The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Midway Point* Biggest disappointment / biggest pleasant surprise

Canuckler87

Biggest surprise: Lack of goal scoring and power play

Biggest Fail: Fanbase

Come down from the ledge people.

If you remove the divisional leader seedings, we are....guess what....3rd in the conference. As of this morning we are 8th overall out of 30 teams.

I'm just surprised that such knowledgeable hockey fans would blow up a contender at the mid-point of a lockout shortened season that also had no pre-season. Sure they can drive this off a cliff in the next few weeks but they can also go on a run.

Hell 3 months ago most of you professed to be done with the game now you are up in arms because those who are running the team won't read these forums and take your advise.

Disappointment: Garrison. It looks like he's starting to play better though

Surprise: How well Raymond has bounced back this season.

Pleasant Surprise: I've stopped getting up in the early hours of the morning for the same old crap. I now sleep through and watch the replay.

Disappointment: MG continues to look at this team through rose tinted spectacles

Surprise:

Tanev and Hansen

They took it to yet another level this year, had no idea they had an extra gear.

Disappointment:

Owners.

Forum member "Legend Killer" had an awesome post on how much cap space certain (good) team have in hand - he mentioned ANA (14M) and STL/PHO (each with almost $20M). I added LAK (almost 10M) to that list. If you compare those to our <1M cap and bad contracts, it becomes obvious that management has done a lousy job. And these are not teams that are re-building, they are at least very good teams if not legitimate contenders, including the freakin' defending champs. Imagine how tough it will be for us to compete with any of those teams to add talent. And imagine how much tougher those teams can get still. The Canucks owners have been too complacent, and I am afraid they will continue to be - after all, Roger's Arena sells out every single time, doesn't it? Someone prove me wrong, please!

Biggest surprise: Lack of goal scoring and power play

Biggest Fail: Fanbase

Come down from the ledge people.

If you remove the divisional leader seedings, we are....guess what....3rd in the conference. As of this morning we are 8th overall out of 30 teams.

I'm just surprised that such knowledgeable hockey fans would blow up a contender at the mid-point of a lockout shortened season that also had no pre-season. Sure they can drive this off a cliff in the next few weeks but they can also go on a run.

Hell 3 months ago most of you professed to be done with the game now you are up in arms because those who are running the team won't read these forums and take your advise.

Guest Gumballthechewy

Pleasant Surprise: Having hockey at all this year.

Disappointed: That it took as long as it did to get hockey back.

pleasantly surprised by tanev, barker, schroeder, raymond.

disappointed by the lack of urgency they play with. Years ago you could almost feel when they were gonna score late in a game at times. I have yet to feel that this season.

I have a hard time picking out many guys whom id say have been a pleasant surprise. I would go with Tanev, altho i can't say im terribly surprised. He is pretty much the same calm, cool, collected guy we saw last season. I think Higgins and Hansen also deserve praise, both have been very good after a bit of a slow start for Higgins in particular.

I also agree with the assesment of the NW divison.. I though it would be much more competitive like many but man, it hasn't changed much...its still pretty god awful.

As for a dissapointment i think you can pretty much go down most of our lineup, special teams, coaching...more negatives than positives.

If I'm going by players...

Pleasant surprised by Raymond, I expected Hansen and Tanev to improve as they go along and they are favourites of mine (they have been exceeding expectations though). But MayRay looks like he's come back in a big way from the past 2 seasons.

Disappointed by Edler. So much. I don't know what's up from him, but ever since LA last year he's looked off. His production isn't slipping, but he seems less of a threat in the offensive zone somehow. I remember when he came into the league, we were all saying how ice-cool he looked (like Tanev now), but his gaffes get worse and worse in his own zone. He isn't being as physical as he used to be either. Hopefully he gets it back, because he's a big part of our d-core.

If I'm going by bigger picture, I'm pleasantly surprised there's NHL hockey this year! I had lost faith there would be a season, and we've had an entertaining one around the league thus far.

I'm disappointed by the Canucks' play as a whole. Mostly been riding the goalies the whole season, and we never seem to have both the big guns and the secondary scoring firing at once, always just been one carrying the other (mostly the twins now). Our D is suspect.

Archived