The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

**No Response to Backes?**

carlweezer

He obviously doesn't watch Boston or New York games. They go berserk when a guy just skates too close to their goalie!

I think some of it does boil down to AV. Kassian was supposed to be a deterrent to abuse of our players. It worked when he was with Dan and Hank. Since he's been demoted (or Burrows promoted) the abuse on the Sedins has been very evident. Lots of cheap shots after the whistle etc. The problem is, you can't have a pit bull and expect him to act like a poodle. For a player to be effective at being an intimidator, they have to play with an edge so they are in that mindset throughout the game. To bench them for any mistake is just neutering them and they become lap dogs. Kassian right now looks like a neutered puppy and is unsure of what his identity is.

Look at Chicago's response to Torres.

Look at the Canuck's response to Keith.

Which team is considered soft?

Which team is a recent cup winner?

That's part of why I think we will never win a cup. A team like Boston just has to drag it down to the gutter. The mentality of turn the other cheek will not work. The refs will not keep the game even, or safe, or fair in the playoffs.

It's a physical game so get physical when opposing players take liberties. We don't need a Bertuzzi incident, but some line has to be drawn.

Because the guys that would have got their licking in were sat due to being down a goal.

We can thank AV for that. I was going to call in and tell Moj this. This team gets their identity from their coach. Let's face it, AV is the type of coach who rarely displays any emotion on his sleeve. His mentality for as long as he has been here is turn the other cheek. Remember when we were told that Kassian was a mean guy? Remember when Kassian said he likes to stick up for his teammates? Why was he benched. Yes I understand that he wasn't having the greatest game, but what's the point of having someone who is mean and would actually do something about the situation on the bench?

What about Volpatti? HELL EVEN DALE WEISE? There was no response due to our coach's mentality...I like AV as a coach, but when it comes to crap like this, we're a team that basically tucks our tail between our own two legs because of him. Remember when he held Kassian back last year on the shoulder....

Don't blame the players, blame AV for instilling this type of mentality of "look the other way". It doesn't matter who we trade for if this the type of coaching they're going to get. AV needs to let those guys go when crap like this happens.

Edit: This isn't a fire AV post rather AV change your damn mentality and show a little bit of emotion so your players play the game with the same type of intensity. You go to war for your players, and they'll go to war for you. That's how successful teams have been successful. The only time AV has gone after anyone was David Bolland....while that was witty, I'm sick of how he's so soft-spoken.

lol take the punishment and make them pay on the PP?? seriously?? how'd that work out for us in the playoff? not very well lol.. and considering there's less and less PP called during the playoff i rather have some team toughness and sticking up for players... i mean if we are losing we stop sticking up for our players because we are worried we'll give them a PP? really? so every time we are down a goal the other team are free to layout big hits run our goalie accidently on purpose etc etc and not worried about retaliation because we are down a goal? gimme a break

Not sure where people get the notion that fighting equates to toughness. Regardless, your point is moot. Whatever category you'd like to label Backes with fits every Canuck player who ever drops the gloves as well. Backes is a big, physical, hard-nosed player any Canuck fan should be willing to trade his left nut for.

And nobody currently on the roster could handle him.

Because this team is still soft. Kassian is not ready yet and won't be for a couple more years. Even if he was this team needs more than 1 215 lbs forward to compete with last 2 Stanley Cup winners.

Canucks don't have a 220 + player on the team. Barker is 223 but he's never played a game in Canucks jersey.

LA Kings have 6, you could count 9 at 217 lbs +, their Captain Brown is 204 but plays like hes 225. Bruins have 5 or 6.

If MG wants a Cup he needs to trade for big body, strong and hopefully physical players. Minimum 2 top 6 forwards and 1 Dman.

St Lous has 5 players at 225 Lbs or more + Berglund who is 219 lbs. Canucks have zero at 219 or more, other than Barker who doesn't play.

We've got a pretty soft team from the third line up. Compare that to Backes.

Look at his fights, and who he fights. Kassian, Volpatti and Bieksa could handle him NO problem. Heck, even Dale Weise would probably fair well.

Backes has fought on rare occasion, but is far from an established fighter. Look it up for yourself.

So YES, a number of our players could handle him. And this is coming from someone who thinks we are very soft.

Yeah, super tough Backes absolutely beats up the ever intimidating enforcer know as Justin Faulk.... :rolleyes:

You don't really get hockey, do you? David Backes is never going to fight Dale Weise unless he gets tackled to the ice. Our fourth liners can handle most guys BECAUSE they're fourth liners.

You don't really get hockey, do you? David Backes is never going to fight Dale Weise unless he gets tackled to the ice. Our fourth liners can handle most guys BECAUSE they're fourth liners.

Archived