397 replies to this topic

#151 Provost

Provost

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,065 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:32 PM

Please everyone shut up about Hodgson, it is so sad and pathetic. You are like a dude that stalks an ex-girlfriend after she dumps you (Hodgson dumped us BTW).

Are we going to hear this whining every time he has a good game? I know we hear silence when he has a terrible game. He has decent points (and is a minus player) on a terrible team that isn't in a playoff position. that team has already fired their coach and has a very well reported dysfunctional dressing room.

You are the same goobers who whine that just because Ballard and Booth were great on Florida.. it doesn't make them good players on a good team. This is the exact same logic except in reverse.

Edited by Provost, 06 March 2013 - 02:34 PM.

Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#152 sting

sting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:06 PM

Man are alot of fans insecure about Cody's success.

Kids a great offensive talent. We all knew it and his past and current success is proof.

Fact is he was a top 6 or bust talent and we already had one of the best 1-2 combos in the league.

Just curious who he should have replaced? The Hart trophy winner or the Selke 40 goal guy.

Would have loved to see him come of age in Van but it became a numbers game. It is asinine to keep comparing him to either of our top centers and Kassian.

#153 InTheCrease

InTheCrease

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

I don't think this is true at all. Kesler and Manny were injured at the time of the trade and had struggled all year. Manny was doubted to ever regain form and his days were seen as numbered. Keslers injuries were blurred, but it hardly took any foresight to know he was at a high risk of re-injury and his playmaking/chemistry issues lingered. Nothing unexpected has really happened since the deal, we traded a centre at a time when we had questions about 2 others, on top of it, we never replaced the position.

Also, I think Cody has more points vs Boston since the finals, than the entire team had that series. He's not the type to disappear vs larger/physical teams. Rather the opposite, he's a big game player, always has been.

I agree though that we shouldn't take it out on Kass, I have liked him since he came here, and think he could turn into a really good player. Ultimately, him and Cody didn't meet in some back office, shake hands and swap jerseys. They shouldn't be blamed for the mistakes of others.

Fair enough on the Cody points, he was quite good in the finals. I just get sick of people bashing one or the other. Both have a different skill set and different things they bring to the table.

Unfortunate how things panned out, would have been pretty sweet to still have him around and have picked up Kassian another player.
I played for the Leafs for three years, Im used to the booing so it wont affect me - Kyle Wellwood

#154 gaydar

gaydar

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:36 PM

Very nice shorthanded goal, good for Cody I am glad he's doing well in Buffalo.

#155 DooBie604

DooBie604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

What the hell is wrong with you guys?! Why does CDC have to hate on one player in order to boost another. Loungo Vs. Schneider. Cody Vs. Zack. The name calling? Kass dick riders? It's kind of hypocritical to say that without implying your a Cody dick rider isn't it? I hate when people come up with lame names like Lou lover or Kass dick rider just because someone supports a player because it in fact points out that anyone who supports anyone or anything is a fan boy.

That was a sick goal. Good to see Cody is thriving with his new team and getting the ice time he wanted. Kass is developing into a fine player and in future years will probably become the dominating power forward that this franchise has sorely needed for so long. Both teams got what they needed. One of those win-win trades I think.

#156 Tokasmoka

Tokasmoka

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:09 PM

I don't hate on Kassquatch it's not his fault the deal went down. I hate on AV becuase he is nothing more then a average coach at best, MG for being horrible at trading and analyzing talent, and Kes for being a one hit wonder diving diva. This trade was like watching your kid drop out of high school 2 weeks before grad. So close but now so far away.

It was a ill timed trade(we can all agree on that thanks to a first round exit) and the return was less then what was given. Simple as that. Everything Gillis talks about building a franchise off the Detroit model he contradicts with mundane moves such as this then has the audacity to throw the kid under the bus but not on the day of the trade no 2 weeks later after being constantly hounded by the media and the fans. Bonehead move but what can i do? Only thing i can do is support the Kraken Kassquatch and hopes he out developes Cody but that seems unlikely. But still a dumb trade and honestly has Gillis made a good trade yet?

#157 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:09 PM

It's safe to say the A.V. screwed us over. The reason Coho wanted to leave, is because he wasn't getting ice time. Ice time he rightly deserved. Over the past two seasons Coho has been better for Kesler yet Kesler always gets lots of ice time because of his past play. I'm not saying that Kassian isn't going to be a good player as he is more of a long term project but I think many people hate Coho undeservingly. He deserved the ice time, A.V. was just being A.V.

#158 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,555 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:41 PM

The irony to your implied assessment that Hodgson is such a defensive liability that he's somehow single-handedly responsible for Buffalo suffering on the goals against, is that this thread was started to talk about a sick goal the kid had just scored - short-handed, solo-effort, from a take away in the neutral zone to going in and around the D.

Short-handed because Buffalo's mgmt didn't rely on the opinions of disgruntled Canuck fans to evaluate the Hodgson's potential, but instead appear to have deliberately and consistently put the kid into situations for him to gain the experience needed to develop into a solid two-way player. I haven't seen anyone suggest he's entirely there yet, but he's clearly on the way.

He's got his screwy moments in the defensive zone, he sure ain't perfect in the dot, and he's only average for blocking shots and hits. But his d-zone flop moments are significantly less frequent, his FO % is steadily improving, and he's putting more of his body into the play than the likes of many of our Canucks... You don't want to rely on just points to evaluate his play, okay -

Hodgson has more blocked shots than all Canucks (excluding Weise by 1), more hits than the likes of either Sedin, has more takeaways than all Canucks (excluding Higgins, by 5), and fewer giveaways than the likes the Sedins (and Kassian, go figure). Hodgson has taken by far the most FOs for Buffalo (454), sucked to begin the season but has steadily improved to 46.7%. Comparably, Henrik has by the far most FOs for canucks (429), with only a 49.9% to show after years of 1st line NHL experience.

When you plug back in the part about point production, the kid only looks better. It's hard to compare the PP and SH production, seeing how Hodgson gets next to nothing on the PP and under AV, the Sedins are seemingly "protected" from PK duty, but at even strength Hodgson looks solid -

354:25 Hodgson - 19 pts
343:50 Sedin, H - 17 pts
321:47 Sedin, D - 15 pts
299:03 Burrows - 11 pts

So we've heard all the anti-Hodgson arguments from disgruntled Canucks mgmt and those who seem to fall for the trade exuse stories with sheep-like glasses...

Oh, Hodgson only did well when on the Canucks because coaching staff "protected" him from his own defensive liabilities (in other words, mgmt didn't support the kid's all-round development)...

Oh, Hodgson only did so well because he never had to go up against other team's top lines and d pairings (except, now that he has been, he's been out-producing the Canucks' own top players).

Oh, Hodgson is weak and slow (gee, didn't we hear that about the Sedins back when they first broke into the league?)

Oh, Hodgson is now only being made to look good by Vanek and Pominville (conveniently forgetting the fact that linemates are *supposed* to feed off each other, just like the Sedins, and the stats that clearly show Hodgson's linemates are clearly getting just as much from playing with him).

This thread seems to be started because the OP had a WOW moment watching a sweet goal on a solo short-handed effort. Shame certain posters around here can't just dump the lame efforts to bash the kid. Funny too, seeing how the Sedins were first treated as young players (weak, slow, etc.) - you'd think Canuck fans woulda learned by now...

If you would have looked at my posts in this thread, you would have seen I acknowledged that it was a spectacular goal.

Then some people went completely overboard by saying he is better than Kesler, then thats when I brought the defensive game into the equation.

Its great to say he has more blocked shots, hits, exc. The thing with that is, he there #1C and they are like you say trying to develop his allround game, he isn't getting more offensive starts like our #1C. And we dived our PK time up alot more than Buffalo does. He also is 2nd on the Sabres in GA when he is on the ice with 32. In comparison to our team our highest forward only has 18, and our highest in total is Hammer with 26.

I agree with you, you made great points. I'm not coming here to slam Cody, it was a great goal and I'm glad he is getting a great opportunity in Buffalo, I'm just reacting to people going far overboard saying he is better than Kesler, and that Kassian sucks because Cody scored one beautiful goal.

zackass.png

#159 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,555 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:03 PM

In my opinion Raymond has been great for us over the last two years and he gets good streaks. But mayray is just a streak player not consistent. Cody is pure skill and when he was with the canucks I had him down as a new age 'Joe Sakic'. As in potential and skill set to reach that level.

Kessler is good but not great. He's a grinding two way forward and with the way he plays that just won't last long, again that's my opinion. And always has been my opinion since 'the trade'. That's why Kessler was diving. It's a sign of weakness and we have to understand which kind of players they are not just that they are all players. Simply put the level that Kessler made it to with his play style is not sustainable.

Would love him to prove me wrong but I take CH any day any time over RK. And that's just pure foresight and doing what's best for the organization in the years to come. For some reason personal issues overshadowed doing what's best for the team and fans. That was keeping CH no matter what and letting him develope on the team further.

Instead we have to watch as our current roster fades and he enters his prime.

Tough pill to swallow but I support CH and the canucks. I even support RK but gotta call it how I see it even if that looks bad. Again it's about what I think is best for the teams future.

Raymond's been great for us...? Don't you remember everyone hating on him last year? I'm a Raymond fan, but he struggled in those 2 seasons.

Cody is skill, he is offensive smarts, but I don't see him as Sakic. I don't think his style is comparable at all really and Sakic is generational talent, I don't think Cody has that, a really good player but not generational talent.

His offensive/playmaking IQ is extremely high, and thats how he picks up so many points, he also has great hands and can bear down when he gets the opportunity. His game is just smarts, there isn't any explosiveness and he's not that guy who can just break the game open, but his high hockey smarts and IQ along with the great passing skills and great shot bring him the points, a great playmaking center for a guy like Vanek as we have seen. He also to me is a great PP guy and is at his best in controlled situations like PP's or when you are putting on continuous pressure. As far as Buffalo goes, I think he and Grigorenko will set them up for a long time in the top 6 down the middle, although I think he will be the #2C, not bashing him I just think Grigorenko has a better allround game with the same offensive production, maybe a tad higher.

His weakness obviously are skating, defensive play, not really being physical and whatever comes with being a smaller guy. His offensive skills are there, like they are very developed, his job now is to develop the rest of his game to a higher level.

To me, he is a 60-80+ point, 30 goal guy, but he isn't that horse you rely on in all situations like we see with Sakic, Toews, even Kesler for us to a certain extent, exc.

As for Kesler, he is an elite two way player. Has proven he is capable of putting up 1st line production and being a 1st line calibre forward. His diving is something no one likes and he has to work on, but that doesn't take away from him as a hockey player, he is still the X factor for this team and the piece that puts us on that extra level and that makes us an elite team. Cody can't do nearly the job for this team that he does.

Everyone loves to blow the injury card out of the water, he came back early. Aside from that how is this different from any other injury? Cody was injured now look at him, Raymond had a far worse injury, look at him. Kesler had that one flury of injuries from a long playoff run which is natural. And he didn't fully heal, he did this time around and looked like he was as good as ever in his first few games, then he suffered that fluke injury that could happen to anyone. Thats really nothing you can attribute to how he plays.

I would never take Cody over RK17. As an elite two-way forward capable of 1st line production is alot more valuable than an offensive/playmaking center. Once the Sedins are gone he is the #1C of this team while we wait on the other centers we have like Gaunce and Schroeder develop, aswell as any other centers we may draft or pickup.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 06 March 2013 - 06:05 PM.

zackass.png

#160 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,082 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:13 PM

With Cody scoring 2 out of the 3 goals tonight he was the reason that the Sabres even looked respectable last night.

With that having been said, a power forward takes longer to develop so the jury will be out on Big Kass for another couple of years. AV needs to get Kass off of the 4th friggin' line though. He will not develop properly until he starts getting some minutes. All AV is doing is using Kass as a backup goon. That's just stupid plain and simple.

Like I said in my thread from the other day, I am definitely happy that Cody is working out well for us.

At the same time I'm pulling for Kass to do well. He's a stand up guy.

If you're pulling for him, maybe you'd like to pay a little closer attention.

Kassian has spent far more time on the first, second and third lines than the fourth.

He's not going to take years to develop - he's a solid NHL player as a rookie - and he's getting over 14 minutes a night - on a contender (ironically, more than Hodgson last season)...

He's being used nothing like a "backup goon". It sounds like you haven't watched a single game. He has merely 23pm this season - thats's less than Burrows, Bieksa, Weise.

He has a resectable 5 goals and 8 points - 9th on the Canucks - and is also 9th on the club in relative corsi despite only 47% offensive zone starts and facing the 9th strongest quality of competition on the team.

What that all means - Kassian, as a rookie, is trusted by AV to play tough minutes, in various roles - he is not getting sheltered or 4th line minutes - not tailored ozone starts against weak competition - as AV did with a rookie who wasn't ready for the defensive role or NHL matchups - I won't name anyone, but I'm not talking about Schroeder here, who has also been trusted up and down the lineup - he has played as many fourth line minutes as Kassian...
The current rookies on the Canucks roster - Kassian, Tanev and Schroeder - are all players that AV feels free to and does integrate into a range of challenging roles - AV is used to developing quality young two way players (as in Burrows, Hansen, Kesler, Edler, Bieksa, Raymond...all notable two way NHLers developed by AV).
Kassian, like any rookie, has had a few anxious moments (actually, very few - no more than the rest of the roster) - overall, he's been excellent - very disciplined, responsible defensively (his ozone finishes are higher than his starts, and has a +rel.corsi), passes the puck very well (a few giveaways like any player, but very good vision), adapts well to different roles, a good attitude and a good team-mate (yes, when it came time to deter Eager from taking runs at the Sedins, he stepped up for his teammates), and his physical game is measured - couldn't be more pleased with him. No need to wait on his development - he's already a solid contributor in a range of valuable ways, and settling into a top 6 role playing with Booth.

Edited by oldnews, 06 March 2013 - 06:30 PM.

#161 surtur

surtur

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

was that in slow motion what was the D doing he skated past and around them like he was on a sunday stroll looking at the puck the whole time. that was not a goal of the year that was worst Defensive play by a team of the year .
he did make it look good but I could skate around a team that is standing still and dangle at crawling speed too.

Release The KraKassian
Kassianthe_Krakensm.jpg

#162 mikeburn

mikeburn

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:39 PM

It's safe to say the A.V. screwed us over. The reason Coho wanted to leave, is because he wasn't getting ice time. Ice time he rightly deserved. Over the past two seasons Coho has been better for Kesler yet Kesler always gets lots of ice time because of his past play. I'm not saying that Kassian isn't going to be a good player as he is more of a long term project but I think many people hate Coho undeservingly. He deserved the ice time, A.V. was just being A.V.

And now AV is just being AV with Kassian.

I understand the concept about "deserving ice time", but after watching how Buffalo has been dealing with its younger players (incl. Hodgson), I'm starting to think there's something to be said for skipping the whole notion of "deserving" and "earning", and plugging in a bit of it just makes sense to give players some rope to play with - IF you want them to develop!

I don't follow any teams but Canucks and Buffalo (this year only), but between watching how coaching staff does stuff between those two teams and my own 5+ years experience developing players on our amateur rec hockey team, I really question how AV does the whole "deserving" thing with some players....

Take, for example, Buffalo's issue in the dot this season... their centers are generally younger, inexperienced and were entirely out of their league earlier on in the season, yet the coach(es) didn't just dump using them in the dot, but instead gave them the experience, game after game, and now they're steadily improving FO %. Sure, Buffalo suffered for it earlier on in the season, but it's not like the team's FO% was the leading problem for their losses, and now at least they've gotten stronger down the center in that function. So, it can be argued that while their centers didn't "deserved" the unearned opportunity, it was a worthwhile investment for the team as a whole long term.

Same goes to Hodgson's defensive abilities - he looked out of place and lost earlier on the season, but he was given the support of his coaches and persistently given defensive roles (key d-zone faceooffs, PK duty, etc.) anyway. Unearned, "undeserved" chances, but well worth the investment too as he's clearly come a long way in his defensive game.

These are the types of examples that make me wonder if perhaps AV should get off his high-horse about players "deserving" chances, and get on with supporting, developing ALL his assets (not just favourites who seem to get chances no matter how undeserving!)... It'd mean not benching a rookie every time he screws up, or dumping Kassian from a top 6 role because he had a couple weak games, or scratching a healthy D because he wasn't perfect, or flipping all the lines every which way between periods because some guy on another line needed a "boost"....

I'm glad for Hodgson that he's had some coaching support to develop his game. I'm not so convinced that Kassian will receive the same benefit under his coach...

#163 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,834 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:54 PM

Does punching people win the cup? I was under the impression that scoring more goals than your opponent does that.

Boston did both to us in 2011.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#164 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,300 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:57 PM

And now AV is just being AV with Kassian.

I understand the concept about "deserving ice time", but after watching how Buffalo has been dealing with its younger players (incl. Hodgson), I'm starting to think there's something to be said for skipping the whole notion of "deserving" and "earning", and plugging in a bit of it just makes sense to give players some rope to play with - IF you want them to develop!

I don't follow any teams but Canucks and Buffalo (this year only), but between watching how coaching staff does stuff between those two teams and my own 5+ years experience developing players on our amateur rec hockey team, I really question how AV does the whole "deserving" thing with some players....

Take, for example, Buffalo's issue in the dot this season... their centers are generally younger, inexperienced and were entirely out of their league earlier on in the season, yet the coach(es) didn't just dump using them in the dot, but instead gave them the experience, game after game, and now they're steadily improving FO %. Sure, Buffalo suffered for it earlier on in the season, but it's not like the team's FO% was the leading problem for their losses, and now at least they've gotten stronger down the center in that function. So, it can be argued that while their centers didn't "deserved" the unearned opportunity, it was a worthwhile investment for the team as a whole long term.

Same goes to Hodgson's defensive abilities - he looked out of place and lost earlier on the season, but he was given the support of his coaches and persistently given defensive roles (key d-zone faceooffs, PK duty, etc.) anyway. Unearned, "undeserved" chances, but well worth the investment too as he's clearly come a long way in his defensive game.

These are the types of examples that make me wonder if perhaps AV should get off his high-horse about players "deserving" chances, and get on with supporting, developing ALL his assets (not just favourites who seem to get chances no matter how undeserving!)... It'd mean not benching a rookie every time he screws up, or dumping Kassian from a top 6 role because he had a couple weak games, or scratching a healthy D because he wasn't perfect, or flipping all the lines every which way between periods because some guy on another line needed a "boost"....

I'm glad for Hodgson that he's had some coaching support to develop his game. I'm not so convinced that Kassian will receive the same benefit under his coach...

Agreed.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#165 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

All Canuck descendants do well.
Posted Image

#166 SabreFan1

SabreFan1

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

If you're pulling for him, maybe you'd like to pay a little closer attention.

Kassian has spent far more time on the first, second and third lines than the fourth.

He's not going to take years to develop - he's a solid NHL player as a rookie - and he's getting over 14 minutes a night - on a contender (ironically, more than Hodgson last season)...

He's being used nothing like a "backup goon". It sounds like you haven't watched a single game. He has merely 23pm this season - thats's less than Burrows, Bieksa, Weise.

He has a resectable 5 goals and 8 points - 9th on the Canucks - and is also 9th on the club in relative corsi despite only 47% offensive zone starts and facing the 9th strongest quality of competition on the team.

What that all means - Kassian, as a rookie, is trusted by AV to play tough minutes, in various roles - he is not getting sheltered or 4th line minutes - not tailored ozone starts against weak competition - as AV did with a rookie who wasn't ready for the defensive role or NHL matchups - I won't name anyone, but I'm not talking about Schroeder here, who has also been trusted up and down the lineup - he has played as many fourth line minutes as Kassian...
The current rookies on the Canucks roster - Kassian, Tanev and Schroeder - are all players that AV feels free to and does integrate into a range of challenging roles - AV is used to developing quality young two way players (as in Burrows, Hansen, Kesler, Edler, Bieksa, Raymond...all notable two way NHLers developed by AV).
Kassian, like any rookie, has had a few anxious moments (actually, very few - no more than the rest of the roster) - overall, he's been excellent - very disciplined, responsible defensively (his ozone finishes are higher than his starts, and has a +rel.corsi), passes the puck very well (a few giveaways like any player, but very good vision), adapts well to different roles, a good attitude and a good team-mate (yes, when it came time to deter Eager from taking runs at the Sedins, he stepped up for his teammates), and his physical game is measured - couldn't be more pleased with him. No need to wait on his development - he's already a solid contributor in a range of valuable ways, and settling into a top 6 role playing with Booth.

You would have saved yourself a lot of typing if you had just said something along the lines of, "AV uses him more than you think he does. Kassian gets moved to where he's needed the most, and is not just stuck on the fourth line like you think he is". That would have saved a lot of typing/reading.

You're right though, I've watched only about 10 'Nucks games this year. I've only had a sampling of what's going on, on the ice. Over those games I just noticed that his playing time was lacking as time went on and I worried that he was being turned into a goon.

As to him being a solid rookie, that's to be expected. However, he has at least 2 more years of development until you see how he will shape up as a power forward. He hasn't reached his full potential yet. That's what I meant when I said give it a couple of years.

I regularly watched Kass as a Portland Pirate, a Rochester American, and as a call-up for the Sabres. I've seen the rate at which he picks up his skills. He isn't a player that improves slowly and steadily. When he gets ice time, he improves in "growth spurts". I wish I could think of a better way of putting it. He needs to be able to soak up every second that AV throws his way.

As I said before, I like Kass and always will, and I want to see him do well no matter where he plays.

With the first overall pick in the 2015 Draft the Buffalo Sabres select.....

connormcdavid-small.jpg

You know your team is terrible when............ http://www.cbssports...t-booing-louder

#167 Raph

Raph

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:44 PM

How in the world did he beat a defender wide when he was moving so slowly? Don't get me wrong that was a sick goal but what were the canes doing out there?

There are other strategies than speed to get past defenders. Patrick Kane isn't exactly the next coming of Pavel Bure, but his sick stickhandling gives him an edge.

Plus while the Sabres were on the PK. The organization is letting Hodgson be on the ice because they feel he can contribute defensively, but if not, at least make he learn from his mistake so he can become more of a complete player.... some AV never understood.

Exactly. Steve Yzerman protested playing defense until Scottie Bowmen forced him to. Then he turned out to be one of the best 2-way players ever.

#168 DSVII

DSVII

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

Good on Cody, I'm glad he's doing well for himself in Buffalo. It sure would have been nice to see him in a nucks uniform :( we could have acquired Kassian for less IMHO.

I don't mind Kassian, I just question the timing of the trade. Why not make a trade in the offseason? I don't think i'll ever understand the urgency Gillis was in to make that trade by the deadline. In any case, the fact that it was made at all means he obviously has a different opinion from us on the length of our 'window', since Kass may take another few years to develop.

In any case, Good goal Cody, and I wish success to them both! (unless on the off chance we ever see Cody in an SCF vs us haha)

"The Canucks, are like North America, many of us have it so much better than others around the world or NHL, and we don't properly appreciate what we have."

"If Canucks fans hate Mason Raymond so bad, then you should have said something before the trade deadline! Because the Leafs would have totally taken him. I mean, can he score? Can he play a HINT of defense? WE'LL TAKE HIM! WE'LL TAKE TWO!"

- Steve Dangle (Leafs Fan Reaction - youtube)

#169 Lychees

Lychees

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,172 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

Ridonk.

Still like Datsyuk's better

#170 gaydar

gaydar

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:23 PM

was that in slow motion what was the D doing he skated past and around them like he was on a sunday stroll looking at the puck the whole time. that was not a goal of the year that was worst Defensive play by a team of the year .
he did make it look good but I could skate around a team that is standing still and dangle at crawling speed too.

I think it's safe to say it'd be a cold day in hell when you could walk around Carolina's top PP unit.

#171 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 17,082 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:12 PM

You would have saved yourself a lot of typing if you had just said something along the lines of, "AV uses him more than you think he does. Kassian gets moved to where he's needed the most, and is not just stuck on the fourth line like you think he is". That would have saved a lot of typing/reading.

You're right though, I've watched only about 10 'Nucks games this year. I've only had a sampling of what's going on, on the ice. Over those games I just noticed that his playing time was lacking as time went on and I worried that he was being turned into a goon.

As to him being a solid rookie, that's to be expected. However, he has at least 2 more years of development until you see how he will shape up as a power forward. He hasn't reached his full potential yet. That's what I meant when I said give it a couple of years.

I regularly watched Kass as a Portland Pirate, a Rochester American, and as a call-up for the Sabres. I've seen the rate at which he picks up his skills. He isn't a player that improves slowly and steadily. When he gets ice time, he improves in "growth spurts". I wish I could think of a better way of putting it. He needs to be able to soak up every second that AV throws his way.

As I said before, I like Kass and always will, and I want to see him do well no matter where he plays.

Yes, I could have left it at 'AV uses him more than you think' - but most people prefer the evidence - and a lot of people float unsubstantiated claims around here.
No doubt he will keep developing - which is very promising - considering where he's at is pretty good for a rookie - and the amount of premature complaining and calling "bust" has been nauseating around here..
Your point about him growing in spurts is interesting and I don't doubt it - people develop differently - that'll be something to keep an eye on with him - I think your point about him excelling faster the more opportunity he gets is bang on with what he has shown in his time here (while some players may benefit from being sent back to the AHL to work on their game).
When he was given a stint on the first line, he really rose to the challenge/opportunity - and playing with the Sedins, imo, was exactly the kind of confidence building and influence that he needs - and he wasn't demoted, AV simply needed the Burrows presence on that line. The one thing that concerns me - Kassian is a really good fit with Booth, but I'm not sure Kesler - from what I saw, Kesler's effect is very different that the Sedins... Kesler needs to work on that - the way he effects a young player like Kassian imo - he is challenged enough bringing the best out of veteran linemates.
I like Kassian's 'attitude' though, for lack of a better word - he responds very well to a vote of confidence, and he also doesn't mope when his ice-time is reduced - he seems to work at a fairly steady rate whether he is spurting or not - but I think you make a really perceptive point - he does seeem to perform better when he gets the chance to "soak up" what is thrown his way.

#172 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:18 PM

Ridonk.

Still like Datsyuk's better

When Cody gets older, he might be better than Datsyuk.
Posted Image

#173 Lychees

Lychees

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,172 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:20 PM

I'm sorry but there's NO chance of that barring some MASSIVE MASSIVE overhauls

Datsyuk has the speed, the hands, heralded as THE best 2-way player (per Selke) for the past few years, has great vision and can deliver.

I will admit Cody has a better slapper though

#174 CanuckianOne

CanuckianOne

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,814 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:27 PM

Any bets on how long it will be before people stop talking about Cody and the trade?

Who am I kidding...It'll never stop

Zf3XIDB.png

Sig by: Samuel Påhlsson

#175 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:05 PM

Well yeah, seeing how Kessel is a winger.

Actually, Kessel is a natural Center.

Kassian got creamed by Clowe and ......... Actually I don't know what this guys point is, I thought Kassian is suppose be or we want him to be a mike Brown aka la kings, more than a 4th line goon.

LA Kings? The Kings don't have anyone named Mike Brown, they have a player named Dustin Brown and player named Mike Richards.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#176 .Naslund

.Naslund

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

POPULAR

The way to win games is to score more goals than the other team. Cody Hodgson has 21 points, and Kassian has 8. Kassian hits though so he's better.

CDC Logic :rolleyes:

PS: Power Forwards take more time to develop isn't a positive, we need players NOW because our window is closing.
Posted Image

#177 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:18 AM

The way to win games is to score more goals than the other team. Cody Hodgson has 21 points, and Kassian has 8. Kassian hits though so he's better.

PS: Power Forwards take more time to develop isn't a positive, we need players NOW because our window is closing.

LOL you nailed it, I don't know what these people are waiting for.

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#178 The Kassassin Train

The Kassassin Train

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,112 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:07 AM

Oh and BTW, guess who also is absolute garbage in the defensive zone?

Future MVP Steven Stamkos.

Guy is terrible in the defensive zone, but who cares? As long as youre getting goals, nobody gives a rats ass.

LOL. And when did they make it to the ECF, how did they make it? Gasp I believe it was the 1-3-1 that Boucher implemented. Sure Stamkos is leading the league in goals, but remind where are they in the standings? Where is Buffalo?

You might not care but I sure as hell wanna make the playoffs. You can keep your "star" cause it doesn't matter if we make the playoffs...it's all about the OMGBBQ Stars!!!!!! Right?

The key difference is that Sopel can fill in for Seabrook and Campbell just fine. Bieksa, he is garbage so in that sense he is like the worst defenseman in the league.

When Cody (Hodgson) gets older, he might be better than Datsyuk.

Let's not push this guy (Kassian). He's still immature, and if he fails on the 2nd line it's because he isn't ready. Some guys really need years to develop, it's how well and how fast players adapt to the game. In my opinion, I'd rather have Horvat getting 2nd line minutes. He will start off on the 3rd line next season but I see him making the transition, being a great compliment to whoever plays his wings.

At this point, I don't see Kassian fitting in to any role other than a 3rd. If players like Kassian start getting 2nd line minutes then we just stay inconsistent as a team.

The idiocy on CDC....

#179 The Kassassin Train

The Kassassin Train

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,112 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:08 AM

LMFAOOOO HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA.

The key difference is that Sopel can fill in for Seabrook and Campbell just fine. Bieksa, he is garbage so in that sense he is like the worst defenseman in the league.

When Cody (Hodgson) gets older, he might be better than Datsyuk.

Let's not push this guy (Kassian). He's still immature, and if he fails on the 2nd line it's because he isn't ready. Some guys really need years to develop, it's how well and how fast players adapt to the game. In my opinion, I'd rather have Horvat getting 2nd line minutes. He will start off on the 3rd line next season but I see him making the transition, being a great compliment to whoever plays his wings.

At this point, I don't see Kassian fitting in to any role other than a 3rd. If players like Kassian start getting 2nd line minutes then we just stay inconsistent as a team.

The idiocy on CDC....

#180 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,057 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:49 AM

Such simplistic thinking. Yes, of course you have to outscore your opponents.

But in trying to do that you have to outhit, out-defend, and out-will your opponents, or your not going to achieve it.

How many times does the Canucks Vs Bruins have to be brought up? We were the more skilled team with lots of depth scoring. But when it came down to it, we were out-muscled, intimidated, and completely shutdown offensively.

You can have an entire team full of Hodgson's and Sedins, but if you don't have players with grit and muscle, you're not going anywhere. That's pretty straight forward. Our balance of skill vs toughness was off and still is if we want to actually be a contender.

Kassian has 8 and Hodgson has 21. Who cares? For a player who is the skilled player and is meant to put up more points, it's not that surprising. One is playing on a third line, the other is playing on a first line. And as much as some people can't get it through their heads, being a year younger does make a difference.

Kassian is on pace to put up 30 points and 19 goals in a full season. Hodgson had 41 points and 19 goals at his age. Not really much of a gap for the more skilled player.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.