The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

Bruce Garrioch

Lots of teams are waiting to see where the dominos fall with Vancouver G Roberto Luongo before making a move for a netminder. Canucks GM Mike Gillis has told several teams he's not doing anything until he gets his asking price. Yes, the Edmonton Oilers have what it takes to acquire Luongo, but he wouldn't approve a trade there. The Panthers don't want to make a deal unless Gillis is willing to take cash back. The Canucks know the pressure is mounting in some markets to win and they'll find a desperate GM trying to save his job, maybe even Washington or Philly.

TO isn't going to give up Kessel. Although I must admit, I would rather have had their 2 first round picks.

Although they have suck a bad drafting record, and an even poorer development record (the drafting is a crap-shoot, but development is all on them) I think they probably got a better player in Kessel than they would have had if they had kept those pics... They (Nonis and Burke) don't actually "develop" their pics, they just hope they work out... At least that is the optics.

So no more about TO please, it is sickening. I would love to see TO be a great team, it would be great for hockey. Problem is all these losing years and very little young talent. bah! it's depressing just thinking about it.

Central

I think it is safe to say that this division will be won by the Hawks or Blues. Predators will still be competitive Wings will take a step back this year and the Blue Jackets are the Blue Jackets. Hawks Blues Predators all make the playoffs. Red Wings feel the effect of the post Lidstrom era. The draft lottery will be fixed and the Wings get Seth Jones ;) Just my opinion but Luongo will not end up in the Central.

Pacific

Same thing I think the Sharks and The Kings will fight it out for the division. The Ducks and Stars will also be competitive and make the playoffs. The Ducks have a big offseason and need to make the playoffs. Luongo could help them but I think they stick with Hiller. The Stars are set in Goal and getting Benn resigned early in the season is huge for their playoff push. Great season for the Coyotes last year but they will be on the outside looking in. Sharks Kings Ducks and Stars all make the Playoffs. Luongo does not go to the Pacific.

North West

Short and sweet Canucks win the Division. They are the only team from their division to make the playoffs. Gillis will not trade Luongo to any team in the North West unless he some how has esp and knows that the Wild will be realigned to the east next year.

West Recap

In

Canucks

Blues

Sharks

Black Hawks

Kings

Stars

Predators

Ducks

Out

Wild

Oilers

Coyotes

Aves

Red Wings

Flames

Blue Jackets

This is not in any order of how I think the teams will finnish in the standings besides the obvious teams I have making the playoffs. The only team that is not in our division that could make the playoffs with Luongo is the Red Wing but like I said before I do not see them making a play for him. Luongo will not stay in the west

North East

I think the Bruins will win the division the Senators a close second. The Sabres are on the Bubble they have a goalie and have no need for Luongo. Canadiens have Price same as the Sabres. The laughable Leafs don't need to say alot about them they could make the playoffs with Luongo and with out a doubt could use him. It has been speculated at nauseum that he could end up in Toronto. I think Nonis is going to wait as long as he can before he caves in to Gillis's asking price.

Atlantic

The toughest division in the league in my opinion. I think the Rangers will win the division. The Penguins and Flyers fight it out for the second and third spots both making the playoffs. The Devils and Islanders will be golfing. The Flyers Devils and Islanders could all use Luongo. Brodeur is not getting any younger but the Devils are not in a financial postion to take on Luongos contract. The Islanders are assembling a good young group of players but the Dipietro contract really hurts them making a play for Luongo. Gillis has already gone on record saying he will not except a player that is just a salary dump or a potential buyout contract. The Flyers where to start. As out there as Bryzgalov is the Flyers will still make the playoffs. Could they use Luongo? With out a doubt but I would say their top priority is a defence man or two. Bryzgalov's contract is also a issue that I can not see getting resolved until the offseason. The X factor for me is Paul Holmgren he is by far the most agressive GM in the league and he has publicly told Bryzgalov to shut up and play. I wish more GM's in the league were like him.

South East

This division is wide open to me. The Caps will win the division and the Hurricanes finish in second. The only teams that do not have real questions about their goaltending are the Hurricanes and Jets. The Lightning went out and got a young unproven goalie that could get them in the playoffs. Luongo I think would put this team over the top but Yzerman is sticking to his guns plus the Lecavalier contract. Would I consider Lecavalier for Luongo straight up..... I would but Gillis is not going to take that contract on. Much like the Leafs the Panther have been in on Luongo from the very begining. Tallon has assembled a great group of young talent but unlike Brian Burke Tallon is showing patience with his prospects. I do think that after making the playoffs last year and the loss of revenue from the lockout that the ownership group is going to be putting pressure on Tallon to make the playoffs again and Luongo I think would get them there. Bjugstad is the main player Gillis wants out of Floridia. Tallon has said he is not willing to move him but Bjugstad is not on their roster this year and would not effect their chances of making the playoffs. Floridia is still right near the top for Luongo. The Caps I have them winning the division but another division title and making the playoffs is just not good enough anymore in Washington. George Mcphee is starting to feel the pressure and getting a goalie who could put you in the finals could save his job. I think they are one of the only teams that are willing and have the assets Gillis wants back.

East Recap

In

Bruins

Senators

Rangers

Flyers

Penguins

Hurricanes

Capitals

Bubble

Lightining

Sabres

Panthers

Out

Canadiens

Devils

Islanders

Jets

Leafs - Luongo could change that

I think Luongo ends up in the East with only three teams really being intrested Philly(I would hate to play poker against Holmgren) could be number four. Nonis seems to want to give his young guys a chance to play. It seems less and less likley Luongo will be a leaf. The Panthers is where he wants to go but is Tallon going to move the assets in order to get the deal done? I think he could for teams like the Panthers making the playoffs is huge post lockout. Washington I think is the team Gillis was referring to in the Cam Cole interview. They still have Holtby but Luongo would really put this team in the mix for a cup. I say he ends up in Washington. I am not going to put a proposal together as alot of the CDCer's have put proposals that I think are close to what we may get back.

This is just my opinion B)

If teams aren't interested in Luongo, wouldn't they simply go ahead and look elsewhere, and cut a deal if it's there? If in fact alot of them are waiting, wouldn't that suggest they are interested in Luongo - otherwise I don't buy the logic of him holding up other deals - if anything teams with goaltenders that they may want to move prior to acquiring Luongo could heat up the talks before his deal as much as after.

Everyone was happy when Hodgson was playing the third line last year, was mad when we traded him away. So why can't Schroeder play the third line and be effective ? I'd say he's faster, more tenacious and defensively responsible than Hodgson.

Raymond - Kesler - Booth

Burrows - Schroeder - Hansen

While I can understand that people want more of a hard grinding and big center, but Kesler has been known to shutdown lines by himself and Burrows and Hansen on that line are excellent checkers, have speed and good skill to put up points.

Everyone was happy when Hodgson was playing the third line last year, was mad when we traded him away. So why can't Schroeder play the third line and be effective ? I'd say he's faster, more tenacious and defensively responsible than Hodgson.

Raymond - Kesler - Booth

Burrows - Schroeder - Hansen

While I can understand that people want more of a hard grinding and big center, but Kesler has been known to shutdown lines by himself and Burrows and Hansen on that line are excellent checkers, have speed and good skill to put up points.

Central

I think it is safe to say that this division will be won by the Hawks or Blues. Predators will still be competitive Wings will take a step back this year and the Blue Jackets are the Blue Jackets. Hawks Blues Predators all make the playoffs. Red Wings feel the effect of the post Lidstrom era. The draft lottery will be fixed and the Wings get Seth Jones ;) Just my opinion but Luongo will not end up in the Central.

Pacific

Same thing I think the Sharks and The Kings will fight it out for the division. The Ducks and Stars will also be competitive and make the playoffs. The Ducks have a big offseason and need to make the playoffs. Luongo could help them but I think they stick with Hiller. The Stars are set in Goal and getting Benn resigned early in the season is huge for their playoff push. Great season for the Coyotes last year but they will be on the outside looking in. Sharks Kings Ducks and Stars all make the Playoffs. Luongo does not go to the Pacific.

North West

Short and sweet Canucks win the Division. They are the only team from their division to make the playoffs. Gillis will not trade Luongo to any team in the North West unless he some how has esp and knows that the Wild will be realigned to the east next year.

West Recap

In

Canucks

Blues

Sharks

Black Hawks

Kings

Stars

Predators

Ducks

Out

Wild

Oilers

Coyotes

Aves

Red Wings

Flames

Blue Jackets

This is not in any order of how I think the teams will finnish in the standings besides the obvious teams I have making the playoffs. The only team that is not in our division that could make the playoffs with Luongo is the Red Wing but like I said before I do not see them making a play for him. Luongo will not stay in the west

North East

I think the Bruins will win the division the Senators a close second. The Sabres are on the Bubble they have a goalie and have no need for Luongo. Canadiens have Price same as the Sabres. The laughable Leafs don't need to say alot about them they could make the playoffs with Luongo and with out a doubt could use him. It has been speculated at nauseum that he could end up in Toronto. I think Nonis is going to wait as long as he can before he caves in to Gillis's asking price.

Atlantic

The toughest division in the league in my opinion. I think the Rangers will win the division. The Penguins and Flyers fight it out for the second and third spots both making the playoffs. The Devils and Islanders will be golfing. The Flyers Devils and Islanders could all use Luongo. Brodeur is not getting any younger but the Devils are not in a financial postion to take on Luongos contract. The Islanders are assembling a good young group of players but the Dipietro contract really hurts them making a play for Luongo. Gillis has already gone on record saying he will not except a player that is just a salary dump or a potential buyout contract. The Flyers where to start. As out there as Bryzgalov is the Flyers will still make the playoffs. Could they use Luongo? With out a doubt but I would say their top priority is a defence man or two. Bryzgalov's contract is also a issue that I can not see getting resolved until the offseason. The X factor for me is Paul Holmgren he is by far the most agressive GM in the league and he has publicly told Bryzgalov to shut up and play. I wish more GM's in the league were like him.

South East

This division is wide open to me. The Caps will win the division and the Hurricanes finish in second. The only teams that do not have real questions about their goaltending are the Hurricanes and Jets. The Lightning went out and got a young unproven goalie that could get them in the playoffs. Luongo I think would put this team over the top but Yzerman is sticking to his guns plus the Lecavalier contract. Would I consider Lecavalier for Luongo straight up..... I would but Gillis is not going to take that contract on. Much like the Leafs the Panther have been in on Luongo from the very begining. Tallon has assembled a great group of young talent but unlike Brian Burke Tallon is showing patience with his prospects. I do think that after making the playoffs last year and the loss of revenue from the lockout that the ownership group is going to be putting pressure on Tallon to make the playoffs again and Luongo I think would get them there. Bjugstad is the main player Gillis wants out of Floridia. Tallon has said he is not willing to move him but Bjugstad is not on their roster this year and would not effect their chances of making the playoffs. Floridia is still right near the top for Luongo. The Caps I have them winning the division but another division title and making the playoffs is just not good enough anymore in Washington. George Mcphee is starting to feel the pressure and getting a goalie who could put you in the finals could save his job. I think they are one of the only teams that are willing and have the assets Gillis wants back.

East Recap

In

Bruins

Senators

Rangers

Flyers

Penguins

Hurricanes

Capitals

Bubble

Lightining

Sabres

Panthers

Out

Canadiens

Devils

Islanders

Jets

Leafs - Luongo could change that

I think Luongo ends up in the East with only three teams really being intrested Philly(I would hate to play poker against Holmgren) could be number four. Nonis seems to want to give his young guys a chance to play. It seems less and less likley Luongo will be a leaf. The Panthers is where he wants to go but is Tallon going to move the assets in order to get the deal done? I think he could for teams like the Panthers making the playoffs is huge post lockout. Washington I think is the team Gillis was referring to in the Cam Cole interview. They still have Holtby but Luongo would really put this team in the mix for a cup. I say he ends up in Washington. I am not going to put a proposal together as alot of the CDCer's have put proposals that I think are close to what we may get back.

This is just my opinion B)

Luongo on the bench is not helping us, I am surprised MG wouldnt at least take a little salary back in order to get the trade done, ex: reinprecht- he took some salary back there so that we got Booth for two useless aging veterans.

If the trade is to florida and Tallon needs some salary taken back, MG should try and make it work, especially as Lou wants to go there, would be happiest there and Lou has done so much for this organization

Here's our problem;

Burrows at 4.5 Million a year is pretty hefty for third line duties, and I think Schroeder can be an awesome top 6 player, but lacking bottom 6. We need a big, two way center for the 3rd line.

Sedins-Kassian

Booth-Kesler-Burrows

Higgins-3rd Center-Hansen

Weise-Lapierre-Volpatti

Spares/Trade: Raymond or Higgins

What's wrong with our D?

I don't see any defenseman us getting back knocking any of our top 4 out. And Ballard and Tanev have been a great bottom pair.

I think we need a good centerman to bolster the third line or a gritty winger. And we need an elite center prospect to shore up our depth down the middle for the future.

What's wrong with our D?

I don't see any defenseman us getting back knocking any of our top 4 out. And Ballard and Tanev have been a great bottom pair.

I think we need a good centerman to bolster the third line or a gritty winger. And we need an elite center prospect to shore up our depth down the middle for the future.

Archived