The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canadas best competiton in the olympics?

Pablo

Not liking the way those bottom lines are working. The best national teams have always had guys who could play at a high level but were effective in a 3rd or 4th line role.

Stamkos - Crosby - Neal

Benn - Giroux - Nash

E. Kane- Getzlaf- Perry (good physical line)

M. Richards-Toews-J. Staal (shut down line)

Coutourier

Letang - Weber

Doughty - Pietrangelo

Keith - Seabrook

Price

Ward

Luongo

If the Soviets don't put in tier-two KHLers in their Olympic squad this time, that would help. But i'm not sold on their primadonna stars and they're overall lack of drive esp. among d-men. Home ice advantage would have to be HUGE for them to win gold.

Swedens defense and goaltending is tight. Forwards not so epic, but still capable. Euro rinks help guys like the Sedins. They can easily win it all.

USA is Canada-lite. A lot will depend on guys jelling in time and then getting stellar goaltending.

Finland is medal-capable.

Sweden

Finland

Russia?

I hope Canada doesn't fail to medal, but it wouldn't shock me if they do.

The US is going to come in with a younger, more skilled team. Their forwards are stacked, their D are big and offensively gifted, and the goaltending is solid no matter who they go with. Russia will be on home ice and they'll have a ton of skill, but goaltending will be a problem. Never count out Sweden. Finland always plays great in the Olympics. Canada is hardly a shoo-in.

A little off-topic here, but am I the only one who thinks Martin St. Louis should be on Team Canada in Sochi? I think, not one single hockey expert put him on their rosters, which is a bit surprising, considering Stamkos and him have amazing chemistry and Stamkos is pretty much a lock to make the team. I get that he's 37, but he's still productive at his age (over a point per game this season), and it's not like Stamkos is making him look good either. If anything, it's the other way around.

Nash - Crosby - Neal

Stamkos - Giroux - St. Louis

Sharp - Toews - Eberle

E. Staal - Getzlaf - Perry

Is how I picture the forward group should look like. You have great chemistry throughout the entire lineup.

Nash will be in a shutdown role on team Canada. He pretty much single-handedly shut down Ovechkin in 2010.

Russia won't win, defense is too soft and meh. Not enough defense on the back-end, and you don't win games going all offense anymore.

I'm getting scared thinking about a potential Brown-Backes-Callahan line. Bumps and bruises everywhere.

Parise - Kesler - Kane

Ryan - Pavelski - Kessel

Brown - Backes - Callahan

Pacioretty - Oshie - JVR

Stastny

Those second and third lines, not really sure if one is really better than the other, the Brown line is more of a checking line though

McDonagh - Suter

Yandle - E. Johnson

J. Johnson - Byfuglien

Shattenkirk/Carlson

Quick

Howard/Miller/Schneider

Maybe even Anderson if he continues this play.

Pretty good team, strong team defense.

I don't get why a lot of people have Neal on Team Canada.

He has had one break out year, directly related to the fact he has played with Crosby and Malkin.

His next best year was 27 goals. He didn't even put up big numbers in junior.

Great player, but not nearly good enough to be on the Canadian Olympic team.

I don't get why a lot of people have Neal on Team Canada.

He has had one break out year, directly related to the fact he has played with Crosby and Malkin.

His next best year was 27 goals. He didn't even put up big numbers in junior.

Great player, but not nearly good enough to be on the Canadian Olympic team.

Each team in the top-7 is dangerous. Any of them can give Canada a good run. It'll depend on who gels the quickest, and goaltending.

In 2010, Russia and Sweden were pegged as Canada's greatest competition. Neither of those team's faired well. USA and Slovakia were considered surprises, and Finland did well.

I'll take Russia and Sweden this time around. Both of those teams will be motivated after disappointing showings in 2010.

I'd say Canada V2 as well, though V2's defence probably wouldn't be as strong as Sweden's, but the forwards would be comparable

V1:

Stamkos Crosby Nash

E Staal Giroux Toews

Marleau Getzlaf Eberle

J Staal M Richards Neal

Benn

Doughty Keith

Letang Weber

Green Pietrangelo

Boyle/Burns

Luongo

Price