Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

If we lose series do we fire AV ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
134 replies to this topic

#121 jagori78

jagori78

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

The problem with Gillis is that he looks at players from a player agent point of view. He saw Kassian as a "potential" power forward and convinced himself that he was one. A player agents' job is to look at a player in the best possible light, and Gillis is guilty of doing this.

I don't trust Gillis and the moneypuck strategy. I'm not even sure what exactly his requirements are for a player. When he first got here, all he talked about was conditioning and intelligence. Now he only wants size. This summer he'll be all about offense. I dont think even he knows what identity he wants for the team anymore.

#122 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,722 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:00 PM

The problem with Gillis is that he looks at players from a player agent point of view. He saw Kassian as a "potential" power forward and convinced himself that he was one. A player agents' job is to look at a player in the best possible light, and Gillis is guilty of doing this.

I don't trust Gillis and the moneypuck strategy. I'm not even sure what exactly his requirements are for a player. When he first got here, all he talked about was conditioning and intelligence. Now he only wants size. This summer he'll be all about offense. I dont think even he knows what identity he wants for the team anymore.

Bingo. Great observation. I've been wondering what his long term blueprint for the team was. But the more time goes on, the less I think he has a vision for the team. I sort of see where the defense, and we're getting bigger forwards and centres. It's almost looking like we're rebuilding without having a rebuild. I'm more excited about the young players with the Canucks than our vets.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#123 kchengc

kchengc

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,324 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:31 PM

I sure hope so but I think they will use tanev and Schneider's injuries, possibly Kesler's flu and other misc bumps and bruises as excuses to mask his complete incompetence to coach playoff games.... just like previous years... I never liked his hiring but at least defense-only system and grind out 1-0 or 2-1 win made sense when we had no one but Luongo to rely on back in 2007... it is 2013 now and av's best before date had expired by approximately 2-3 years

#124 doobiedoodoo

doobiedoodoo

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:36 PM

Yes. Why are the Sedins on in final minute? Elder? Did AV see that first goal?

#125 AppleJack

AppleJack

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:50 PM

I don't see how they can not fire AV

29mln9e.jpg

CHOCOLATE RAIN, YOU GUYS! CHOCOLATE RAIN!

Do Not Trade Tanevbjhfh0.jpg

#126 kirkmclean1994

kirkmclean1994

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:10 PM

At 32 going on 33, the Sedins still have life in them.

I'm convinced that hiring the right coach could rejuvenate them and some of the other vets.

At the same time a new coach who is also good and "teaching" and developing youth would help as we need to start adding some fresh, young players.

If we do that and MG can make a trade or two to add some scoring or find it thru FA, we can extend this "window" with this group a number of years

#127 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,485 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:11 PM

Fire no...

Thank him for quality service to help our team get better when we really needed it and then tell him we are unfortunately moving in a new direction and wish him well in his future endevors.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#128 AllEyezOnMe

AllEyezOnMe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:14 PM

We all leave this unlucky city and travel to Pittsburgh and become Crosby fanboys.

#129 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:56 PM

GMMG AND AV GO.

THEY'VE BEEN GOOD BUT IT SEEMS A BIT STALE NOW.
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#130 bobopan

bobopan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,532 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:12 PM

GMMG AND AV GO.

THEY'VE BEEN GOOD BUT IT SEEMS A BIT STALE NOW.

The whole core is stale. Ill be so happy when AV is gone but its not enough. Id give MG another year to fix his mess but if he doesn't change up this core in the summer he should be on the hot seat if he already isn't.

I don't know how you can come back with this same core and expect fans to feel any sort of optimism in the team. Getting rid of Luongo, Ballard and Booth.. 2 of which are not even playing in this series does not count as changing the core. IMO Raymond is as good as gone and one of our top 4 d-men should be traded. I would even look at trading Burrows altho im not sure the return would be worth it. That looks like another terrible contact in the making.

#131 131313

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:47 PM

I don't agree with a lot of the hate AV gets. I think he's been an excellent coach here and people forget how refreshing it was to have a coach who was entertaining in interviews. He's also brought along much of our best talent from Winnepeg to Van and so on.

But I also believe coaches have an expiry date in major sports leagues. And the player-coach dynamic is sort of like being a pro chef/cook. You can only stay at the resteraunt so long before you've learned everything you can from that particular place. Similarly I think players need new coaches from time to time to keep them thinking about the game or changing teir perspective.

I do believe AVs time is done if they do anything short of a finals appearance.

But I do not believe he's the evil dummy people seem to want to blame him as. You don't become a teams winningest coach in 40+ years by fluke or luck and I'd you're going to blame him for the bad then you have to credit him with the good.

But yes. If the team bows out its time for a change. But he is NOT the only change needed if that's the case.

I agree completely, I also think AV will have another job almost right away, I expect there are teams waiting to see if he becomes available this summer. It will be interesting to see who they get to replace him though, none of the names mentioned seem like a great option except maybe Babcock. Keenan would be terrible.

#132 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:52 PM

I am sure AV will be the first person to go. I don't think MG's job is on the line but he might be down to a final year left. A new coach with a new philosophy and ideas would be a welcome change. I just look at how Toronto has played since Carlyle took over. Not much talent but a lot of drive and determination.

#133 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,764 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:55 PM

I'm not convinced he will be fired no matter what happens this post season.

#134 131313

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:59 PM

The whole core is stale. Ill be so happy when AV is gone but its not enough. Id give MG another year to fix his mess but if he doesn't change up this core in the summer he should be on the hot seat if he already isn't.

I don't know how you can come back with this same core and expect fans to feel any sort of optimism in the team. Getting rid of Luongo, Ballard and Booth.. 2 of which are not even playing in this series does not count as changing the core. IMO Raymond is as good as gone and one of our top 4 d-men should be traded. I would even look at trading Burrows altho im not sure the return would be worth it. That looks like another terrible contact in the making.

Burrows, seriously?? The only problem with Burrows season and playoffs is the rest of his line. It is hard to believe that the Sedins were among the best players in the NHL 2 years ago and would be lucky to make the top 50 now. I am not saying we need to trade the Sedins because they have been great Canucks and great for the city of Vancouver for many years and deserve to retire as Canucks if they want.

#135 Ryan kesler the beast

Ryan kesler the beast

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:09 PM

Ya. Why not.
Posted Image
Thanks VC!

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.