The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] What pieces do we actually need out of a Luongo trade?

It's still very early on in the season but so far, there have been many pleasant surprises for the Canucks.

Raymond: For someone who only about 2 weeks ago would have been traded, and was considered useless by about 90-95% of all fans on this board. He has had a great start to the season, and has succeeded in drawing penalties, playing well defensively and of course, finding his scoring touch that he had back in 2009/10. Part of the reason for this success is because he had started to go hard to the net again, and go to the dirty areas which has really made him a more complete player.

His play thus far is worthy of keeping him around, he has great speed and his 2-way ability has made him a great top 6/9 forward this season

Kassian: Through the first 4 games of this season, he has un-arguably been our best player. He has really brought a new dimension to our top 6. He hits, fights, plays defence, plays the cycle-game with the Sedins, and of course scores.

He has truly showed his potential of being a Top-6 Power-forward who can stand up for teammates

Ballard/Tanev: They have been a great shutdown pair for us thus far, Ballard has shown he can play a slowed down, non-risky type of hockey and his emotion/grit and Tanev's calmness with the puck make for a very reliable 3rd pairing.

Schroeder: After only being called up for 2 games, this guy has had so many scoring chances, and is making some amazing passes for his linemates, evident in his pass to Raymond on Raymond's 2nd goal tonight against the Ducks. His defensive play has also been up to par, and his speed and playmaking ability has really elevated our Top ( (compared to the slower, yet grittier Ebbett)

In summary, we've found:

A potential 3rd line Centre- Jordan Schroeder

A productive power forward: Zack Kassian

A stable 3rd D-pairing/defensive depth- Ballard,Tanev,etc

Second line scoring- Mason Raymond

So my question is,

What pieces should we try to acquire in a trade for Luongo? We no longer are in desperate need of a 3rd line centre (if Schroeder keeps producing), a powerforward to protect the Sedins/score (If Kassian continues his STELLAR play) or just secondary scoring in general if Raymond continues his comeback, and rotates in and out of the top 6 once Kes and Booth are back.

I think if these 5 players continue their play (not to mention Schneider's play) Gillis will no longer be stressed to trade Luongo and he can pick and choose what pieces he wants now. With the positions that were in question at the beginning of the season now coming together,

I'm hoping Gillis trades for primarily NHL ready, Kassian like prospects who can bolster our propect pool and for a draft pick in this year's draft. A roster player should be added, but I think prospects should be what Gillis focuses on now that our roster is solifying it's holes by its self

I won't discuss what team I think Luongo will go to (if traded), but what I mean by Kassian-like NHL prospects would be players like Scott Laughton, Tyler Biggs, Brett Connolly, etc

So,

What do you guys think we should look at getting for Luongo, now that the teams holes are being filled within our own system?

Yeah good question.

Until I wrote this I didn't realize how deep they actually are:

After how they've been playing of late (can you say DEPTH?)

Dan - Hank - Kassian (KEEP THIS LINE)

Burrows - Kesler - Hansen (they've worked before, 3 speedy two-way demons who can score)

Raymond - Schroeder - Booth (Ray - Shray has worked well; Booth also has speed, plus he's physical and Shray can set him up)

Higgins - Lapierre - Weise (surprised Higgins regressed of late; this line has offensive potential though)

Malhotra, Volpatti (he's played well, just that with the regulars back someone has to go and unfortunately it's him)

Edler - Garrison

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Ballard - Tanev

Vandermeer, Barker, Alberts

Schneider

Great post +1.

I want futures, we have all the depth we need. (Current consensus lineup with with Kes and Booth healthy has either Higgins or Hansen on the 4th with Lappy and Manny/Weise/Volpatti, that's sick depth)

Then on the backend Ballard and Tanev are perfectly capable of playing 20+ minutes in my mind, and if Hammer and Juice get on there game that leaves us with 3 pairs capable of 20+.

We have everything we need on our roster, this is our time to address futures, we need to get prospects and picks. I wouldn't mind someone who is NHL capable now, and is still young with potential (Kadri, Johansson, exc) but if we could get a good future prospect or 2 that will take longer to develop that is fine with me too.

No question in my mind (and I have said this for awhile) that we need to look to get future assets in this deal to restock the cupboard with more quality.

I love all you posted. I would have to agree with everyone by saying draft picks. We need to address that area for sure. As far as the now? Id say another forward to help out and maybe a cheap backup goaltender. Lack will get his. We've been blessed with great tender coaching as well as goalies! But for now a secondary tender and forward is what we need this instant.

the problem with the prospects,picks equation is that there are very few teams that are able to absorb Luongo's cap hit without sending back significant salary in return. Those that do have the space are generally operating under an internal cap and wouldn't take on Luongo's salary. either that or they are in markets that Luongo would never accept a trade to (ie Columbus)

Luongo MAY fetch a decent prospect and pick, but not without some salary in return. Sure Vancouver could choose to eat some of his salary in a trade, but are they really better off in that case? Be interesting to see if this ever actually gets resolved

I'm so god damn happy about this.

Kassian is playing great, our depth is stepping up, our bottom pair of defence has been our best pair, and schneider's had two straight solid games.

This is going to help GMMG so much. It's proving that he doesn't NEED anything. I'm super happy about this.

If this was like two weeks ago, when everyone thought we'd flunk hard, and we needed a bottom pair defenceman, a top 6 power forward, and a 3rd line centre, then our return wouldn't have been as strong.

GMMG I've loved everything you've done for this team, and right now it's your chance to make a real great deal while teams like Philly, and Washington are struggling.

:towel: in GMMG we trust.

Another point: Sneaky Buttman may spring expansion on us, to break up our potential monopoly(where we can only protect 14 or so of our brilliant cast). In this scenario, it's wise to recycle some of our fine, yet perhaps surplus talent, into future picks(particularly with franchises that may dip in coming yrs...)

You can count another plus from me good Sirsington.

I've said it for months, our prospects are legit! Just look at Kassian evolving his physical game with some scoring, Schroeder developing a reliable two way game on top of the dynamic forward we knew he could be, Corrado getting the team Canada invite, Cannata with a 1.70 GAA in the AHL as a rookie, Gaunce's recent streak in the month of January, and Jensen destroying the SEL as a 19 y/o! Our current roster is of course what you were referring to, so back to topic.

We're really deep this year. This current roster has shown tremendous upside despite the loss of 2 of our top 6. As another poster pointed out, AV is going to have a plethora of options when Kesler/Booth get back. For now though, this roster seems dominant and I'd really avoid trying to fix something that isn't broken.

So, like most of the posters on here, I would like to see a return consisting of a 1st and a top prospect. The prospect would ideally be a big centre who can play wing, or a RH D-man - as our left side is stacked. Even now I can't see any roster addition knocking off the guys we have now, combined with competing for the guys that will be returning to the lineup.

For right now, I'd rather keep Luongo for the condensed season. I don't like the idea of moving him at the trade deadline, as we saw last year, the shakeup to our game structure with the shipping out of Hodgson and the movement towards a checking 3rd line with Pahlsson backfired tremendously. So if Luongo gets dealt, it should either be soon and for picks/prospects or be done at the end of the season.

I think the best thing to do would be Bjugstad and a second for Luongo.... Bjugstad could play in the playoffs and not burn off a year (same with jensen) so in the play offs we could have

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Booth Kesler Burrows

Raymond Bjugstad Jensen

Higgins Lappy Hansen

Hamuis Bieksa

Edler Garisson

Ballard Tanev

Schnieder

Lack

That offensive depth... now thats an offense where you really can run all 4 lines... which you need in the play offs

It's still very early on in the season but so far, there have been many pleasant surprises for the Canucks.

Raymond: For someone who only about 2 weeks ago would have been traded, and was considered useless by about 90-95% of all fans on this board. He has had a great start to the season, and has succeeded in drawing penalties, playing well defensively and of course, finding his scoring touch that he had back in 2009/10. Part of the reason for this success is because he had started to go hard to the net again, and go to the dirty areas which has really made him a more complete player.

His play thus far is worthy of keeping him around, he has great speed and his 2-way ability has made him a great top 6/9 forward this season

Kassian: Through the first 4 games of this season, he has un-arguably been our best player. He has really brought a new dimension to our top 6. He hits, fights, plays defence, plays the cycle-game with the Sedins, and of course scores.

He has truly showed his potential of being a Top-6 Power-forward who can stand up for teammates

Ballard/Tanev: They have been a great shutdown pair for us thus far, Ballard has shown he can play a slowed down, non-risky type of hockey and his emotion/grit and Tanev's calmness with the puck make for a very reliable 3rd pairing.

Schroeder: After only being called up for 2 games, this guy has had so many scoring chances, and is making some amazing passes for his linemates, evident in his pass to Raymond on Raymond's 2nd goal tonight against the Ducks. His defensive play has also been up to par, and his speed and playmaking ability has really elevated our Top ( (compared to the slower, yet grittier Ebbett)

In summary, we've found:

A potential 3rd line Centre- Jordan Schroeder

A productive power forward: Zack Kassian

A stable 3rd D-pairing/defensive depth- Ballard,Tanev,etc

Second line scoring- Mason Raymond

So my question is,

What pieces should we try to acquire in a trade for Luongo? We no longer are in desperate need of a 3rd line centre (if Schroeder keeps producing), a powerforward to protect the Sedins/score (If Kassian continues his STELLAR play) or just secondary scoring in general if Raymond continues his comeback, and rotates in and out of the top 6 once Kes and Booth are back.

I think if these 5 players continue their play (not to mention Schneider's play) Gillis will no longer be stressed to trade Luongo and he can pick and choose what pieces he wants now. With the positions that were in question at the beginning of the season now coming together,

I'm hoping Gillis trades for primarily NHL ready, Kassian like prospects who can bolster our propect pool and for a draft pick in this year's draft. A roster player should be added, but I think prospects should be what Gillis focuses on now that our roster is solifying it's holes by its self

I won't discuss what team I think Luongo will go to (if traded), but what I mean by Kassian-like NHL prospects would be players like Scott Laughton, Tyler Biggs, Brett Connolly, etc

So,

What do you guys think we should look at getting for Luongo, now that the teams holes are being filled within our own system?

Archived