Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

(Speculation) Are Flyers and Canucks perfetc trade partners?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
97 replies to this topic

#31 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:14 PM

[Speculation]: A question?

Chopper-for-life-7-600x200.png

If we don't even dump one veteran, I'll stop posting on CDC until October 7th. It's that disappointing. - Tom Sestito, June 27th.

#32 70seven

70seven

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:14 PM

i could see a potential deal here, but i think as others have suggested, Edler would be of the most interest to Philly, and I would be willing to deal if the return was solid.

If we were to trade them Edler, we'd need B. Schenn or Couturier back in the deal, and preferably along with a d-man.

My deal:

Edler, Schroeder
for
Couturier, Coburn/Grossmann

I still think that the Canucks have a better chance of making a deal with the TML.

Luongo, Schroeder
for
Bozak, Gardiner

#33 Legend Killer

Legend Killer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:19 PM

i could see a potential deal here, but i think as others have suggested, Edler would be of the most interest to Philly, and I would be willing to deal if the return was solid.

If we were to trade them Edler, we'd need B. Schenn or Couturier back in the deal, and preferably along with a d-man.

My deal:

Edler, Schroeder
for
Couturier, Coburn/Grossmann

I still think that the Canucks have a better chance of making a deal with the TML.

Luongo, Schroeder
for
Bozak, Gardiner

no friggin way. couteurier is overrated
Posted Image
For the first time in a long time.. the future looks bright..

#34 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,106 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:20 PM

Edler isn't going anywhere, he has his faults but he'll mature. Still a top 10 D-man in the league imo.

Subban, Letang, Weber, Suter, Chara, Karlsson, Doughty, Kronwall, Keith, Hamhuis to name a few all better than Edler. Didn't even mention the young up-and-comers in Pietrangelo and Ekman-Larsson for example who will be better than Edler in a year or so.

Edler is far from top 10 in the league.

(Sig removed by mod)
Previously Doug The Thug Glatt

#35 Master Mind

Master Mind

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,628 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:26 PM

Philly needs D more than a goalie. Package Ballard for a centre.

Philly won't buy our Bryz. They need to improve their D asap if they wanna win. If they do that, and then Bryz can't get the job done, then maybe they'll buy him out.

I would be pleased as punch if you pressed this green button.

1zx175v.jpg

small.pngCDCP - New York Rangers

#36 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,592 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:34 PM

no friggin way. couteurier is overrated

how so?

#37 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 26,486 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:38 PM

So Luongo is just going to come in a save the day? A brick wall as their goalie would be hung out to dry with that atrocious defense.

Never said they would want Luongo. I was clarifying to someone the rules on buyouts.

But I wouldn't underestimate Flyers ownership wanting something drastic done quickly. Whatever that ends up being.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#38 Legend Killer

Legend Killer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:47 PM

how so?

He's soft, and honestly for his size he's pretty slow. Don't get me wrong, i think he'll be good. But not as great as a lot of fans are thinking he'll be. 3rd Line center potential, possibly top 6. Personally i was never a fan of them picking him, that's all. Dougie Hamilton would've been a better move for them.
Posted Image

#39 gizmo2337

gizmo2337

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:47 PM

I don't really see them as good partners. Edler is the most valuable piece to Philly. But we would need a quality defenseman back....which defeats the purpose of the deal for Philly.

Voice of reason

#40 ForsbergTheGreat

ForsbergTheGreat

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,117 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:57 PM

You don't have to pay the full amount for a buyout.

For Bryzgalov's contract a buyout would cost 2/3 of the remaining salary spread over twice the remaining term.

Therefore it would cost Snyder 23 million over the next 14 years. Which for him is peanuts. And if he believes a player is a weak link and hurting his teams chances to win, I'm sure he'll have no hesitation to cut him loose.

23million is peanuts? You be the GM and go to your boss and said you've made a 23 million mistake but don't worry it'll only have to be paid over 14 years.. Like I said IF and that's IF bryz was the only weak link in the chain maybe he'd consider theres more to phillys problems this year than just there goaltender. But you had a good tho.

#41 Chip Kelly

Chip Kelly

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,267 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:06 PM

Philly needs to bury Brygalov before the Canucks can talk. Maybe they can trade him to the Islanders. :lol: It's a good thing teams are protected now from giving out these ridiculous long term deals.

Baseball deals are the worst no cap and fully guaranteed long term big money deals. That's gotta be the best gig in pro sports.

Be an average major leaguer and still make 5 schmil what a joke.

Edited by Terry Crews, 13 March 2013 - 10:11 PM.

Looking forward to the draft and off-season moves. This team needs major changes.

Needs to get more skilled,physical, faster, younger.

#42 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 26,486 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:06 PM

23million is peanuts? You be the GM and go to your boss and said you've made a 23 million mistake but don't worry it'll only have to be paid over 14 years.. Like I said IF and that's IF bryz was the only weak link in the chain maybe he'd consider theres more to phillys problems this year than just there goaltender. But you had a good tho.

It's widely believed that Snyder was the one to force Homgren's hand to go out and get Bryzgalov. So he would be fixing his own mistake. And yes, a million dollars a year for a billionaire is nothing. He just writes it off as a loss.

Bryzgalov is certainly not the only weak link, but he's the starting point. And I don't even think it's his average play that makes him a weak link, I think it's his personality. I wouldn't be surprised if some of his comments have pissed off management along the way.

Edited by DeNiro, 13 March 2013 - 10:07 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#43 trollup

trollup

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:12 PM

A fair trade with Philly would be

Luongo, Booth, and Schroeder for Bryzgalov, Couturier, Fedotenko, and Talbot.
$10.5 mil going each way. Van. gets 2 centermen, lw, and goalie looking for a change.
In the off season, Canucks could buyout Bryz to bring down the cap by $5.5 mil
Vancouver would have 15 players under contract, and about 12 million to sign players

#44 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 20,592 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:25 PM

He's soft, and honestly for his size he's pretty slow. Don't get me wrong, i think he'll be good. But not as great as a lot of fans are thinking he'll be. 3rd Line center potential, possibly top 6. Personally i was never a fan of them picking him, that's all. Dougie Hamilton would've been a better move for them.

I have to disagree. I'm not going to say he's the fastest or most punishing player, but aside from that, I think he's actually under-rated.
A few things to keep in mind imo - there is only one player on the Flyers who faces a stronger quality of competition (Talbot) and only one guy who gets fewer offensive zone starts (Talbot).
Couturier, despite that fact, has a positive relative corsi and when you consider that situationally, he is playing a shutdown role, his 13 goals and 27 points last season were actually very impressive, particularly playing primarily with Rinaldo and Talbot.
When you factor in that he was a teenager, I don't really see much there to indicate "over-rated".
He has slipped slightly this year - as has his entire team - but I wouldn't hesitate to pay the price for his young guy - I think he's showing tremendous two-way potential.

#45 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:32 PM

what would be wrong with

hamhuis bieksa
garrison tanev

as a top 4?

if edler brings us some much need offensive punch you do it. But its all but certain MG wont trade him, I doubt he does after just signing a contract at a good rate, Edler isnt a marco sturm.

If we move a D its gonna be Ballard

What's wrong with that top four? Hmm...we're one injury away from disaster and I'm not convinced Tanev is ready to be a top-four player yet. I love him and he's solid, but lately he's had to play 24+ min and his play has slipped because of it. Short-term that's alright. But he won't work as long-term top-four option - at least not yet.

Edler brings offensive punch as well. He'ss our best offensive defenseman and he is locked in at a good contract. I don't think we need scoring forwards right now. Vancouver is dominating possession-wise. It's just guys like Booth and Burrows are shooting way below their career averages despite playing fairly well. They'll start scoring soon.

I agree Ballard is the guy to move. But he won't return much.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#46 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,069 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:45 PM

Haha these trade proposals are ridiculous. You're on crack if you think they're sending us both Schenns.

#47 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:03 PM

Well at some point they called about Luongo, so they had interest. I'd say they are ideal trading partners. Gillis is reportedly looking for a centre, Philly has their greatest depth in that position.

Either way, I think they miss the playoffs and buy out Bryz this summer. Not sure they go after Luongo again, but Bryz is a gonner IMO.

It's Couturier or bust.

Edited by RunningWild, 13 March 2013 - 11:05 PM.

#48 Legend Killer

Legend Killer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:33 PM

I have to disagree. I'm not going to say he's the fastest or most punishing player, but aside from that, I think he's actually under-rated.
A few things to keep in mind imo - there is only one player on the Flyers who faces a stronger quality of competition (Talbot) and only one guy who gets fewer offensive zone starts (Talbot).
Couturier, despite that fact, has a positive relative corsi and when you consider that situationally, he is playing a shutdown role, his 13 goals and 27 points last season were actually very impressive, particularly playing primarily with Rinaldo and Talbot.
When you factor in that he was a teenager, I don't really see much there to indicate "over-rated".
He has slipped slightly this year - as has his entire team - but I wouldn't hesitate to pay the price for his young guy - I think he's showing tremendous two-way potential.

Depends how steep the price is, but i wouldn't give edler, like some people would. Maybe overrated was the wrong choice of word, but i think his success at such a young age raised his value and expectations a bit more than they should be.
Posted Image

#49 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 20,592 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:59 PM

Depends how steep the price is, but i wouldn't give edler, like some people would. Maybe overrated was the wrong choice of word, but i think his success at such a young age raised his value and expectations a bit more than they should be.

In that context I see what you mean by over-rated - I also generally wouldn't consider a young player like Couturier to have the value of Edler - and when people suggest that Luongo isn't worth a first rate prospect/young player, I tend to disagree. I'd love to see Couturier in a deal, but I'm not going to get carried away and suggest a price like Edler or that Luongo isn't enough to land him.

I also think people are getting carried away with the value of young players in general, and most recently on these boards, the Schenn brothers. To me, the idea of giving up a package like Luongo, Schroeder, Ballard, Connauton and a 2nd for those two and a throw in backup is a substantial overpayment.

I think the Carter and Richard's deals are more representative of the value of a veteran like Luongo - their contracts are similar, their value to a team comparable imo, and their productive longevity will probably also be comparable despite those skaters being younger. I'd compromise somewhat on the value given the changed climate of the new CBA - with the cap dropping I'd probably accept a deal like Couturier and a pick or reasonable roster player, but the idea that Luo isn't worth a prospect, imo, is ridiculous, and his contract, overstated.

#50 Legend Killer

Legend Killer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:36 AM

Take his comparables in the league (Miller, Lundqvist, etc.. ) and all these deals are laughable. Luongo is a FRANCHISE GOALIE. I swear some people under value our assets.
Posted Image

#51 CHIPS

CHIPS

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:51 AM

4th for Simon Gagne. UFA next year.

Booth-Kesler-Gagne

They might also unload the under-performing Scott Hartnell. But please DO NOT take him crazy contract.

Unless Aq is feeling rich and willing to buy him out if things turn sour.

Edited by CHIPS, 14 March 2013 - 01:53 AM.

CanucksvsBruinsPollsmall-1.jpgRogerNeilsonSmall.jpgSig too big. 

#52 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:20 AM

I just want to remind everyone

that this is not a video game

Milbury is not the Flyers GM

Trades are designed to make both teams better.

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#53 Spoosh

Spoosh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:43 AM

Vancouver cap space $1,037,828

Philadelphia cap space $46,151

Not very much room to do business. All contracts would need to be even in a trade to avoid going over the cap. And as it's a problem for both teams this summer and will both will have to address this problem and trim their wages then. It seems like a poor idea to improve your team for 20 regular season games + possible playoffs only to go through a complete fire-sale in the summer and start over. If you wan't to move valuable assets to build for the future, then I doubt the right strategy would be to pay max for a short fix and then give up something else you were hoping to keep, just so you can keep the new ones.

© 2000, 2015 K'Spoosh Entertainment Ltd.

Misuse of this almost copyrighted information will with near certainty lead to misuse of it.

SuomenLippu.gif

#54 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,719 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:47 AM

Couturier is exactly what the Canucks need a good 3rd line Center with big upside and low cap hit. Canadian kid with lots of grit that can pk and has a big motor and heart. Booth-Couturier-Kassian is not to bad a 3rd line going into the playoffs. I love Schneids but would deal him in a heartbeat to get Couturier..good hockey trade for both teams.

#55 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:13 AM

I think Philly is more interested in Edler than a goalie at this point. They might try to beef up their defense before giving up on bryzgalov. No way we give him up unless its a hefty return. But that might not be a bad idea for the Canucks future if you maximize an return on edler and then build a package around a goalie to another team for another young stud defenseman.

I've been proposing a deal like edler Raymond for couturier talbot 1st.

Then you have 2 first round picks and Schneider/luongo to throw around replacing edler.

Schneider both first round picks and Ballard for Adam Larsson David Clarkson 2nd

Then you've got rid of
Schneider Edler Ballard Raymond 1st

For

Couturier Larsson Talbot Clarkson

Sedin sedin Clarkson
Booth Kesler Kassian
Burrows Couturier Hansen
Lapierre Talbot Higgins

Hamhuis Larsson
Garrison Bieksa
Barker Tanev

Luongo
Chris Levesque

Lindy Ruff too? Or am I just being greedy haha

Tell me those teams don't at least consider those deals

#56 Yotes

Yotes

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

What's wrong with that top four? Hmm...we're one injury away from disaster and I'm not convinced Tanev is ready to be a top-four player yet. I love him and he's solid, but lately he's had to play 24+ min and his play has slipped because of it. Short-term that's alright. But he won't work as long-term top-four option - at least not yet.

Edler brings offensive punch as well. He'ss our best offensive defenseman and he is locked in at a good contract. I don't think we need scoring forwards right now. Vancouver is dominating possession-wise. It's just guys like Booth and Burrows are shooting way below their career averages despite playing fairly well. They'll start scoring soon.

I agree Ballard is the guy to move. But he won't return much.

Well if Edler was the one moved, we would still have ballard. Cant have 2 or 3 top 4 d men playing on our bottom six or sitting in the press box.

As for trading edler, you only trade this guy if you get one hell of a good return.

edler

for

b.Schenn/Voracek

or simmonds plus

We could move edler but it would have to be for a good return.

Edler for bobby ryan? Would suck that he stays out west tho, which could bite us down the road

#57 Niklas Jensen

Niklas Jensen

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:24 AM

they will for sure want Cory Schneider and will likely overpay for him. I can see them inquiring about Lu but his contract will detriment the return coming back. Cory Schneider will at least fetch us Coutourier
Our D's must make opponent fowards going to the net PAY THE PRICE

#58 Legend Killer

Legend Killer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:30 AM

4th for Simon Gagne. UFA next year.

Booth-Kesler-Gagne

They might also unload the under-performing Scott Hartnell. But please DO NOT take him crazy contract.

Unless Aq is feeling rich and willing to buy him out if things turn sour.

He's got five years left, not that bad. I wouldn't mind him
Posted Image

#59 theo5789

theo5789

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:24 AM

Hartnell looked good with the Sedins in the All Star Game. Sure it's just an ASG, but it's something and he's a guy that could protect the Sedins as well.

I would say Hartnell and Coburn for Booth and Ballard. Both teams need a shake-up. Booth would look good with the Flyers with his style of play and could benefit from the playmaking of Giroux and Briere.

I don't think guys like Couturier or the Schenn's would be the pieces they want to move. Even Simmonds, as he is like their Hansen, where he has more value to his team than he would in a trade.
VanWhitecapsFC YouTube Page

Also mycanucksdotca on YouTube

#60 CHIPS

CHIPS

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:23 AM

Hartnell looked good with the Sedins in the All Star Game. Sure it's just an ASG, but it's something and he's a guy that could protect the Sedins as well.

I would say Hartnell and Coburn for Booth and Ballard. Both teams need a shake-up. Booth would look good with the Flyers with his style of play and could benefit from the playmaking of Giroux and Briere.

I don't think guys like Couturier or the Schenn's would be the pieces they want to move. Even Simmonds, as he is like their Hansen, where he has more value to his team than he would in a trade.

Hartnell's contract is really bad though. It lasts till 2019.

CanucksvsBruinsPollsmall-1.jpgRogerNeilsonSmall.jpgSig too big. 

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.