The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What to do with Kesler...

Outsiders

right now, without him, we suck. and with him playing injured, we sucked

we've sucked since he got injured the game before the scf (talk about a curse)

there is no replacement - he comes back and plays like a player in his prime, and we can compete for the cup in the next few years, or we need to rebuild. we don't have the parts to trade for a legit top line center / 2nd line center.

he was the whole reason the team did well, imho. the team followed him.

He broke his foot this time, that's just bad luck. Players break stuff blocking shots all the time, it can happen to anyone. Look at it this way this just gives his serious injury more time to rest. Who knows, maybe this foot break prolongs his career on that one fact alone.

I dunno if gillis hits a home run with this goalie trade and gets us a future star centreman, we can probably afford to trade him to Detroit in a couple years for a hefty package... Could go for a first and prospect like the staal deal.

KESLER HAS A NO TRADE CLAUSE!!! Can we please stop with the stupid knee jerk reactions of trading him every three seconds (especially since he is hurt) honestly its getting rather annoying.

I never said he was getting traded did .. I said and I quote

Is Kesler's time in Vancouver over?

Kesler has been hurt now for a along time. He cant seem to stay healthy. Should we trade him and get a great centre that can actually stay healthy and can compete night in and night out. Tell me what you think.

KESLER HAS A NO TRADE CLAUSE!!! Can we please stop with the stupid knee jerk reactions of trading him every three seconds (especially since he is hurt) honestly its getting rather annoying.

I never said he was getting traded did .. I said and I quote

Is Kesler's time in Vancouver over?

Kesler has been hurt now for a along time. He cant seem to stay healthy. Should we trade him and get a great centre that can actually stay healthy and can compete night in and night out. Tell me what you think.

Id float his name in the offseason to see whats out there... why not? I really like Kesler, but not as a top 6 center... He has and will always play better with grinders... Hes a franchise 3rd line center with PP prowess. He's an extremely valueable piece, but he had some injury issues, and it might just be better to cut bait while his value is still there alla Linden and Bertuzzi....

Kesler has the ability to dominate and completely control the flow of a game, if not an entire playoff series. He made Shea Weber look like he was standing still many times during the 2011 series against Nashville.

The only other Canucks to dominate like that are the Sedins and Luongo. This team still has the ability to win it all, at some point, with those key pieces in play.

So no, I wouldn't trade away a Selke winning forward.

I only *wish* we could trade Kesler!

Yeah, yeah, heard it all before... Selke winner (two years ago), defensive-forward (who had a career year two seasons ago with a +24, and otherwise has been an average +1 to okay +11), team beast (when he's not diving during a game or after a game pretending not to whine about injuries being no-excuse), yadda, yadda, yadda.

For all the good that Kesler does bring to the Canucks, his attitude (and resulting antics, on and off the ice) is a distraction no team needs.

And frankly, to be fair - if not for the Kesler love-fest, Canucks mgmt may have been *forced* to keep some of the prospects like Grabner and Hodgson. Instead, as it is, the talent pool who should be challenging, and one day replacing the retired Sedins, are gone. The next generation is either developing elsewhere, or the picks were traded away altogether, leaving the Canucks without much long-term depth.

So much for emulating how Detroit manages a club that always seems to have solid prospects turning into stars as the old stars fade. It was a good speech from MG when he used to talk about how he was building the Canucks for the future, but like many a politician, he clearly speaks better than he delivers.

If other teams are interested in oft-injured and antic-prone Kesler, I'd vote (if I had a vote, lol) to trade him for whatever best combination of prospects and 1st/2nd round picks Canucks can get. Fill in the short term with best available via trade, and hope the Sedins can hold on a good 2-3 years while the youth corps is rebuilt.

I only *wish* we could trade Kesler!

Yeah, yeah, heard it all before... Selke winner (two years ago), defensive-forward (who had a career year two seasons ago with a +24, and otherwise has been an average +1 to okay +11), team beast (when he's not diving during a game or after a game pretending not to whine about injuries being no-excuse), yadda, yadda, yadda.

For all the good that Kesler does bring to the Canucks, his attitude (and resulting antics, on and off the ice) is a distraction no team needs.

And frankly, to be fair - if not for the Kesler love-fest, Canucks mgmt may have been *forced* to keep some of the prospects like Grabner and Hodgson. Instead, as it is, the talent pool who should be challenging, and one day replacing the retired Sedins, are gone. The next generation is either developing elsewhere, or the picks were traded away altogether, leaving the Canucks without much long-term depth.

So much for emulating how Detroit manages a club that always seems to have solid prospects turning into stars as the old stars fade. It was a good speech from MG when he used to talk about how he was building the Canucks for the future, but like many a politician, he clearly speaks better than he delivers.

If other teams are interested in oft-injured and antic-prone Kesler, I'd vote (if I had a vote, lol) to trade him for whatever best combination of prospects and 1st/2nd round picks Canucks can get. Fill in the short term with best available via trade, and hope the Sedins can hold on a good 2-3 years while the youth corps is rebuilt.

Kesler has the ability to dominate and completely control the flow of a game, if not an entire playoff series. He made Shea Weber look like he was standing still many times during the 2011 series against Nashville.

The only other Canucks to dominate like that are the Sedins and Luongo. This team still has the ability to win it all, at some point, with those key pieces in play.

So no, I wouldn't trade away a Selke winning forward.

Archived