The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why the Vancouver Canucks will not get past more than 2 rounds.

ember

I remember that amazing trade Calgary just made....uh... It was iginla for....uhhh..........

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... I think they traded him for....uhhhhhhh

I think that guys name was......uhhhhhh

Well, anyways, I can't remember who they....got....right now, but they did make another trade...

Remember that great defenceman they had, that boumeester guy.... Ya,they traded him away for.....uhhhhhhh

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

I think they got a couple of guys actually........ummmm....can't......remember......who......hmmmm

Uhhhhhhhh..... Maybe.......uhhhhhhh

Maybe a cash deal????

I'm so fricken' tired of everyone crying about the "toughness"

Skill > all. That's it buddy. Stop being so pessimistic, go cheer for the Penguins then. Oh wait, they're arguably the "least tough" team in the NHL. Guess they won't be getting past the 2nd round.

Stupid thread.

I don't know what the big deal is, guys. I don't think the Canucks will make it past round 2 either. I'm still a fan.

If I'm wrong, I'll be happy to take a serving of crow from everyone who maintains they'll do better. Do I feel like they COULD get past round 2? Of course. On paper this roster is good enough to win it all. I just don't predict them doing any better.

I never said they were superior. In individual talent, Canucks are among tops in the NHL. But as a whole unit, those teams D-core work together better.

Defense first defenseman is the way to go.

I've said in the thread, if Garrison/Tanev/Hamhuis keep up there play, and Bieksa goes to 2011/12 form, then the D-core will work much better together. Edler playing better in his own end is a bonus. You need that one offensive producer in the back end.

I'm going to leave it at this. Every team has its issues. Canucks lack toughness. Simple as that. You can put it either way. Size/physicality wise and toughness in terms of enduring pain. DeNiro showed us all the injured Canucks. Why didn't the Bruins have so many injuries? Luck maybe, but we have some injury prone guys here.

The addition of Roy can offset that; 3 scoring lines. Not many teams have that. You shutdown Sedins with your top pair, and maybe Kesler with the second, but Roy's line will get your third pairing.

The defense is good, when its playing to its top potential, and we haven't seen it. Chicago's defense is playing to its potential and so is Anaheims.

I'm so fricken' tired of everyone crying about the "toughness"

Skill > all. That's it buddy. Stop being so pessimistic, go cheer for the Penguins then. Oh wait, they're arguably the "least tough" team in the NHL. Guess they won't be getting past the 2nd round.

Stupid thread.

I'm going to leave it at this. Every team has its issues. Canucks lack toughness. Simple as that. You can put it either way. Size/physicality wise and toughness in terms of enduring pain. DeNiro showed us all the injured Canucks. Why didn't the Bruins have so many injuries? Luck maybe, but we have some injury prone guys.

Hate to say it everyone but the OP is bang on with everything he said.

Skill alone does not win Cups, and there is no better example than the Canucks getting blown out of the water against Boston. The only reason that series was close was Luongo - we should of had our asses swept away.

The big keys to winning a Cup are as follows:

1) Depth at center:we have it now, one of the best in the league with Henrik, Kesler, Roy and Lapierre. Best 3rd line center in the NHL by a long shot, no one else comes remotely close

2) 3rd and 4th liners who can score 10-20 goals: we have that with Raymond/Hansen/Higgins/Kassian in our middle-6

3) Size up front: we don't have it. Kassian is our only big forward. We have no giants on this team let alone skilled giants.

4) A top-5 NHL defenceman: we don't have one. Edler should have been that guy but is having a dreadful season, as is Hamhuis. Our best D-man right now is probably Garrison and he's far from the top-10. We don't have a Norris-worthy defenceman on this blueline.

5) Strong special teams: we don't have them now, but they could light it up in the playoffs

6) Solid goaltending: we definately have that.

7) Good coaching: we don't have it. AV is a top-10 NHL coach, but he's not good at adapting to the opposition. Ever since our 2011 run, AV has put too much trust and faith into his system, which is failing this team now

Simply put, we are a deeper team than the one in 2011 but nowhere near as skilled, and nowhere near as tough as the last 3 Cup winners. The consistent Canucks hitters up front are Burrows (barely), Kesler (when healthy, rarely), Booth (great hitter but not healthy), Higgins (great hitter), Kassian (great hitter) and Lapierre. When you compare the damage our forwards can do to opposing team's defencemen to that of the beasts in the league like the Anaheim forwards (Perry, Ryan, Getzlaf are all much bigger and cause far more pain than our smaller forwards) and Kings forwards, we don't make a dent.

Meanwhile, our defencemen aren't playing very physically right now. Bieksa is a small hitter who rarely drops someone. Garrison doesn't throw big painful hits but plays hard in front of our net (key in the playoffs). Hamhuis hasn't thrown a decent hit since he was injured by Lucic. Edler forgot how to drop guys completely (I feel he will pick this up again in the playoffs though). So that leaves our only consistent hitter to be Alberts, who is out of the lineup half the time. Compare this to the beastly defences of the Bruins, Kings (Mitchell and Greene dominated teams last playoffs) and Anaheim (Beauchemin and Souray are going to be a force this playoffs). Our forwards are going to get crushed by those big D men, and our defencemen aren't going to leave a scratch on their huge forwards.

Over 7 games, these matchups are essential and right now we don't have an upper hand. Our only main advantages over every other team in the league is our depth at center and depth in net, so lets hope that's enough to carry us. I don't like our chances against a bigger, more physical but still skilled team like Anaheim though.

Edler is garbage

You spelled "this thread" wrong.

I, for one, don't have a crystal ball but know that this team is as capable as any.

What other team has two #1 goaltenders, just in case? Sedins are finding their groove again. The team HAS shown the pushback that'll be required and I doubt, very much, that players on the other goonsquads will get away with the blatant dirty plays that they have in the past....they have been tightening up (if in an inconsistent way). Burr has been a workhorse. Higgy, Hansen, Raymond. Kes'll be back soon.

I'll revisit you later on this.... ;)

The 2011 Canucks were probably the most skilled team to play in the NHL in decades, yet they were trounced by a team built on size. Not one Bruin had points in the 70's all season long, but they had enough skill to finish us off with ease.

Skill is great, but toughness is going to trump it every time. Simply, a good defence beats a good offence. You can't have a good offence without skill, but you can't have a good defence without toughness and size. That's all it boils down to. The 2013 Cup winner will have one of the best defensive systems in the league, and skill to complement it.

We didn't have the skill-size combination right in 2011 and we definately don't right now. Teams like the Kings, Bruins, Penguins (after their acquisitions), Ducks and Rangers have this down-pat. Expect the Cup to go to a team like them, unless another team's goalie can trump everyone else's skill and size...

It's hard to say,I'm skeptical they have the horses to do it but you can't really judge the team until the first playoff game.Players like Edler and Hamhuis start trying to hammer the other teams forwards for example which they seldom do In the regular season.So who knows who else will raise their game .

The Canucks have fought more than the Boston Bruins, Anaheim Ducks, Chicago Blackhawks, Pittsburgh Penguins, LA Kings, and SJ Sharks (to name a few).

The only playoff team that has fought more than the Canucks is the Toronto Maple Leafs.

I'm not saying that fighting=success, but if the OP is going to say the Canucks lack toughness, at least rely on a more objective measure, rather than your impression of 6 games you've seen from your parent's basement in Red Deer.

Archived