The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] 32 Team National Hockey League

Strombone1

Why isn't Portland ever part of expansion discussions? The Winter Hawks have done a great job of creating hockey interest, and are apparently run like a professional franchise (so there may be an ownership group/management group in place already...just need the financing akin to Thompson in Winnipeg with True North Group). Portland is in the same population category as Denver, Pittsburgh, San Jose, Columbus and has as high per capita wealth as Seattle does.

The idea of a second team in the Metro Toronto area makes a lot of sense. The population north of Highway 407 is as large as the population south of it. Alternatively, a team in Hamilton should be reconsidered for the Golden Horseshoe area...they would draw from cities such as Kitchener, Waterloo, Guelph, Niagara Falls, Ste. Catharines, Brantford, etc. The distance from either Markham and Hamilton to downtown Toronto (the ACC to be more specific) is further than the distance between MSG, Prudential Center (Newark), and Barclay Center (Brooklyn, where the Islanders will play next year)...in fact, Nassau County is about the same distance, if not closer to MSG than Hamilton and Markham to the ACC. I've lived in Edgewater, NJ and Richmond Hill, ON, and have traveled by car or train to ACC, MSG, Continental Arena (Meadowlands), and Nassau County Coliseum to watch games and even though CA and NCC were 2/3 capacity, these franchises have stood the test of time (point being, two franchises in the GTA/Golden Horseshoe is doable). BTW, Wang would never sell the Islanders. He has a lucrative local TV contract (I was surprised when he announced the move away from Nassau County, as NC is one of the wealthiest counties in the US...maybe the Wall Street investor bankers who live on Long Island aren't making the big bonuses anymore).

Also unless I'm mistaken, I think you can only protect one goalie, so they could take one of Schneider or Luongo for free.

You can protect one goalie, five defensemen and nine forwards or protect two goalies, three defensemen and seven forwards.

Man would this suck for us :(

Also unless I'm mistaken, I think you can only protect one goalie, so they could take one of Schneider or Luongo for free.

You can protect one goalie, five defensemen and nine forwards or protect two goalies, three defensemen and seven forwards.

Man would this suck for us :(

It's not just expansion fees that are the reasoning here. PHX, CBJ and FLA are not going to be moved as it would mean NBC just paid TV rights for a sport which a good chunk of Americans wouldn't even have a team to cheer for. TV money also disproportionately goes towards owners as very little is counted in HRR. Consequently, some owners who make money via the TV deal but lose a bit of money from the gate-driven side of the business can be eligible for revenue sharing and can hide assets from their other enterprises in their teams which are "losing money". They're never getting moved and you're crazy if you think the owners want that to happen, let alone the NHL.

Archived