44 replies to this topic

#31 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:31 AM

Got a norovirus 4 years ago. Wouldn't wish it upon anyone. Uncontrollable liquid release from both ends for 5 days. Drank water to keep hydrated... It left via random orifices. Unbearable, constant headache. Nearly impossible to sleep. Sensitive to light. Couldn't eat. Body ache. Even my hair hurt!

It sucked.

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#32 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,969 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

I'm sick. I'm sick alright.

Sick of Canucks Talk.

#33 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,969 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

On topic, Norovirus has been a huge problem over here recently. My whole family got it one after another, so I decided that I probably wouldn't be going home for a while after that :lol:

I rarely get sick though. Although in the summer I had food poisoning in combination with heatstroke. That was the worst feeling ever. Spent 15 straight hours on the bathroom floor before I could summon the strength to go to bed. Was on the verge of going to hospital. In hindsight I probably should have gone, but I recovered OK, so meh.

#34 Steven Stamkos

Steven Stamkos

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

Feel free to discuss any illness you have had.

I'm just near the tail end of a whopper.
Apparently this has been going around the Okanagan...

Let me describe the sickness I just had.
First, try to remember the worst flu you ever had.
Next, remember the worst cold you ever had.
Then, remember the worst cough you ever had.
Now imagine having those all at the same time.
But wait, let me get downright descriptive.
You know that taste you get right before you're about to throw up?
Imagine having that for at least 3 days straight.
You can barely eat, cause you "think" it won't stay down plus everything tastes so bad.
Your fever gets so high that you have hallucinations (yes, I saw a white light).
You feel your heart just a pounding and wonder if it will be able to take it.
The headaches are so bad that it feels like the acetaminophen isn't doing anything at all.
You have that fever but you also feel cold - hot and cold at the same time.
It comes in waves, like a fishing boat off the coast of Newfoundland being rocked by 30 foot squalls.
The cough isn't normal at all.
It lasts for 5 to 20 seconds, it's violent and uncontrollable.
When done, it feels like someone has kicked you in the chest and broke some of your ribs.
That happens several times a day.
Speaking of your body, it feels like you've just run a marathon, every muscle is sore as well as you got pain in your joints. Some of your muscles actually spasm, twitch uncontrollably for a few seconds.
Your cognitive ability is degraded. That is, you can't seem to think very well nor understand what someone says all the time.
Remember how slow the Ents (tree creatures) were in Lord of The Rings?
You're a sick Ent. You're lying on the couch and you feel like you want something to drink.
10 minutes later, you're still on the couch. Eventually, you get up and slowly make your way to the kitchen.
If you're lucky, you don't have one of those violent coughing attacks while you're carrying your glass of Fresca back to the living room - for there's no way you will be able to hold on to it.
You will also spend a significant amount of time in the bathroom - but I won't go into details there.
Supposedly, this "super" bug lasts 3-7 days.

I've had the same thing for the past 5 days, it's going around a lot up here in Dawson Creek. We've been getting really weird weather lately -30 to -40 for a couple days then up to +5 a day or so later.
Posted Image
Credit to: Ballard_4

#35 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:18 AM

Dang.  Was looking for a Sick Thread and here's one from 2013 when GD, SC and Argon were still around.  I miss those guys..

I'm sick.  I probably could have filled a 2 liter jar with all of the mucus that has come out of my nose so far.  My hands are dry from all of the hand washing after blowing my nose too. 

“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.” ― Asha Tyson

#36 brilac

brilac

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 05:47 AM

Dang.  Was looking for a Sick Thread and here's one from 2013 when GD, SC and Argon were still around.  I miss those guys..

I'm sick.  I probably could have filled a 2 liter jar with all of the mucus that has come out of my nose so far.  My hands are dry from all of the hand washing after blowing my nose too. 

Yeah, it's not a nice feeling.  I am sick too.  Cough drops and other over the counter medications are my best friends right now.

#37 FramingDragon

FramingDragon

Luciferased

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:41 PM

I can't remember the last time I had the flu or had to deal with some bug or another. I'd take that stuff over depressive episodes and panic attacks any day though.

Remember to get your flu shots.

420 $weg 

#38 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,219 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:47 PM

I can't remember the last time I had the flu or had to deal with some bug or another. I'd take that stuff over depressive episodes and panic attacks any day though.

I'll strengthen my immune system and take my chances, thanks.

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#39 ManUtd

ManUtd

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,970 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:48 PM

I once had such bad food poisoning that I vomited and cold sweated myself into mild hypothermia. That was not a fun day. I think by the end my temperature had dropped around 6 degrees. Then two weeks later I got the swine flu and had a 104 fever. Pretty well the crappiest month ever. 

Wouldn't everyone? I don't think I've ever heard anyone say the wished they had depression instead of the flu. 

rsz_avs.jpg

#40 FramingDragon

FramingDragon

Luciferased

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:51 PM

Wouldn't everyone? I don't think I've ever heard anyone say the wished they had depression instead of the flu. 

well here I am in the pit of hell wishing I had the swine flu instead

I'll strengthen my immune system and take my chances, thanks.

I've never taken flu shots and I only got the flu once in the last ten years, I think I'm one of those terrible carrier people that make others sick. Have your kids had to deal with the flu yet?

420 $weg 

#41 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,219 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 04:04 PM

I've never taken flu shots and I only got the flu once in the last ten years, I think I'm one of those terrible carrier people that make others sick. Have your kids had to deal with the flu yet?

Nope, just some sniffles/minor colds.

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#42 The Magician

The Magician

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,921 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 04:33 PM

Lucky! I have the flu probably 4 times a year. 

nN5BCfs.jpg

#43 ManUtd

ManUtd

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,970 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 07:19 PM

That's awful. I'm sorry. I remember you saying something about it in another thread along time ago but I initially thought you were just making a general statement not that it was happening right now.  I know firsthand how terrible it is and how much it feels like it will never end. I hope yours never gets to the point mine did. The hospital is not a fun place to be. Taking 7 years to finish undergrad because you had to take two medical leaves isn't much fun either and a good waste of 30,000$. It does get better though. It just takes time and the right combination of treatment. Hopefully you escape thinking you've finally beaten it only to have it suddenly come back years later. It's just about the most disheartening thing ever especially when it drags on even longer than the first time. 

rsz_avs.jpg

#44 FramingDragon

FramingDragon

Luciferased

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 07:49 PM

That's awful. I'm sorry. I remember you saying something about it in another thread along time ago but I initially thought you were just making a general statement not that it was happening right now.  I know firsthand how terrible it is and how much it feels like it will never end. I hope yours never gets to the point mine did. The hospital is not a fun place to be. Taking 7 years to finish undergrad because you had to take two medical leaves isn't much fun either and a good waste of 30,000$. It does get better though. It just takes time and the right combination of treatment. Hopefully you escape thinking you've finally beaten it only to have it suddenly come back years later. It's just about the most disheartening thing ever especially when it drags on even longer than the first time. 

Were you with access and diversity during your time at UBC as well? I am sorry to hear it happened with you too and it had gotten to the point it did. It feels like a silent epidemic at times to hear how many people went to those levels of despair. 

For your medical leave, did they wipe out the courses you were taking at the time of the extenuating circumstances? A close friend of mine had to get admitted suddenly after a breakdown, and the department was kind enough to overlook all the failed grades and give him a clean slate

Treatment feels like playing with a Rubik's cube while trying to kill some ten headed beast that pops a new head each time, been trying for a long time now...

The hardest part daily is the excuses you have to make for why it's difficult to come to class on time or keep up with everything without making things either super obvious or looking like a slob. 

420 $weg 

#45 ManUtd

ManUtd

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,970 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:39 PM

Were you with access and diversity during your time at UBC as well? I am sorry to hear it happened with you too and it had gotten to the point it did. It feels like a silent epidemic at times to hear how many people went to those levels of despair. 
For your medical leave, did they wipe out the courses you were taking at the time of the extenuating circumstances? A close friend of mine had to get admitted suddenly after a breakdown, and the department was kind enough to overlook all the failed grades and give him a clean slate

Treatment feels like playing with a Rubik's cube while trying to kill some ten headed beast that pops a new head each time, been trying for a long time now...

The hardest part daily is the excuses you have to make for why it's difficult to come to class on time or keep up with everything without making things either super obvious or looking like a slob. 

I really didn't have much to do with access. I was incredibly sick with the fun combo of PTSD and pretty serious social anxiety on top of it. So I just couldn't handle talking to someone there at the time. They were great for giving me a permanent guaranteed single room in residence but honestly useless the other time I went for something. I just skipped them altogether after and went right to the profs if I needed accommodating after.

The APSC department was pretty good when I left particularly the first time. The hospital pretty much demanded I leave school for the rest of the term and go home. I just took the note to the assistant dean and he withdrew me from all my classes way after the deadline. I'd failed a ton of classes first term because I was way too sick to have any business being there. They gave me an exemption for my technically failed year and let me come back the next September. The second time I finished out first term then just dropped everything and didn't come back second term.

My academic record looks like **** before finally getting it together enough in 3rd and 4th year. I finished though and that's what matters. The last two years were still rough and I was not well just a lot better. I still rarely went to class and blew off a few assignments. I actually did fairly well though. Enough that I meet the minimum requirements for grad schools that only look at 3rd and 4th year. I'm just kind of pissed at myself because I can't help but think how well I would have done if I had put in the effort and worked up to my potential.

Finding the right treatment is hard as hell. They tried me on two different anti depressants in middle school. Neither worked and I got pulled off because it was right when all the research about it increasing suicidal toughts in kids came out. By seemingly pure coincidence it went away on its own. Then it all came back almost immediately upon starting at UBC but I managed to be semi-functional for the first year. The hospital put me on a different anti depressant and it worked enough for a year then I ended up worse than before. The fourth one finally worked once it was bumped up to the maximum dose. I got even better when I did exposure therapy for the PTSD. It was basically a decade long (albeit interrupted) journey to find the right treatment. I'm sure that was mostly because it was so caught up in so many things. It shouldn't and I hope it doesn't take anywhere near that long for you.

rsz_avs.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.