The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Toughness proves to be a winning formula

Understand

Toughness comes out in the playoffs when the whistles get put away. This is why we will continue to lose, no matter how much success we have in the regular season.

Mark my words, same thing will happen in April/May just like the last few years past. Team's know how to win against the Canuck's is with toughness and intimidation.

It's a shame. This is a great team and it is being limited/exposed by this one underlying factor.

That's exactly what I mean....if we have a forth liner who can't fight but put on 15 points a season, that's OK. We continue to fool ourselves by saying that our 4th liner are better than other teams who have legit enforcrers, but at the end of the year, the stats can't back that up. Our 4th liners such as Volpatti or Weise are no better than guys like Thronton, Orr, etc.

no enforcers are useless take penalties it will cost us game.........see Ben Eager he cost the sharks the WCF because of bad penalty..........we will never have some useless player in the fourth line GO CHEER FOR A NEW TEam

Skill--->Enforcers who take penalty and cost games

Look at the Leafs since they added toughness into their lineup....now sitting 4th in the league.

With Mark Fraser, Colton Orr, Frazer McLaren, Mike Brown, Dino Phaneuf, Franson etc, the Leafs are now one of the toughest team in the NHL. I don't think even the Bruins can intimdate them.

This whole conversation is moot because the only people still saying we're soft are people who are parroting what was said last year. We don't have people bowling over our goalies, our team is clearing the crease exceptionally well (which is the real reason Schneids and Luo look so amazing out there) and we throw down whenever it suits us. Kass gave Eager a concussion with 2 punches. Anaheim tried gooning it up with us to no avail (they just got frustrated). Minnesota got free reign from the refs to slash, board, hold and do whatever they liked to us last game and they still couldn't pull it out. Toughness is not an issue.

you can't beat up someone who doesn't want to fight and you can't hit someone as allusive as Keith. Unless you are going to jump him like bert did to moore but I really doubt you will find a fourth liner who has 50 million dollars to give away for ending his career It will not matter how many tough guys you got not one is going to fight Keith.

Pretty sure goal tending and team defence has been the winning formula for most if not all Cup winners.

With that said I do agree the Canucks need to dress a bonafide tough guy - problem is who gets sent down so Vandermeer can be called up. And he doesn't need to play defence - he has played forward in the past and I'd rather have him than Dale (I'm a punching bag) Weise on the 4th line.

I won't disagree that toughness is a needed ingredient, but It's far from a proven formula. Since the lockout the only Anaheim Boston and LA have won the cup playing that style of hockey, if you look at Carolina, Detroit, Pittsburgh and Chicago they were more skill teams rather than tough teams.

Well, here is my take on this issue.

You don't have to have a team full of bruisers to win the Cup. The Nucks are positioned fairly well if the skilled guys would get back to scoring and putting more shots on net.

Now, I know I will get flamed for this but take a good look at the Hawks this year. They are off to a scorching start, and they have a few tough guys, but are winning games through skill and puck possession. They have Bollig, Brookbank and Roszival, but other than that, they really don't have much in the way of grit.

The magic formula to winning the cup is having a great balance and tons of team chemistry, guys that always know where their teammates are on the ice, so they can set them up for the score.

The Nucks have a great amount of skill, especially if Kes gets back to form soon, and I think that this team could make a real decent run at the Cup without adding a goon that takes up a roster spot.

Flame away.

Toughness comes out in the playoffs when the whistles get put away. This is why we will continue to lose, no matter how much success we have in the regular season.

Mark my words, same thing will happen in April/May just like the last few years past. Team's know how to win against the Canuck's is with toughness and intimidation.

It's a shame. This is a great team and it is being limited/exposed by this one underlying factor.

Archived