The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Derek Roy to VAN

Roy is a lot stronger on the defensive side than Cody Hodgson, definitely a lot skilled. So no, CoHo fans, can't compare that.

To those who wanna bash about trading Connauton away, this guy has fell in our prospects ladder. 2nd top dmen after corrado is andersson now. connauton gave up a lot of his offensive abilities to be a player who can play two way just so he can make the big league team but even in his own words this veteran defensemen group is too hard to break into

No offence but thank god you are not the GM then. We are tied with Minny in points and on the top half of a playoff spot. That is with a lot of injuries and forcing players (rookies included) to play roles that they are not ready for. We have not been the best team, but as long as we are in a playoff spot we shouldn't even think about giving up. Kesler is said to be on his way back soon and with this addition the team starts to look a lot better and a bit more threatening. Hopefully we can now have a few more scoring chances as the opposition may have to worry about 2 line instead of just shutting down the Sedins.....

Well I'm disappointed.

I just don't see how it makes sense. The guy's a f-------g midget! I thought Gillis said we were getting BIGGER.

Also how do you justify giving away one of the hardest shots and biggest guys in the AHL AND a 2nd for what is basically a rental when Chicago gave a 4th for Handzus?

I know I wanted him to make a move but I didn't want him chuck resources away for a guy the other team didn't want in the first place.............AND he wants a damn fortune probably to stay.

I hope we can keep him. They've been talking on TV recently about how he wants a large payday next year, but hopefully he enjoys playing here and we can work out a deal. Roy would fix a lot of our problems.

In the last 20 years the only second round picks by the Canucks to make the NHL are Artem Chubarov and Mason Raymond. Connauton's play dipped this year. Last season he was a legit NHL prospect but now he looks like a cup of tea player at best.

Our last four 2nd round picks have struggled in the AHL. Heck, they have only combined for 21 career regular season goals between the four of them, most of those coming from Rodin who hasn't exactly lit it up (13 in 104 games).

It sucks to see us trade picks when our prospect cupboard is so empty but unlike Rucinsky, Smolinski, Sopel and Carney, Roy is a difference maker - not a plug.

Best part about this deal? I have Roy in my fantasy pool :P.

But great deal all in all. The 2nd is a non factor in this situation. Luongo trade will off-set it. We still have our 1st, and gained a legitimate 2C. Last year Gaustad (a solid 3C in his own right) fetched a 1st.

Kind of sad to see KConn go, but we're pretty set on the club with Hammer, Bieksa, Edler and Garrison all locked up long term.

I really don't understand a comment like that. We have lost a 2nd for a rental when we could have picked up 2 with the Lu deal and enjoyed some variation in a deep draft. It's a waste........you can't justify a waste by saying you get it back by giving something else away.

I'm not saying he is a bad player but he is small AND he will want too much to re-sign. It's a bust and a total loss of focus once again by Gillis.

Gee, you think the fact that Chicago only gave up a 4th for Handzus might have something to do with the fact that he has 2 friggin' points in 28 games this season? I dunno, just a thought. Believe it or not, not all rentals are made equal.

Some of you are just ridiculous. Absolutely everyone agreed yesterday that if we wanted any success this season, we needed to trade for a centre at the deadline. So Gillis doesn't just go out and trade for a scrub like Handzus, he actually trades for a legit top 6 centre who is on pace for 60+ points this season (and has been a 80 point player in the past), and really doesn't give up THAT much to get him. And people still cry foul.

Kevin Connauton sucks at playing defence. Yes, his upside is exciting, but he's still far, far away from being an NHL player and it's becoming apparent that he may never make that jump. The 2nd rounder is valuable, but draft picks will be replenished in the eventual Luongo trade this summer, and you do actually have to give something to get something.

This Roy trade completely changes the current dynamic of our team for the better. Remember, he wasn't even healthy at the beginning of the season due to offseason shoulder surgery, and has only really started to show his capabilities in the past weeks. Despite this, he's still on pace for 60 points. I believe he has like 7 points in his last 5 games or something, and said this is the first time all season that he's felt truly healthy. This guy is a very good player, and we needed a very good player if we were gonna go anywhere this season.

Archived