52 replies to this topic

#31 lowest common denominator

lowest common denominator

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:32 AM

Canadians play hockey to win the Stanley Cup. Maybe if they changed the name to Prime Ministers trophy, someone might care. Until then, its the prize they give to the ugly girl at the beauty contest. The Canucks are Ms Congeniality 2 yrs running.

You ever hear a kid playing road hockey go "10 seconds left, Crosby on a breakaway to win the presidents trophy, he scvores!!!"

I have loved watching the canucks dominate the reg season for the last few years as much as anyone but any true hockey fan knows that the real season starts in the playoffs, that's when the Canadian players get up and go and do what it takes to win the ultimate prize.

We don't need no stinking Presidents Trophy,it doesn't mean a gawdammd thing. We need more canucks on the Canucks.

#32 harpdog

harpdog

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

That's the third time you have dumped on Schneider in just this one thread. I think it's safe to say you came here with an agenda (joined Jan 31). I'm sure you enjoy watching hockey, but do you really think you know better than the management and coaching staff of the team?

What gives you the impression the I am dumping on Schnieder. If you would have read the posts, I am not dumping on him, I am behind Gillis 100%. and no, I do not think I know better that Gillis, but neither does the thousands that say trade Lou. My many years of coaching all levels of hockey has taught me a few things and one of them is that confidence is a two edge sword. you can cut with it or you can get cut with it. Hockey players are people, not pieces of meat
Just because your new cars tires gets a flat tire just before you get to your destination does not mean you should trade it in for an unproven model.
The whole point of this thread is to stand behind the Canucks, thick or thin. You don't boo a goalie because he has a bad game or two. This is a team sport played as a team to be effective and if the rest of the team plays bad, it doesn't matter who is in.

Yea I may be a new member here but that does not mean squat. You were new here once too! I came here for one reason, not a secret agenda so your statement that its safe to say this is way offside. Its safe to say that you need statements like this to boost your confidence when all it dfoes is reinforce mine. You have only been here since July.

I feel the many Canucks fans would not be happy with a Stanley Cup and the very next year, the same arm chair GMs will start more rumours because they will never be satsfied. That is Vancouver hockey fans.You would had a riot even if you had won.

I really like the idea of watching a game now knowing that my team, The Canucks have a great chance to win every night and if they don't I know they will have a great chance to win the next game night.
I am getting as much credit as I can because when I am dead I won't have to pay it back.

#33 Kulikov

Kulikov

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

Schneids upside is unlimited, and he's shown what he can do. So he sucked for 1 game, funny how nobody mentions how bad the team in front of him played. He was bad in Anaheim, got his revenge. The team no showed against the Sharks, wasn't Schneids fault Lu would have got lit up too.

#34 tigerwilliams for pm

tigerwilliams for pm

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:37 PM

And I'm sure that's the goal, but it isn't as easy as you've presented. Going to a game 7 SCF is grueling and, as you may/may not be aware, some of our players sustained and played through injuries. That you cannot prevent - it's part of the game. So look at the big picture, not just the "I won't settle for anything but...". Fans with a sense of entitlement miss of lot of good hockey along the way and, while I agree that the ultimate goal is the cup, don't discount so easily the fact that these guys have managed to stay atop the league. Give credit where it's due or you likely don't deserve to celebrate the cup when we do get it.

Bravo!

#35 Mike Vanderhoek

Mike Vanderhoek

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:20 PM

I remember when Linden joined the Canucks, the regular season had so much more passion, more excitement, then Bure came along and again I must say those were soem enjoyable years watching the Canucks.

Messier era was rough and not fun to be a fan, but I have basically watched most games since the late eighties and if your a Canucks fan, or have been one for what over 20+ years like me then how can you not appreciate the two consecutive Presidents Trophies ?

Two consecutive Presidents Trophies is awesome, to play 82 game seasons and come out above the other teams is nothing to laugh at or look at with negativity because a Stanley Cup was not won. So many things have to happen for a team to win a Stanley Cup, too many variables and luck involved to honestly say the " best " team won everytime a Stanley Cup was awarded.

I am a huge fan of the Canucks, I enjoy the games win or lose, the team is a contender year in and year out, I can't complain. The Cup will be won, one day.......going to be sweet!
Posted Image

#36 harpdog

harpdog

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

I remember when Linden joined the Canucks, the regular season had so much more passion, more excitement, then Bure came along and again I must say those were soem enjoyable years watching the Canucks.

Messier era was rough and not fun to be a fan, but I have basically watched most games since the late eighties and if your a Canucks fan, or have been one for what over 20+ years like me then how can you not appreciate the two consecutive Presidents Trophies ?

Two consecutive Presidents Trophies is awesome, to play 82 game seasons and come out above the other teams is nothing to laugh at or look at with negativity because a Stanley Cup was not won. So many things have to happen for a team to win a Stanley Cup, too many variables and luck involved to honestly say the " best " team won everytime a Stanley Cup was awarded.

I am a huge fan of the Canucks, I enjoy the games win or lose, the team is a contender year in and year out, I can't complain. The Cup will be won, one day.......going to be sweet!

bravo
this is why I started the thread. You said it best. I have been a Canuck fan since day one and This team is a pleasure to watch because they can win on any given night. I cannot understand the "so and so is playing good, he is good trade bait" mentality.
I am getting as much credit as I can because when I am dead I won't have to pay it back.

#37 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

Schneids upside is unlimited, and he's shown what he can do. So he sucked for 1 game, funny how nobody mentions how bad the team in front of him played. He was bad in Anaheim, got his revenge. The team no showed against the Sharks, wasn't Schneids fault Lu would have got lit up too.

Yes but if Luongo got lit up, the excuses for why would be flying. Cory on the other hand doesn't get nearly as much of that benefit.
"We couldn't score."
"Our defense is terrible."
" Is the goalie supposed to score too?"

These canned excuses are always good enough for Luongo, why not Schneider?

#38 Eh! Team

Eh! Team

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

When the Islanders kept winning Presidents Trophies, but kept getting eliminated in the playoffs. The GM decided that if his team was good enough to make the playoffs, he just had to make a team built for the playoffs. They went on to win 4 Stanley Cups in a row.

This is what Mike Gillis has to get in his head. Stop bringing in these players from Florida and Toronto. They never make the playoffs for a reason. Bring is some players who have actually won something and who actually can play playoff hockey.

#39 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,929 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

Yes but if Luongo got lit up, the excuses for why would be flying. Cory on the other hand doesn't get nearly as much of that benefit.
"We couldn't score."
"Our defense is terrible."
" Is the goalie supposed to score too?"

These canned excuses are always good enough for Luongo, why not Schneider?

I remember seeing plenty of reasons for the SJ loss that weren't Schneider. Lots of people saying he was hung out to dry. It's just that people don't want to see these things. Team Luongo folks don't want to see faults and don't ant to see reason and Team Schneider people only want to see faults and don't want to see reason. Team Canucks is the way to go IMO. Notice that word I used instead of excuses btw. It's a valid word for both goalies.

Edited by EmployeeoftheMonth, 04 February 2013 - 10:33 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#40 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

Yes, yes. It could be worse. It could also be better. The natural inclination is to want more. You win a NW championship? Cool. Take it up a notch. You win a president's cup? Dandy. Now go get me the cup.
I'm pleased as punch they won the prez cup back to back. It's a great accomplishment. But I would be lying if I said that that was enough. I would trade every NW championship, every prez cup, every personal award, record, etc to win one Stanley Cup championship. It is the ultimate prize. It's the one we all dream of.
In my mind the real question is, why are so many people satisfied with anything but the Stanley Cup? Why do so many believe that a suggestion that there is room for improvement is equal to "armchair gm", or "hating", or "bashing" or my personal favorite "bandwagoning"? Instead of patting ourselves on the back for almost, instead of resting on laurels why don't we demand more? We can proud of what they did yesterday while expecting more from them today. I think that's acceptable.

no duh.

You win the internet, EOM.

#41 NexusRift

NexusRift

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

Northwest Division Champs, Western Conference Champs, Presidents Trophy...................They're all great accomplishments. The process to achieve such is no easy task. That being said, if your a full tilt patriotic Canadian, the title that holds the greatest weight in all of hockey can only be the Stanley Cup Champions; a title most assuredly the most difficult to reach. The 'Nucks are no different than any other contending team organization. We and they are all wanting to achieve championship glory. That being said.......

Seems the last few NHL seasons, the 'Nuck fanbase demands an off season acquisition of noteworthiness; we usually miss out on those, but on occasion we get our man. Hamhuis is one who is such; Higgins and Lappiere turned out alright. Seems though we end up the Marco Sturms, Jan Bulis, Brad Isbister, type duds.

Also it seems we have player injury issues at the start of seasons which always spark talks of acquiring help. As always though it seems we stand pat till the injured players return, which changes the team dynamic somewhat as it would acquiring a new player. For this season, as with any other past ones, looking forward to key players return in ones organization is key. Can't wait for a healthy Kess and Booth to return to our line up!

For this shortened season, I believe we carry all the elements required to make the playoffs and achieve the holy grail. If we acquire something substantial in trade by whatever route, then all the better, but it has to be a difference maker type of player.

A shortened season, though more intense, will benefit our team. By the time the playoffs arrive, the injured Booth and Kess will be in peak form and the rest of the team will gel as a unit. There are already signs of that. Depth in any position will be covered and we will be in fine shape. I look forward to the playoffs!

#42 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

Canucks Fans want either the Cup or Lottery Pick anything else is Failure LOL
Posted Image

#43 cc_devil

cc_devil

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

Simple. They play in the weakest division.
Thus the winning the president trophy. Once in the playoffs the lack of coaching and same old plays result in first round bounce.

#44 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

Posted Image

I think a lot of fans who constantly complain about this team and its players really haven't been fans long enough. If anyone survived through the dark ages (aka the Messier years) and the years surrounding it, those fans in general are a lot more even-keel. It's the fans who have been spoiled by the fact that the Canucks have been top of the table for quite some time now.

As others have noted "real Canadian fans" only care about the cup, but "real fans of hockey" also realize that only one team out of 30 wins it every year and that it requires a combination of a well-built team peaking at the right time and quite a bit of puck luck. There's a reason they call it the hardest trophy to win in pro sports.

Posted ImagePosted Image

RIP LB RR PD

#45 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,706 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

And I'm sure that's the goal, but it isn't as easy as you've presented. Going to a game 7 SCF is grueling and, as you may/may not be aware, some of our players sustained and played through injuries. That you cannot prevent - it's part of the game. So look at the big picture, not just the "I won't settle for anything but...". Fans with a sense of entitlement miss of lot of good hockey along the way and, while I agree that the ultimate goal is the cup, don't discount so easily the fact that these guys have managed to stay atop the league. Give credit where it's due or you likely don't deserve to celebrate the cup when we do get it.

Couldn't have said it better.

Far too many don't appreciate how good this team has been over the last decade. Nor do they seem to realize how much more enjoyable a contender is to watch through that 82 game schedule. Having gone through a decade of watching the team lose more than win and hoping against the odds that the team just makes the playoffs, I can truly appreciate a winning season. Only one team gets to win the cup and the stars virtually have to align to do so. Cup or not, I take pride in the teams accomplishments over the course of a season. Including winning the Presidents Cup.
Posted Image

#46 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,353 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

It's because those people want the team to win a cup, but they don't understand how to get there. Somehow they thought if we gut the whole teAm everytime we lose in the playoff, we will win a cup in the next season.

It's the same group of people who complain how poor they are in real life and that life isn't fair and how others are earning more money than them while doing nothing.

#47 snucks

snucks

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

This team ain't better than it was 2 yrs ago except they have been beat up in the playoffs. They are quite simply not tough enough. Vancouver still is not getting it done with their scouting and drafting. They do need more canucks on the canucks. They can't fight, and are horrible on the shoot outs. Yes they will win games but not like they were doing a few yrs ago. Now it is a knuckle biter all the way every game. If they could trade Edler and Raymond with Luongo it would help.

#48 KraKassian

KraKassian

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

Eddie Lack is a little more than an above average AHL starter, he's also proven himself in elite Swedish league HockeyAllsvenskan taking starting position from Ed Belfour(even though he was a dinosaur then) and posting a 2.02 GAA and .930 save percentage, He also helped set a team record for the Chicago Wolves with least goals against in a season, along with some impressive playoff stats. He like most other rookie goalies take many years to develop before coming to the NHL(usually around the age of 26).

Nevertheless I agree with your points made, but disagree with the discrediting of a promising young goaltender who is a star in the Canucks rookie pool.

#49 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,353 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:23 PM

This team ain't better than it was 2 yrs ago except they have been beat up in the playoffs. They are quite simply not tough enough. Vancouver still is not getting it done with their scouting and drafting. They do need more canucks on the canucks. They can't fight, and are horrible on the shoot outs. Yes they will win games but not like they were doing a few yrs ago. Now it is a knuckle biter all the way every game. If they could trade Edler and Raymond with Luongo it would help.

Typical online version of a village idiot.

Did you really use canucks shoot out record as an argument of how they good enough in the playoff? Cos you can't really be talking about our normal season performance with 2 straight PC in a row...

Edited by Piggy1983, 04 February 2013 - 05:25 PM.

#50 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,767 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

What gives you the impression the I am dumping on Schnieder. If you would have read the posts, I am not dumping on him, I am behind Gillis 100%. and no, I do not think I know better that Gillis, but neither does the thousands that say trade Lou. My many years of coaching all levels of hockey has taught me a few things and one of them is that confidence is a two edge sword. you can cut with it or you can get cut with it. Hockey players are people, not pieces of meat
Just because your new cars tires gets a flat tire just before you get to your destination does not mean you should trade it in for an unproven model.
The whole point of this thread is to stand behind the Canucks, thick or thin. You don't boo a goalie because he has a bad game or two. This is a team sport played as a team to be effective and if the rest of the team plays bad, it doesn't matter who is in.

Yea I may be a new member here but that does not mean squat. You were new here once too! I came here for one reason, not a secret agenda so your statement that its safe to say this is way offside. Its safe to say that you need statements like this to boost your confidence when all it dfoes is reinforce mine. You have only been here since July.

I feel the many Canucks fans would not be happy with a Stanley Cup and the very next year, the same arm chair GMs will start more rumours because they will never be satsfied. That is Vancouver hockey fans.You would had a riot even if you had won.

I really like the idea of watching a game now knowing that my team, The Canucks have a great chance to win every night and if they don't I know they will have a great chance to win the next game night.

Weel, a team that can just barely make the playoff will probably not be good enough to win the Cup anyway. Unless they get really lucky like LA at the trade deadline. Corey is not good enough to carry this team all the way either. This team is good enough to win a Cup and win a Pres. Cup. They are better now than 2 years ago too.

There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#51 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:30 PM

There was no social media back then

Precisely

Posted Image

#52 bobopan

bobopan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,442 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

The presidents trophy was nice and exciting the first time.. but it means absolutely nothing to me now. Winning the cup is the ultimate goal...the regular season...meh if you want to take solace in the fact you placed first there fine but aside from home ice advantage what has it given you..nothing.

#53 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

You said:

"Can't get the cup with out a great goalie! Sneider ain't it."

And...

"Corey is not good enough to carry this team all the way either"

And...

"What has Schneider really done. He hasn't done diddly in the playoffs yet. Luongo has been carrying him for the last 2 years."

Given that you can't even spell Cory Schneider's name, I figured you weren't following the team much. I also thought that, seeing as these were your first posts, you were probably dropping by with an agenda. With all the Cory/Lu bashing around here, it is easy to come to this conclusion. If I was wrong, I apologize.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.