The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cody Hodgson with the goal of the year?

Don't tell that to the kiddies of CDC that only measure players in points. Points are everything after all, who needs defense? I mean look at Philly, they're all offense, and doing great right?

Without a balance of offense and defense, teams don't go anywhere in the playoffs. Hodgson was too much like Henrik to be our second line center. We need someone who is able to handle those tough matchups against the Joe Thorntons, Mike Richards, and Jonathon Toews. Would Hodgson really be that guy?

Sure we'd score 3 or 4 goals a game easily, but we'd be letting in 5 or 6.

Because we've allowed 5 or 6 goals a game all season with a rotating door of Burrows, Schroeder, Ebbett, Lapierre and Malhotra @ center.

Try to give Cody some credit for his defensive game. He's not nearly as bad as you make him out to be..

Would you say that some of the best hockey players in history are known for their point totals? And that high point totals reflect overall productiveness in contributions made to the team towards a possible Stanley cup?

I would.

Cody's playing great with those top-line minutes. It's a shame there wasn't a better spot for him on the Canucks, but where was he ever going to fit when we have Hart and Selke winners ahead of him on the depth chart?

I wouldn't say we lost the trade. Is Cody's fine play going to pull the Sabres out of 13th place?

Exactly, unfortunately this is logic Cody dick riders can't understand.

But I guess since points and goals mean everything. Cody Hodgson is also better than: Johnathon Toews, Anze Kopitar, Cory Perry, Taylor Hall, Ilya Kovalchuk, Matt Duchene, Patrick Marleau, Patrick Sharp, Patrice Bergeron, Alex Ovechkin, Rick Nash, Jeff Carter, Jordan Eberle, David Krejci, Loui Eriksson, exc. exc.

Its no surprise to me Buffalo is 3rd in goal against, and has the 3rd lowest GA to GF differential.

The irony to your implied assessment that Hodgson is such a defensive liability that he's somehow single-handedly responsible for Buffalo suffering on the goals against, is that this thread was started to talk about a sick goal the kid had just scored - short-handed, solo-effort, from a take away in the neutral zone to going in and around the D.

Short-handed because Buffalo's mgmt didn't rely on the opinions of disgruntled Canuck fans to evaluate the Hodgson's potential, but instead appear to have deliberately and consistently put the kid into situations for him to gain the experience needed to develop into a solid two-way player. I haven't seen anyone suggest he's entirely there yet, but he's clearly on the way.

He's got his screwy moments in the defensive zone, he sure ain't perfect in the dot, and he's only average for blocking shots and hits. But his d-zone flop moments are significantly less frequent, his FO % is steadily improving, and he's putting more of his body into the play than the likes of many of our Canucks... You don't want to rely on just points to evaluate his play, okay -

Hodgson has more blocked shots than all Canucks (excluding Weise by 1), more hits than the likes of either Sedin, has more takeaways than all Canucks (excluding Higgins, by 5), and fewer giveaways than the likes the Sedins (and Kassian, go figure). Hodgson has taken by far the most FOs for Buffalo (454), sucked to begin the season but has steadily improved to 46.7%. Comparably, Henrik has by the far most FOs for canucks (429), with only a 49.9% to show after years of 1st line NHL experience.

When you plug back in the part about point production, the kid only looks better. It's hard to compare the PP and SH production, seeing how Hodgson gets next to nothing on the PP and under AV, the Sedins are seemingly "protected" from PK duty, but at even strength Hodgson looks solid -

354:25 Hodgson - 19 pts

343:50 Sedin, H - 17 pts

321:47 Sedin, D - 15 pts

299:03 Burrows - 11 pts

So we've heard all the anti-Hodgson arguments from disgruntled Canucks mgmt and those who seem to fall for the trade exuse stories with sheep-like glasses...

Oh, Hodgson only did well when on the Canucks because coaching staff "protected" him from his own defensive liabilities (in other words, mgmt didn't support the kid's all-round development)...

Oh, Hodgson only did so well because he never had to go up against other team's top lines and d pairings (except, now that he has been, he's been out-producing the Canucks' own top players).

Oh, Hodgson is weak and slow (gee, didn't we hear that about the Sedins back when they first broke into the league?)

Oh, Hodgson is now only being made to look good by Vanek and Pominville (conveniently forgetting the fact that linemates are *supposed* to feed off each other, just like the Sedins, and the stats that clearly show Hodgson's linemates are clearly getting just as much from playing with him).

This thread seems to be started because the OP had a WOW moment watching a sweet goal on a solo short-handed effort. Shame certain posters around here can't just dump the lame efforts to bash the kid. Funny too, seeing how the Sedins were first treated as young players (weak, slow, etc.) - you'd think Canuck fans woulda learned by now...

Hodgson has 10 blocked shots. Hamhuis alone has 19 more blocked shots than Hodgson but please do enlighten me with your links to your stats because just the blocked shots alone stat you got wrong, so it's easy to see why you don't have links to back any of your arguments.

Hodgson is playing on a top line.

When Kassian played a handful of games on the top line he scored 5 goals, and was scoring at the same pace as Hodgson. Then AV takes him off.

If Kassian was being given the same opportunities, his point totals would be much higher. He's also got a year in hand of development for himself though.

Definately goal of the year so far, better than Malkin's for sure. Hodgson just embarassed 2 Hurricanes with that clutch goal. This guy is headed for all-stardom if not this season than the next. He's around a point-per-game right now, who knows, he might even hit a 90 or 100 point season next year.

We surely could have kept him if MG and AV worked well with him. He simply wanted first line minutes right? He's getting around 18-20 minutes a game in Buffalo playing with Vanek and Pominville right now. If MG and AV knew how to bargain, they would have told him that he'd be getting those minutes in Vancouver on our 2nd line with guys like Booth and Raymond. Kesler laps up around that much time on our 2nd line anyway.

Give him another season and he would have been our #1 center, the Sedins would take our 2nd line spots and we'd have the deepest offence in the league.

Please stick to the topic without all the insults. I've done clean up with warnings/suspensions applied to some...expect more of the same if it continues.

As for the goal: great stuff - happy for Cody that he's finding success. Beautiful goal...it just looked like it had been slowed right down...how he was able to stick handle in like that without blazing speed, to me, says just as much about the guys trying to defend against him. Wow - fail.

But with the way he left here and an obvious "stage father", a lot of pressure was on him to really prove himself and I am glad that he is able to do that, even if it isn't here.

Archived