The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Question about Ballard and the buyout

orango

I don't think we will be buying out Ballard, or anyone for that matter.

I don't think many teams will be buying out players, unless it was situations like Gomez or Redden.

Do it right away or dont bother.

What motivation could a player like Ballard have to play his best. If he knows that by playing 80% he will get bought out, and be able to resign with another team, overall making a bunch more money. Wouldn't you? Especially when you consider he probably doesn't like how the Canucks have treated him so far.

Think about Luongo. If he wanted he could have sucked as much as he wanted to start this season, so nobody would want to trade for him. The he collects his massive buyout. Sign a 1 year million dollar contract with some random team next year, all of a sudden starts playing like a top 10 goalie in the league again, BAM a new hefty contract.

Once again this is only till the end of the season. IF we were to win the Cup, I think that would change matters. IF no, then chances are he will be subject to a buyout. He has been playing better but still for his cap hit I doubt he would be able to justify his paycheck with 5-6 paring.

As many people have pointed out, there is no need to buy out Ballard.

i) If the Canucks feel the need to get rid of Ballard, he is certainly tradeable. He would play top 4 D on a lot of teams and his cap hit of 4.2 million is fine for top 4 -- a bit on the high side but there would be takers and the Canucks would get something in return.

ii) There is no real need to get rid of Ballard. The Canucks have 14 players signed for next year for about 60 million. The other players on the 23 man roster will be young guys or other low cost players, but the Canucks will still need to lose one significant salary of a player currently signed to stay under next year's cap of about 64 million. Ballard is one option. Louongo is one option (and it is very unlikely that both Schneider and Luongo will be here next year), and Booth is an option. Right now I would keep Ballard over Booth.

iii) I am not ruling out trading two large cap hits -- such as Luongo and Ballard, but it is not strictly necessary.

Ballard is playing well, but he is hardly the Canucks best defenceman. Take last night's game for example. Ballard played 15.39 minutes. This is the fifth highest time on ice for the Canucks d that game. The fourth highest d-man, Garrison, played 21.51 mins.If Ballard is the best d-man, why is he not put on the ice more by the coaches, who rely on winning games to keep their jobs?Given that Ballard is playing a third pairing role, his $4.2m salary is more than his role is worth. That is why he may be a buyout candidate.

Pretty easy for the Ballard haters to say the Canucks are going to buy him out, 2 yrs at $4.2 per year? I'm sure Francesco will be all over signing off on that one...

Ballard has been behind the 8ball since he got here, Vigneault's never really liked to use him, he got into the doghouse, pretty tought to climb out with the same coach. He and Tanev are a very good third pairing on defense, overall, Ballard's been more consistent at the start of this season than most of the other D, and it's be3en noticed. He should get some powerplay time, decent shot, and he can skate and carry the puck.

Pretty easy for the Ballard haters to say the Canucks are going to buy him out, 2 yrs at $4.2 per year? I'm sure Francesco will be all over signing off on that one...

Ballard has been behind the 8ball since he got here, Vigneault's never really liked to use him, he got into the doghouse, pretty tought to climb out with the same coach. He and Tanev are a very good third pairing on defense, overall, Ballard's been more consistent at the start of this season than most of the other D, and it's been noticed. He should get some powerplay time, decent shot, and he can skate and carry the puck.

I find it interesting that, a few games into the season, everyone now thinks Ballard could be a tradable commodity... whereas last year we couldn't give him away.

I realize he's playing better. So far. But it's a young season, and I don't think many GMs would be willing to consider him a big piece of their puzzle at this point.

Archived