Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

The "Drop Pass"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
53 replies to this topic

#1 six-0h-four-

six-0h-four-

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

The main guilty parties of this horrific maneuver are Alex Edler and Kevin Bieksa. I think that it is the most brutal play to watch in the Canucks' arsenal, even when it works.

First of all, when it doesn't work, you look like a complete dope. Second of all it is becoming far too predictable. And finally, you lose all your momentum entering the zone. Even on a power play, it just doesn't seem feasable to me, and is just scarring to watch.

My body literally cringes every time one of the forementioned uses this tactic. Am I wrong for feeling this way? Or am I not alone?

Edited by six-0h-four-, 28 January 2013 - 02:00 PM.

Follow me @CurtisEastman on Twitter.

#2 The Analyst

The Analyst

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

I said this my thread. "It's the defenition of insanity"
gabriel_macht_live.gif

#3 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,770 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

Yeah, everyone figured it out last year, I don't know why we're still doing the same thing, I think we need new coaching everywhere.

AV is showing he's pretty much useless, says the same thing every game, doesn't talk to his players...can't change his gameplan on the fly, actually only has had 1 plan for years... rely on his goalie, the twins and Kes.

Sedins can't coach a team..

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#4 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

says the same thing every game, doesn't talk

lol

Chopper-for-life-7-600x200.png

If we don't even dump one veteran, I'll stop posting on CDC until October 7th. It's that disappointing. - Tom Sestito, June 27th.

#5 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,556 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

It's pretty much asking for the other team to score short handed on you.

We saw it with the agressive penalty killing of LA. It's so obvious when they're about to do it, that if the Pker times it right it's easy pickings.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#6 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

I think when it was in place, the point was to rush the puck to center ice, drop it to Henrik, who skates over to Daniel, leaves it for Daniel, and have Daniel try and saucer the pass towards the net for an easy tip in for Burr, who stands at the opposite side of Daniel and just crashes the net. Otherwise, it would be, again, the puck carrier rushing into the zone and instead of dropping it off to someone at the blue line after crossing, drive around the defender and crash the net and hope for a centering pass for an easy tap in...

Now that it's so easy and predictable, it just looks useless... It's still effective but now teams know it's coming so it's useless.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#7 combover

combover

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

i think pp is the assistant coaches job.
I trick pony, every team in the league knows how the nucks gain the zone on the pp . time to come up with some thing new. also did the nets move it seems like every shot from the point goes wide.
sedins don't seem to working the down low play very often either they just put it to the point.
on another note this team seems like they are never mentally prepared to start the game maybe some pre game changes should be tried to get these guys motivated.
my warn status is for calling it like i saw it with Dave the donut Nonis. apparently the owners agreed

#8 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 25,556 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

Kesler and Salo were the ones who excelled at zone entry, so it's not surprising that the PP is struggling.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#9 #RyanKesler17

#RyanKesler17

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

It's just not as smooth anymore. Way to predictable. The only predictable move that gets pulled off now is burrows "bread and butter" shutout deke.

#10 Fred65

Fred65

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

P/P Regardless if the opposition know what's going to happen it still wrong foots them. The opposition must back up at the speed of the first puck carrier ... if they don't he blows passed them. When the drop pass is made the opposition has to react by stopping up and in doing so give up the blue line for a clean entry. It's a good move that just needs to be practised again and again. Another point is it helps the second unit because they rarely use it and the opposition are expecting it.

No problem from me

#11 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

FIRE Newell Brown.

The drop pass stopped working about half way through last season. Everyone knew it was coming. Yet we couldn't change it up. And in the playoffs, Edlers' drop pass inside our own blue line was picked off and allowed the Kings to score and win the game.

Yet here we are doing it again. And every freaking time, I can feel the bile rising!!

Funny thing is that after watching a few games this week, it seems like many teams around the league have copied this little trick and are using it as well.

Edited by MJDDawg, 28 January 2013 - 02:58 PM.

4X5ed5z.gif

Credit to Tony Zamboni for the sig.

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#12 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

^I think this is what you meant... The very first clip..

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#13 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

^I think this is what you meant... The very first clip..

That's exactly the one!

Pisses me off to this day. I mean...who makes a drop pass INSIDE their own blue line?? It's one of the things that make me question whether Edler can ever take the next step. Exhibit B was his game last night.

4X5ed5z.gif

Credit to Tony Zamboni for the sig.

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#14 GarthButcher5

GarthButcher5

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

The drop pass may work the first time but never a second.
This play makes me think of football, what if Travis Lulay never threw the ball and instead chose to pitch it to Andrew Harris on every play? Harris would get keyed in on and shortly become mincemeat.

#15 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,197 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

Man, watching that play almost ruins my day. To me that's just arrogance on Edler's part. Maybe this is why people hate us so much...

#16 RockNroLLa.

RockNroLLa.

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

It's pretty much asking for the other team to score short handed on you.

We saw it with the agressive penalty killing of LA. It's so obvious when they're about to do it, that if the Pker times it right it's easy pickings.

#17 Swedish Vikings

Swedish Vikings

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

Trade Luongo! DONE

#18 Sea2Sky Country

Sea2Sky Country

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

the drop pass: it's an awful manoeuvre to use in our own half of the rink, and opposing teams are clearly anticipating it, becoming too predictable. but through the first 5 games of the season, the move has been one of our more effective ways of gaining the offensive zone at the opposing team's blue line. there is definitely a time and a place for the drop pass, ie. zone entry.

#19 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,462 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

Not only is the drop pass ineffective, it puts the rushing defenseman way out of position forcing a forward to play defense. It's not working! Stop doing it!

#20 Quoted

Quoted

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

I've seen other teams use this as well. I think its fine, just not every time!!

#21 vwnuck

vwnuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

The main guilty parties of this horrific maneuver are Alex Edler and Kevin Bieksa. I think that it is the most brutal play to watch in the Canucks' arsenal, even when it works.

First of all, when it doesn't work, you look like a complete dope. Second of all it is becoming far too predictable. And finally, you lose all your momentum entering the zone. Even on a power play, it just doesn't seem feasable to me, and is just scarring to watch.

My body literally cringes every time one of the forementioned uses this tactic. Am I wrong for feeling this way? Or am I not alone?

do you think they just go out there and just play..... that is a set play designed by the coaching staff. so when you say the guilty parties are..... it has been designated by the coaches that edler carry puck on first unit bieska on 2nd...and if the coaching staff thought that it was not working they would stop doing it....

Posted Image

Posted Image

#22 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

Ehrhoff was the only one who could do it effectively. It's become too predictable now as well.

#23 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

the drop pass: it's an awful manoeuvre to use in our own half of the rink, and opposing teams are clearly anticipating it, becoming too predictable. but through the first 5 games of the season, the move has been one of our more effective ways of gaining the offensive zone at the opposing team's blue line. there is definitely a time and a place for the drop pass, ie. zone entry.

This. People are really hard on the drop pass because we've seen so much failure with it, but when used properly and in the right place and time, it can be very effective.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#24 DooBie604

DooBie604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

It's not a bad play when used once in awhile. However the Canucks use it way too much. They need to mix it up so the other team can't predict when it's coming.

#25 Ginu

Ginu

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

Drop pass is extremely predictive due to the fact that Canucks have huge issues gaining space and entering the zone, so this is what they rely on for most time... We honestly are missing Kesler and probably Salo's ability to enter the zone (a huge reason our PP is pretty crappy)...

Another issue with the drop pass is the fact that it puts all the defense way out of position meanwhile the opposing team sacrifice a forward which could potentially be out of position if the attempt failed (not a big issue); it also puts the goalie in a extremely difficult position which tends to change momentum when this move fails (happens to be quite often)...
Posted Image

#26 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,770 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

lol

I said doesn't talk to his players, can't read?

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#27 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,704 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

Not surprisingly, I disagree with almost everyone in this thread.

If you happen to watch other teams around the league, several of them have adopted the same strategy. It's an effective way of gaining entry into the opposing zone, however, that doesn't mean that there will be a lack of proper execution from time to time.

Edler's gaffe in last season's playoff was an error of execution, not planning.

In fact, if anyone was paying close attention last night, there was a rush by Edler where he slowed down at center ice, giving the impression that the drop pass was imminent. Instead, he put a crisp pass onto the tape of Daniel, who gained easy access to the zone.

Also those of you who are criticizing Newell Brown, (How soon we forget) you may remember the odd faceoff alignment that the Canucks used on the PP last night. It was hard to miss, because Cheech was obvious in his confusion (and therefore dislike) at the move. What he missed was the fact that the first time it was tried, it worked perfectly. The failed attempt came after one of the innumerable instances of the zebras waving a centerman out of the faceoff.

It's this kind of innovative thinking that make NB good at what he does, despite what some fans who can't get over a year-old play might think.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#28 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,197 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

Gotta agree with
RUPERTKBD :)

No1813_comets2_rr.jpgDec2814_jake_rr.jpg

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has" 

-Margaret Mead-

#29 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,697 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

It hasn't worked in a long time. The teams inability to adapt to the new players or be creative with the PP is concerning. I cringe whenever I see them do it.

#30 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,704 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

It hasn't worked in a long time.  The teams inability to adapt to the new players or be creative with the PP is concerning.  I cringe whenever I see them do it.

Disagree. I saw it work several times lasdt night. And, as I mentioned in my earlier post, there was an instance where just the threat of it worked.

IMO, it hasn't resulted in a shorty in a long time...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.