The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kesler Severely Over-Rated- Do We Really Want Him?

The Dark Knight

It will be interesting to see what this thread looks like in a month from now. I think it will be similar to: "Burrows, do we really need him?" I suspect there will be some embarrassed fans around here.

Just as with Raymond, disregarding Kes' injuries/surgeries will come back to bite all these people with 'knee jerk' reactions. I'm pretty sure his game will be much improved in a few weeks (just like his health).

I don't like his diving and whining either, but I think it's related to his frustration of not being able to play like he can. As I mentioned, it will take a few weeks before he is game ready.

The beast mode will be there in time for the playoffs.

Kessler has no mental toughness, when something doesn't go his way he sulks and then starts to whine which then results in diving and poor play. In short, he's easy to get off his game cause he lets emotion severely affect his play, most times in a bad way. Ie. refs miss a call

I say you're talking purely out your butt. Such things are rather easy to check.....

09/10 playing 2nd pp with Raymond and Samuelsson 12 of Keslers 75 points came from the pp. In 10/11 playing 1st pp with the Sedins 15 of his 73 points came from the pp. You could say the Sedins made Kesler better BUT his pp ice time increased from 2:45 per game on the 2nd pp in 09/10 to 3:37 per game the following year on the 1st pp. What this means is he was actually less efficient on the 1st pp with the mighty Sedins. His pp ice time increased 31.5% while his pp production only increased 25%. To make matters worse, the 2nd pp unit took a nose dive with Malhotra in Keslers place. Raymond went from 8 of his 53 points from the pp with Kesler to 2 of his 39 points on the pp with Malhotra. Which would indicate Kesler indeed made the 2nd pp, and the line mates there, better.

As a matter of fact I can make a solid case that it was Kesler that made the Sedins better on the pp. In 09/10 only 8 of Daniels 85 points came on the pp while only 4 of Henriks 112 points were from the PP without Kesler. In 10/11 Daniel had 18 of his 104 points on the pp while Henrik had 8 of his 94 from the pp with Kesler. What is the common factor in the 2nd unit taking a drop on the pp while the 1st pp became much better? Answer: Kesler.

It will be interesting to see what this thread looks like in a month from now. I think it will be similar to: "Burrows, do we really need him?" I suspect there will be some embarrassed fans around here.

Just as with Raymond, disregarding Kes' injuries/surgeries will come back to bite all these people with 'knee jerk' reactions. I'm pretty sure his game will be much improved in a few weeks (just like his health).

Archived