The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Do you ever spend a bit too long reading some of the posts on CDC and think...:angry:  " Yep, I now need to hit the gym " ?

Channel that anger bishop. 

Yes, I think to myself while I am posting my workout that I went ice skating, ran a mile, or went to the park, that my workout is not that intense which is not my thing for intensity.  I enjoy ice skating, going to the park, and running a mile, and I will probably do the Grouse Grind come late Spring. 

3 hours ago, brilac said:

Yes, I think to myself while I am posting my workout that I went ice skating, ran a mile, or went to the park, that my workout is not that intense which is not my thing for intensity.  I enjoy ice skating, going to the park, and running a mile, and I will probably do the Grouse Grind come late Spring. 

good stuff! consistency is the key, keep on doin'

I want to to do The Grind one day too.

Edited by bishopshodan

2 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

The Marathon runners I know have been training for the BMO marathon since December :/ 

Maybe not this year.  

I'm able to do 10km  in 60  min.  Still need to do a longer run.  Haven't found the time to go for 2hr run yet.

Edited by BPA

2 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Trying to find motivation go to today ... watching Creed 2 currently, hopefully there's a motivating training montage in here at some point in the next 90 minutes :lol:

I consider myself a pretty dedicated/self-motivated gym-goer but long weekends kinda suck the enthusiasm out of me for whatever reason. I have no issue getting up at 4AM to go before work during the week but a holiday Monday? I’d rather drink Trump’s bath water. 

I did drag myself to go today though. Bath water crisis averted. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

What the hell do you do for joint inflammation aside from not doing these things that can aggravate your joints? Proven methods people here have tried. My elbows are on and off even after using the fish oil supplement I posted in here many pages back. I only ever get it at times when I do exercises that isolate my triceps. 

I haven't been on this planet three decades yet and feel like I'm 80 sometimes in my elbows. It must be all of the mileage I've put on in the gym. Eventually it catches up..

Edited by Tortorella's Rant

1 hour ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

What the hell do you do for joint inflammation aside from not doing these things that can aggravate your joints? Proven methods people here have tried. My elbows are on and off even after using the fish oil supplement I posted in here many pages back. I only ever get it at times when I do exercises that isolate my triceps. 

I haven't been on this planet three decades yet and feel like I'm 80 sometimes in my elbows. It must be all of the mileage I've put on in the gym. Eventually it catches up..

@NucksPatsFan is probably the guy to ask. 

But if it’s tennis/golf elbow, from my understanding improving grip strength and doing some basic wrist curls and extensions with light light weight or resistance bands helps. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Funny the timing of this post as I’m going through a real struggle with a bad right elbow.  My dominant arm.  Since the first week of January I’ve had pain everyday all day.  Some days are just nagging and some are terrible.

right now I’m cycling through ice and heat treatment in the evenings and that is helped with inflammation.  I’m trying to stretch the forearm but it’s really difficult to do and it hurts to do it.

about 15 years ago I had the same issue only worse.  Fluid would build up at the bottom/top of the elbow and I couldn’t even perform a basic task like throwing a ball.  It felt like my wrist and hand would go along with it.

Anyway,  many of the “proven medical doctor” types would disagree but I was able to gain total pain free use from 2004 til now with acupuncture.  I went for six sessions and it went away.  Absolutely no issue until this year.

for context I’ve been using a hammer for a living and I’m now 43 this year.

ive now switched to a titanium hammer and this has also helped the day to day.

I will be going for more accu treatments I have just been extremely busy and I think this time it will require some time off to allow the treatments to expedite the healing.

If anyone has experience with this issue I’d be interested in hearing their story too.

Edited by riffraff

It's most likely tennis elbow that people are experiencing which is usually associated with the forearm.

There are forearm stretches that can be done that helps relieve the tension thats built up in the forearm tendons from the perpetual gripping that lifters do.

Also might help to wear an elbow brace for the extra support. 

Just my guess.  I will admit I am a few credits shy of my medical degree. 

On 2/27/2019 at 1:41 PM, Tortorella's Rant said:

I'm not the biggest fan of IMS (form of dry-needling, same needle as an acupuncture needle but where acupuncture follows predetermined pathways and the needles stay in you, IMS is a single needle that causes muscle twitches) as I believe too many therapists these days hide behind it and instead of using it to supplement a treatment, they make it the treatment, however it is an excellent modality for both the release and healing of tissues. 

Your Extensor digitorum communis needs to be IMS'd and possibly the three Extensor carpi's. 

Fish oils and maintaining strong forearm muscles are preventative measures, but once you actually experience the 'injury' they won't help too much before you either wait it out (could take weeks) with heat/ice or treat the soft tissues in the area followed by the corrective exercises. 

Don't worry, it's not age related it's overuse/improper use related.

Edited by NucksPatsFan

On 2/28/2019 at 6:49 AM, riffraff said:

Funny the timing of this post as I’m going through a real struggle with a bad right elbow.  My dominant arm.  Since the first week of January I’ve had pain everyday all day.  Some days are just nagging and some are terrible.

right now I’m cycling through ice and heat treatment in the evenings and that is helped with inflammation.  I’m trying to stretch the forearm but it’s really difficult to do and it hurts to do it.

about 15 years ago I had the same issue only worse.  Fluid would build up at the bottom/top of the elbow and I couldn’t even perform a basic task like throwing a ball.  It felt like my wrist and hand would go along with it.

Anyway,  many of the “proven medical doctor” types would disagree but I was able to gain total pain free use from 2004 til now with acupuncture.  I went for six sessions and it went away.  Absolutely no issue until this year.

for context I’ve been using a hammer for a living and I’m now 43 this year.

ive now switched to a titanium hammer and this has also helped the day to day.

I will be going for more accu treatments I have just been extremely busy and I think this time it will require some time off to allow the treatments to expedite the healing.

If anyone has experience with this issue I’d be interested in hearing their story too.

Try using your non dominant hand or a Lacrosse ball or rolling pin to gently release/massage out the forearm muscles on either side of the elbow with an Epsom salt infused muscle gel, then wrap the area in a towel that's been dampened with hot water and then try your stretches lightly. 

Also see my post above regarding IMS - could be an alternative to acupuncture as it requires less time. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Try using your non dominant hand or a Lacrosse ball or rolling pin to gently release/massage out the forearm muscles on either side of the elbow with an Epsom salt infused muscle gel, then wrap the area in a towel that's been dampened with hot water and then try your stretches lightly. 

Also see my post above regarding IMS - could be an alternative to acupuncture as it requires less time. 

Thank you very much. I have heard good things about IMS.

hoping to try it soon.

can I get a gel at a drugstore or maybe a health food/supplement store probably?

23 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Thank you very much. I have heard good things about IMS.

hoping to try it soon.

can I get a gel at a drugstore or maybe a health food/supplement store probably?

I like to use 'Epsomgel' as it's a high quality product with how it's made, and it's also local as it's made in Pemberton. 

https://www.epsomgel.ca

If you have Amazon prime you could get it to your doorstep in a couple days - it should also be available at a place like shoppers 

• Thanks 1