The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jason Garrison so far?

Go Go Canucks Go

I haven't noticed Garrison be any slower than Edler or Bieksa. Maybe he doesn't have the top speed of some players, but he seems agile enough, and seems to be sound positionally.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that, had Garrison's shot that hit the crossbar in San Jose actually gone in, the OP wouldn't have bothered to make this thread.

Move him away from Edler and he'll do much better but really he hasn't looked bad at all. No worse than the rest of the D on any given night.

Edler doesn't even know he has a defensive partner anyways and when he figures it out he seems so shocked that he lays an awful pass to him.

Give Edler somebody who's not expected to score at all. Putting an offensive asset beside him is a bit of a waste.

Offensively I thought he has performed well enough. He just needs to be found like he was last year to unleash his bombs. Defensively he's been fine (in his own zone).

One thing I will say though, is that he has to be our worst defenseman for picking terrible times to pinch in. That may be a timing thing that will be corrected throughout the season but it's been scary.

It's early into the season but when it's a 48 game season it's hard to stay patient with what I consider a pretty "sub-par to awful" debut for the Canucks defenseman.

All I've been hearing throughout the off-season about Jason Garrison is how he's a younger Sami Salo with great defensive abilities and all around game. From what I've seen throughout the season so far is that he is a terrible skater with average speed and very little mobility. Something that's going to expose him in a lot of puck battles and turnovers in neutral zone. This has been very evident in 5 of the last 6 games we've played so far this season.

He just doesn't have the skating to stay in great position and he tends to lose his man a lot. That's not Sami Salo at all. I think this is something that hurts him in the offensive zone too like the PP when he doesn't have the skating ability to get to open ice and hammer the puck. He seems to take a long time to wind up and get his shot off so it's no surprise that rushing it has made his accuracy abysmal.

I commend his hard work, because he truly does play like he gives a damn but just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll get the results.

Anyone else worried about his skating? His stride is horrific and very short and when he is forced to pivot and turn on a dime he consistently gets beat. Him and Edler have been a nightmare in their own end, unable to move the puck up the ice.

I'm only concerned because our window to win a stanley cup is rapidly closing with this core and we don't exactly have that great of a promising prospect pool in the calibre of Edmonton's talent.

I'm not concerned at all.

regards,

G.

Quit your whinning yo!

Why does everyone have to be so damn negative. Its like nothing on these boards can make anyone happy. No matter what the Canucks do. Its operated by a bunch of sad people, who have nothing better to do than complain about something. Wahhh wahh wahh...The Canucks just need to make the play offs..

I wouldnt doubt it by the end of the year when we have the Stanley cup someone will still complain about how we arent good enough

2012 - Kassian is a bust, why the **** did we trade for him? Bring back CoHo! He's already performing at an NHL level!

2013 - Wheew! Another goal for Kassian, seems like this trade will work out.

Give it some time people. If two of his hit posts go in, this thread doesn't happen.

Move him away from Edler and he'll do much better but really he hasn't looked bad at all. No worse than the rest of the D on any given night.

Edler doesn't even know he has a defensive partner anyways and when he figures it out he seems so shocked that he lays an awful pass to him.

Give Edler somebody who's not expected to score at all. Putting an offensive asset beside him is a bit of a waste.

Lack of offence from the top 4 d-core is one of Van's biggest problems right now. Garrison could hit the net more with his shots but that will come. I think he is playing a pretty conservative game but is getting frustrated like KB and even Hamhuis. None of these guys went overseas and it is showing on the ice right now. By 20 games they should settle down. IMHO the d-core and goaltending have enough CUP quality talent. It is Van's front end that is truly operating on 2 cylinders. Big disconnect with the Twins but again they sat out the lockout. The guys performing well have all been playing regularly before the season started. All except Burrows who never ceases to amaze me. What a solid player!

It's early into the season but when it's a 48 game season it's hard to stay patient with what I consider a pretty "sub-par to awful" debut for the Canucks defenseman.

All I've been hearing throughout the off-season about Jason Garrison is how he's a younger Sami Salo with great defensive abilities and all around game. From what I've seen throughout the season so far is that he is a terrible skater with average speed and very little mobility. Something that's going to expose him in a lot of puck battles and turnovers in neutral zone. This has been very evident in 5 of the last 6 games we've played so far this season.

He just doesn't have the skating to stay in great position and he tends to lose his man a lot. That's not Sami Salo at all. I think this is something that hurts him in the offensive zone too like the PP when he doesn't have the skating ability to get to open ice and hammer the puck. He seems to take a long time to wind up and get his shot off so it's no surprise that rushing it has made his accuracy abysmal.

I commend his hard work, because he truly does play like he gives a damn but just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll get the results.

Anyone else worried about his skating? His stride is horrific and very short and when he is forced to pivot and turn on a dime he consistently gets beat. Him and Edler have been a nightmare in their own end, unable to move the puck up the ice.

I'm only concerned because our window to win a stanley cup is rapidly closing with this core and we don't exactly have that great of a promising prospect pool in the calibre of Edmonton's talent.

Yes you are so right and it has nothing to do with the fact that he is adjusting to a new city and a new team and a new D partner :picard:

Why don't you start playing Defence and work your way in the NHL and get a contract by the Canucks because obviously you have all the answers to what it takes to be an NHL D-man :rolleyes:

short season or not, it really doesn't matter. you can't expect him to be ready, after being traded, with no real time to gel with the team or the system, or the overall environment of playing for a hockey crazy city. if he's still the same at the end of the season, then maybe i'll start questioning this move. until then, it does take some time to adjust. the sky isn't falling last time i checked, but then again, i'm in canucks talk

we signed him not trade for him

Exactly.

I mean of course it takes time to adjust to a new team. Just look at Sami Salo in TB. Sure he could have been had for cheaper but he is really struggling adjusting to play in TB.

Look at

stats. Through 5 games he only has 5 points and is only a +9.

Archived