,192 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

So who would we get from Washington?? Neuvirth & Hendricks??

Realistically, I think a package around Orlov could be had if MG is willing to take on a Russian.

Or else perhaps we could get a 1st+ other things, personally I would look at Orlov though if we plan on offloading a D-man in the offseason.

zackass.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.