158 replies to this topic

#31 missioncanucksfan

missioncanucksfan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:43 PM

no cap space available for a small, injury-prone, overpriced, one-dimensional winger that doesn't seem to care.

As opposed to sitting in the press-box, injury prone, one empty net goal..... For a grand total of 9million? Heck....Gaborik will also save us 1.5 mil for cap space..... How much does Boyle make? Room that big center with the new 6'6" drink of water we just picked up today.

Low and behold.... Glass Booth injured again... We are on the hook for this fragile player for 3 more years..... Great pro scouting in that on Gillis

Edited by missioncanucksfan, 16 March 2013 - 07:50 PM.

#32 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,725 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:02 PM

Give them booth

#33 tas

tas

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,609 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:06 PM

As opposed to sitting in the press-box, injury prone, one empty net goal..... For a grand total of 9million? Heck....Gaborik will also save us 1.5 mil for cap space..... How much does Boyle make? Room that big center with the new 6'6" drink of water we just picked up today.

Low and behold.... Glass Booth injured again... We are on the hook for this fragile player for 3 more years..... Great pro scouting in that on Gillis

yet you'd rather have $7.5 mil of cap space tied up in a constantly injured player than $4.2?

#34 missioncanucksfan

missioncanucksfan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:17 PM

yet you'd rather have $7.5 mil of cap space tied up in a constantly injured player than $4.2?

For THAT particular player? In a heartbeat.... Worth every penny. This guy actually KNOWS how to score goals, and yes, he is worth 2current Booths. And the other 4.5 sitting in pressbox doing nothinnnnn. And for those payin attention, Gabby had been healthy the past few years.

#35 tas

tas

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,609 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

For THAT particular player? In a heartbeat.... Worth every penny. This guy actually KNOWS how to score goals, and yes, he is worth 2current Booths. And the other 4.5 sitting in pressbox doing nothinnnnn. And for those payin attention, Gabby had been healthy the past few years.

17 points in 27 games and too small and soft to perform in the playoffs (35 points in 54 games) is worth $7.5 mil to you?

i'm the furthest thing from a david booth supporter but i'd certainly rather spend 4.2 on a guy who actually has a consistent effort level and can at least hit and forecheck when he isn't scoring.

#36 missioncanucksfan

missioncanucksfan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:01 PM

17 points in 27 games and too small and soft to perform in the playoffs (35 points in 54 games) is worth $7.5 mil to you?

i'm the furthest thing from a david booth supporter but i'd certainly rather spend 4.2 on a guy who actually has a consistent effort level and can at least hit and forecheck when he isn't scoring.

I see your point and will raise you the fact that he isnt getting paid to hit/forecheck and all the defensive stats you figure he is supposed to do. He pops in 40+ along with 300 shots on net.... Tells me he jumps on loose pucks, back checks, and also goes into dirty areas..... Oh and he is usually an average +10 so he isnt sooooo much a liability.....u want him to fight n block shots too?

#37 tas

tas

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,609 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:07 PM

I see your point and will raise you the fact that he isnt getting paid to hit/forecheck and all the defensive stats you figure he is supposed to do. He pops in 40+ along with 300 shots on net.... Tells me he jumps on loose pucks, back checks, and also goes into dirty areas..... Oh and he is usually an average +10 so he isnt sooooo much a liability.....u want him to fight n block shots too?

i want him to earn his paycheck, and the guy has one more point than jannik hansen in one more game played while earning 20% more than the sedins.

#38 PlayStation

PlayStation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,240 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:08 PM

Do not touch the damn first rounder!
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#39 missioncanucksfan

missioncanucksfan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:18 PM

i want him to earn his paycheck, and the guy has one more point than jannik hansen in one more game played while earning 20% more than the sedins.

Ok, now you're trying to beat me with the stats book.... Richards has been supplanted to the 2nd line and has a whopping 13 points give or take 3..... Nash only has 20 something.... Anyone on this site would drool and pre-plan the parade route having a line of Nash, Richards and Gaborik.....with an allstar keeper in Lundquist. Ask yourself why hasnt this come to fruition yet? The whole Rags team is messing the bed and The Fonz is getting tuned out game after game. The Rags as a whole need a new coach.... One who knows how to use the horses he has.

Back to the whole start of this thread..... I didnt see the HNIC segment so i cant quote them.... But the proposal is Ballad/Booth/1st for Gaborik..... I am seriously considering this. This team needs a spark or exciting player in the most desperate way. Gaborik clearly provides that

Edited by missioncanucksfan, 16 March 2013 - 09:22 PM.

#40 tas

tas

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,609 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:24 PM

Ok, now you're trying to beat me with the stats book.... Richards has been supplanted to the 2nd line and has a whopping 13 points give or take 3..... Nash only has 20 something.... Anyone on this site would drool and pre-plan the parade route having a line of Nash, Richards and Gaborik.....with an allstar keeper in Lundquist. Ask yourself why hasnt this come to fruition yet? The while Rags team is measing the bed and The Fonz is getting tuned out game after game. The Rags as a whole need a new coach.... One who knows how to use the horses he has.

Back to the whole start of this thread..... I didnt see the HNIC segment so i cant quote them.... But the proposal is Ballad/Booth/1st for Gaborik..... I am seriously considering this. This team needs a spark or exciting player in the most desperate way. Gaborik clearly provides that

i actually said at the time of the rick nash trade that the rangers would be worse instead of better. sather has been trying that same "buy up the superstars" method since the turn of the century and that dinosaur doesn't learn from his mistakes.

#41 missioncanucksfan

missioncanucksfan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:37 PM

i actually said at the time of the rick nash trade that the rangers would be worse instead of better. sather has been trying that same "buy up the superstars" method since the turn of the century and that dinosaur doesn't learn from his mistakes.

Look, alot of me agree's with u, but after watching pathetic power play after pathetic power play, it would be nice to have a guy who shoots the puck. That 5 on 3 was brutal

The Rags have an awesome team, they just need a coach that knows how to utilize it. Fonzie is clearly done

Edited by missioncanucksfan, 16 March 2013 - 09:38 PM.

#42 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:26 AM

No thanks, and it isn't likely anyways.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#43 prana16

prana16

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:25 AM

Rather have two 3 million dollar wingers that can pot 15-25 and have 2 sets of groins and two sets of acl's to rely on rather than stick all that money and caphit on a guy that is always out of the lineup, is over 30 and isn't scoring at a pace much different than guys like raymond who are younger and cheaper.. give me 2 raymonds and keep your gaborik please.

#44 missioncanucksfan

missioncanucksfan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:59 AM

Rather have two 3 million dollar wingers that can pot 15-25 and have 2 sets of groins and two sets of acl's to rely on rather than stick all that money and caphit on a guy that is always out of the lineup, is over 30 and isn't scoring at a pace much different than guys like raymond who are younger and cheaper.. give me 2 raymonds and keep your gaborik please.

Sighhhhh.... Gaborik and his half groin half acl still potted in 40+ goals along with +15 and 270+shots....tht stuff still comes natural to this guy and I bet ya if he did come to town, YOU and the rest of this board would be all over it.

Again, everyone on the Rangers is messing the bed, including Richards, Nash and Lundquist who are all quality, reliable players you wouldnt expect to be slacking this year.

Again.... The proposal to START this thread was Booth/Ballard and 1st. The sraft pick is where i draw the line... Maybe a 2nd and prospect. We have wasted 2nd's in dumber trades...... I have to say yes to this proposal

Gaborik with the twins, or with Kesler n Higgins or Raymond and u now have 2 good lines

#45 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:08 AM

Realistically I doubt the Canucks have the right pieces to trade for him, but I have to disagree with most of the opposition in this thread.

The two major Canucks problems in the playoffs have been secondary scoring & toughness. And now the powerplay is completely unreliable.

Gaborik would be able to fix 2/3 of those problems as well as anybody in the league.

Sure, he has a high cap hit, but you have to take some risks. The Sedins probably have this year and then 1 or 2 more where they can be contenders as 1st liners. If NYR is willing to take on Ballard's cap hit - a player who isn't playing much of a role here anyway, then I think GMMG should consider it.. Adding Gaborik and a hopefully healthy Kesler for a playoff run would be great.

If the Canucks could somehow add a 3rd line center for a goalie (Ott? Goc? Matthias?? etc) and Gaborik this team could be pretty stacked in theory...

Schroeder + Ballard + a 1st in 2014 for Gaborik + a 4th?

Plus looking at the Rags, they probably could use Ballard & waive Hamrlik.. look at Hamrlik's ice time since going over:

1st game: 15 minutes
2nd game: 7 minutes
3rd game: 5 minutes
4th game: 11 minutes

0 points, -2...

#46 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:10 AM

Sighhhhh.... Gaborik and his half groin half acl still potted in 40+ goals along with +15 and 270+shots....tht stuff still comes natural to this guy and I bet ya if he did come to town, YOU and the rest of this board would be all over it.

Again, everyone on the Rangers is messing the bed, including Richards, Nash and Lundquist who are all quality, reliable players you wouldnt expect to be slacking this year.

Again.... The proposal to START this thread was Booth/Ballard and 1st. The sraft pick is where i draw the line... Maybe a 2nd and prospect. We have wasted 2nd's in dumber trades...... I have to say yes to this proposal

Gaborik with the twins, or with Kesler n Higgins or Raymond and u now have 2 good lines

Agreed.

#47 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:14 AM

Don't we have enough players with high cap hits who float defensively and do not play with any heart at all?

Who exactly are you talking about?
Posted Image

#48 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:23 AM

I have a lot of respect for Gaborik but my answer would be no.

You can't guarantee a full lineup when the playoffs start. But if we have it, we are better off adding a playmaking centre, and Schneider can be fetched for a younger and healthier (though probably not as accomplished) sniper.
Posted Image

#49 Gross-Misconduct

Gross-Misconduct

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:38 AM

no cap space available for a small, injury-prone, overpriced, one-dimensional winger that doesn't seem to care.

^^ This ^^
Posted Image

#50 Mike Vanderhoek

Mike Vanderhoek

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,006 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:00 AM

The Rangers have Carl Hagelin, Derek Stepan, and Ryan Mcdonagh all to resign as rfa's, not to mention they will need to find a defenseman this offseason as well. Meaning a player earning $ 7.5 million for one more season after this may severley interfere with those possible resignings.

There has been talk out of New York that the Rangers also are not very happy with Gaborik. Would a change to Vancouver playing with the Sedins be a good fit ? He is a game breaker, is an elite passer, playmaker, shooter. Have the Sedin's played with a player that good yet ? No.

His value is down right now, this is the best possible time to lure him away from New York. His asking price likely wouldn't get lower and the Rangers need another dman which Vancouver has too many of. A package not likely to hurt the Canucks roster could potentially be assembled to add Gaborik.
Posted Image

#51 prana16

prana16

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:06 AM

Sigh.. and he doesn't do that every year because he's only played one full season in 12 FLIPPIN YEARS.. Hansen, Raymond and Higgins all have just about the same goal totals for a fraction of the cost and a lot more reliability both health wise and defensively. We already Have serious injury and reliability issues in our top 6 with kesler and booth. Gaborik may be a great player.. but if you can't depend on him to be there its a waste of 7 million dollars. The risk to reward is not there when more reliable players are producing at the same pace. The teams money and cap is better spent elsewhere.
And why oh why would NY take injured booth at 4 mill long term and scratched ballard at 4 mill long term, neither of which have been producing when the only reason to get rid of gaborik is his lack of production, salary and health

#52 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,321 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:06 AM

I wonder how Rick Nash enjoys winning now......oh nvm CBJ has the same number of points as the Rangers.

I guess the rebuild in Columbus is as good as the powerhouse rangers.

Subbancopy.jpg

#53 Machine Gun Kelly

Machine Gun Kelly

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:11 AM

Gaborik is essentially an Eastern Conference player, he will get roughed up back in the west
Posted Image

#54 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,032 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:16 AM

Gillis wouldn't be doing his job if he wasn't asking about the availability of star players. Doesn't mean he's gonna pull the trigger.
Posted Image

Previously:
6OH!4, Doug The Thug Glatt

#55 Mike Vanderhoek

Mike Vanderhoek

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,006 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:29 AM

After some early success individually for Booth in Florida, it would have been conceivable that after his concussion he could very well return to the same level. He also has not been relied upon like in Florida, but been an option to play top minutes if need be. So there is a difference in role he plays for sure that has also played a role in his diminished production, etc.In my opinion it could have gone either way when Vancouver got Booth, I am not a fan of his but the potential was there for a good thing in Vancouver. Can't fault GMMG on that.
Posted Image

#56 missioncanucksfan

missioncanucksfan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:43 AM

Sigh.. and he doesn't do that every year because he's only played one full season in 12 FLIPPIN YEARS.. Hansen, Raymond and Higgins all have just about the same goal totals for a fraction of the cost and a lot more reliability both health wise and defensively. We already Have serious injury and reliability issues in our top 6 with kesler and booth. Gaborik may be a great player.. but if you can't depend on him to be there its a waste of 7 million dollars. The risk to reward is not tOhere when more reliable players are producing at the same pace. The teams money and cap is better spent elsewhere.
And why oh why would NY take injured booth at 4 mill long term and scratched ballard at 4 mill long term, neither of which have been producing when the only reason to get rid of gaborik is his lack of production, salary and health

Ok.... Now you are talking about 3 completely different types of players all together. Higgins and Hansen.... Love their meat n potato's work ethics but my gawd..... Hansen on a break away or penalty shot attempt is a complete waste of a break away or penalty shot attempt. I was waiting for Howard to pump 5 push-ups after Hansens attempt. He has the same low wrister everytime. Higgins and Handen are both muckers and 3rd liners at best and will never compare to Gaborik just for those reasons. Raymond is comparable inly for the fact he can skate like the wind. He still brings it up ice and when he actually gets it into the offensive zone, is like a deer in headlights as to what to do with it. Btw....i am also curious as to what MayRay will command come july 1st.

Also for the record..... All above mentioned players are close to the same age as Gaborik..... And none still hold his jock strap when it comes to what he gets paid to do.

You made a point that you rather pay 2 players 3-4 mil each for what Gaborik does. What you are missing is what would it hurt to have Gaborik instead of 2 yanks making 4.2 each and are complete non factors on this team.

Once again after 3 times explaining this to you.....

The starting proposal for this threat was Ballard/Booth and high pick for Gaborik.

Doesnt mean this is a done deal by far..... Am sure Slats asks for alot different players then these 2 who are still in the books for 2-3 years after this..... Gaborik is still with us for 1 more year

Edited by missioncanucksfan, 17 March 2013 - 12:01 PM.

#57 Goal:thecup

Goal:thecup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

Gillis wouldn't be doing his job if he wasn't asking about the availability of star players. Doesn't mean he's gonna pull the trigger.

Exactly.

The fact that there have been very few trades at all this year speaks to the difficulties therein.

Perhaps we could trade for an all-star talent (with flaws) like Gaborik without giving up too much in player, prospect, and pick assets.

If it is so difficult due to the reduced cap next year, length of contracts, et cetera, perhaps big contracts for stars are now things GMs want to get rid of.

So if we were to take Gaborik off their hands, they may be so relieved they would not need that much in return.

(Also, terrible thought that it is, if Gabby was injured long-term, it would free up cap room.)

#58 missioncanucksfan

missioncanucksfan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

There is also a reason Malhotra hasnt been placed on ltir....2.5 is a nice cushion. Perhaps booth goes there as well.... Now we are at 6.75.

#59 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:09 PM

please no
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#60 MayRayDown

MayRayDown

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

Gaborik is essentially an Eastern Conference player, he will get roughed up back in the west

You do know he played for Minnesota Wild right? and performed well there

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.