The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Sedins want to re-sign after 2014

hockeyville88

I think MG should think outside of the box.

Bring the Sedins into a room without their agent.

Give them a pen and a checkbook and tell them to write what they want.

Sedins will talk amongst themselves, see the team salary cap structure and write a check to themselves which will ensure Canucks are strong for the rest of their careers

Depends how they do between now and then. Contracts are based on what you think they'll do over the next contract. Will they be fading point wise by then or still at a point a game plus. I think they will get at least a three year deal as they keep themselves very fit and haven't undergone too much physical abuse over the years.

One concern:Expansion situation. League's expected to go to 32 teams.

Unsure of how this works, but isn't there usually a list of say, 14 players each team chooses to protect ? If you make an agreement with the twins, on a 4 year term, for example, would it make sense to sign a one yr deal, 4 straight summers(thereby protecting 14 other skaters)? I'm assuming eligible UFA's don't get protected.

With Hamhuis also doing this, could Gillis use this strategy to our advantage in keeping more of our roster intact?

also who else gives away 20% of their income for a year.

they took home approx 3.4m after taxes on a 6 mill income. so 750K is a big chunk of cash.

not that 2+ million is gonna make them hard off and lining up at the food bank to get some free bread. but still that is a huge amount to give away and says a lot about the people behind the talent.

these are two players i hope retire Canucks not because they are great players but because they are great people, the city of Vancouver can not chance losing these guys to Sweden we need to keep them in the community.

i am sure they will take a big pay cut esp if they have not won a cup i could see them sign for 3 years 3.5m per each just so we could start to build the future without sacrificing the present . ( would be more but the cap will limit there wage)

but i would also not complain if it was 4 years @ 6 mill per... i hope they stick around even if they win us a cup.

I'd give them both 4 year deals at 5 mil per year. They are deserving of it.

They have represented this organization with such class and respect.

Extending them is a no-brainer. If they aren't first line producers, they are at the very least second line players, especially as they get older. 60 point seasons from both of them? I'd take that in a heartbeat. They can also teach some of the younger guys who will be coming into their own (i.e. Jensen, Kass, Gaunce, etc).

Archived