The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks Aggressively Pursuing Trade (Interested in Steve Ott & Derek Roy)

No way will the Sabres trade Ott. If we start picking up players and trading them soon after we get them then no player will ever want to even get near the organization. To be honest I've been saying all year that with Ott now on the team, Patrick Kaleta's days are numbered here in Buffalo.

Also, there was some rumbling going around here in Buffalo that Derek Roy was/is very "gun shy". Supposedly during a multi-player scrum he once said something to the effect of, "it's just a game guys". I personally find it a very difficult story to believe, but the locker room and the coaches weren't happy with Roy even before he was traded.

No way will the Sabres trade Ott. If we start picking up players and trading them soon after we get them then no player will ever want to even get near the organization. To be honest I've been saying all year that with Ott now on the team, Patrick Kaleta's days are numbered here in Buffalo.

Also, there was some rumbling going around here in Buffalo that Derek Roy was/is very "gun shy". Supposedly during a multi-player scrum he once said something to the effect of, "it's just a game guys". I personally find it a very difficult story to believe, but the locker room and the coaches weren't happy with Roy even before he was traded.

It's nice to hear that Gillis has been working the phones and trying to improve the team. That being said, I don't see the Sabres moving Ott.

Hopefully something good comes of Gillis working the phones though. It'll be interesting to see what moves he makes, if he makes any at all.

As I said last year, getting him would solidify our lineup.

We need good depth guys on the team, and as someone mentioned in another thread, Lapierre and Higgins were depth guys in our cup run, by getting Ott we force one of Higgins, Kassian, Booth, or Hansen down to the fourth line, making it a huge threat.

If the Canucks could get Roy for a pick (4th?) or a prospect then he'd likely be great for a rental. I don't see him being around for next season.

Ott would be the preferred choice of the two. Roy is a top-6 six guy, but Ott is the 3C which this team needs. His style of play makes him that much more valuable. Further, he has one year left on his current deal.

This being said, I don't see either of them coming here. The asking price for them will likely be a bit too high.

Potential deal:

To Dallas: Schroeder

To Vancouver: Roy, pick (>3rd?)

This gets the Canucks a fairly good rental center for the playoffs, and a pick. They lose Schroeder, which sucks.

regards,

G.

Archived