The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

47 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

If they're like any other pair working out with a little PDA, why does it matter if they're a couple?

I'd much rather work out near a couple than 2 "bros" 

Because they're not really. I've personally never seen a workout couple do anything other than waste their time and anybody else who wants to use the squat rack.

1 hour ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Because they're not really. I've personally never seen a workout couple do anything other than waste their time and anybody else who wants to use the squat rack.

The amount of "bros" that waste time at the squat rack is laughable. One guy with a bar on his back and 3 guys on either side supporting the weight as he does a quarter range rep down and up and they all celebrate. 

Both the couples and the bros are so painful to watch/wait for. The couples always come up with these extremely lengthily routines of quarter squats, split squats, partial deadlifts, etc...

The bros not only take forever to get through their sets of overly heavy squats, but will do things like bicep curl in the squat rack....

I'm fortunate enough to have a gym with a squat rack in my building, that is almost always free. Whenever I have to break out my Steve Nash pass, I pretty much lose my mind. 

1 hour ago, NucksPatsFan said:

The amount of "bros" that waste time at the squat rack is laughable. One guy with a bar on his back and 3 guys on either side supporting the weight as he does a quarter range rep down and up and they all celebrate. 

I can only recall ever ever seen an instance of that once in my 8 years, but the guy had his girlfriend filming his quarter rep 3 plate squat. Hopefully he didn't post it on social media and get laughed at.

1 hour ago, taxi said:

Both the couples and the bros are so painful to watch/wait for. The couples always come up with these extremely lengthily routines of quarter squats, split squats, partial deadlifts, etc...

The bros not only take forever to get through their sets of overly heavy squats, but will do things like bicep curl in the squat rack....

I'm fortunate enough to have a gym with a squat rack in my building, that is almost always free. Whenever I have to break out my Steve Nash pass, I pretty much lose my mind. 

My gym has 7 squat racks so luckily I rarely have this problem. Except for when I'm out of town for work and use a Club 16 3 day free trial or something

19 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

My gym has 7 squat racks so luckily I rarely have this problem. Except for when I'm out of town for work and use a Club 16 3 day free trial or something

You are very lucky. The average gym in Vancouver proper has 2 squat racks. Ever since developing your "core" became all the rage, the wait times have been absurd. 

On 12/11/2018 at 9:42 AM, taxi said:

You are very lucky. The average gym in Vancouver proper has 2 squat racks. Ever since developing your "core" became all the rage, the wait times have been absurd. 

my gym has 1. waited a solid 5mins for a guy to do one set of 85lbs and spent a  couple minutes trying to take a selfie was terrible

9 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

My gym has 6 plus a squat stand. You guys are in tough. 

A major drawback of living in Vancouver proper is that the gyms have to cater to the average gym goer in order to be sustainable. Space is also at a premium. This means they can't be set up for lifters, which means less room for squat racks. The stairmaster crowd has now migrated over to the squat racks without any understanding of how to actually lift....very frustrating. You see people on the squat rack doing sets of sub 100lbs, which could easily be done with dumb bells, or people doing non-squat lifts in there. 

I desperately need to move into a place that is big enough to accommodate my own squat rack. Although my current apartment building has one in the basement that is usually empty. 

• Cheers 1

My 20 min workout is just pushups, stomach crunches, and twists in the sauna at 150F.  Reading this last page reinforces why I don't go to gyms.  I do swim but find it hard to get myself into the pool when it's so cold.  Down to 190ish lbs. and added a couple of notches in my belt. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

My 20 min workout is just pushups, stomach crunches, and twists in the sauna at 150F.  Reading this last page reinforces why I don't go to gyms.  I do swim but find it hard to get myself into the pool when it's so cold.  Down to 190ish lbs. and added a couple of notches in my belt. 

Yep, not a fan of public gyms. But if you want real bulk it's hard to get without the machines and a spotter now and again.

I'm similar to you, two days a week for full body in my little apartment gym which is always empty. Lots of pull ups, chin ups and push ups. Dumbbell presses, curls, flys, squats, lunges, shrugs, rows etc.. I also ' pay the toll' which means before every shower (1 or 2 per day) I have to do 40 stomach crunches, I've been doing this for years.

Run 6k 3-4 times a week. (tread mill, I'm a wuss in the cold too)

Heavy bag hanging in my front room to keep my striking not too laughable now that I don't compete anymore.

Have a new challenge though, gonna help a friend prep for a boxing match. Pad work and sparring, I am very excited. 

Good for you getting down to 190. I had a hard few years a while back and packed on weight due to drinking heavy.  I have gotten to a pretty cut 185 and never felt better. Keep focusing on the path not the destination was the thing for me. Consistency, even if you don't feel like it...at least do a little. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/2/2018 at 1:36 PM, HI5 said:

Figured out my new maintenance calories over the last few weeks of October..going into a 2 month lean bulk. Hoping to keep it limited to 10lb gain, tbh not sure how much of it will be muscle but we'll see..might be too short of a window.

What are your guys current gym goals right now?

Up 9lbs in 7weeks — definitely haven’t stuck to the  “lean bulk” calorie intake..:lol:

I’m at the gym, get a phone call from my dad cause he needs help moving some water tanks. Finish the workout and head over to meet him and his friend. The damn tanks were like 300lbs and his friend who is morbidly obese is just watching us load it into a truck. Once we’ve moved the four tanks his friend looks at me (I’m exhausted af and sweating like I’m on mdma) and says “when I was your age, I’d be able to toss one those things on my shoulders and carry it to a truck all by myself.” 

With New Years around the corner and gyms being flooded this time of year with all sorts of crazy people. How have you responded to the old guy who says “when I was your age...” or when a more “experienced” person tries to give you some faulty diet/lifting advice? 

1 hour ago, HI5 said:

I’m at the gym, get a phone call from my dad cause he needs help moving some water tanks. Finish the workout and head over to meet him and his friend. The damn tanks were like 300lbs and his friend who is morbidly obese is just watching us load it into a truck. Once we’ve moved the four tanks his friend looks at me (I’m exhausted af and sweating like I’m on mdma) and says “when I was your age, I’d be able to toss one those things on my shoulders and carry it to a truck all by myself.” 

With New Years around the corner and gyms being flooded this time of year with all sorts of crazy people. How have you responded to the old guy who says “when I was your age...” or when a more “experienced” person tries to give you some faulty diet/lifting advice? 

Try something like "When you can see your feet, I'll take your input".

• Haha 1