The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hunter Shinkaruk

He's is much bigger than Schroeder but has a similar body shape. He isn't one of those skinny kids is what I am saying.

Well... Schroeder was extremely strong for an 18 year old hockey player during his draft year.

He beat Kassian's bench results... not sure what his leg strength is like but from what I've seen, his legs are also huge.

I saw a few pics of Shinkaruk and he doesn't look nearly as strong as Schroeder.

Well... Schroeder was extremely strong for an 18 year old hockey player during his draft year.

He beat Kassian's bench results... not sure what his leg strength is like but from what I've seen, his legs are also huge.

I saw a few pics of Shinkaruk and he doesn't look nearly as strong as Schroeder.

I didn't see the combine results so I'm not sure how they compare that way. Shinkaruk is on the small side but he is a strong-small.

What I was saying is the way he skates. Shinkaruk has a low centre of gravity so he is solid on his feet for a smaller guy. He is deceptive in small spaces.

Dont get how 5 11 size is a concern at all, hes gonna put on weight and mature physically and his game is going to translate for sure

I wouldn't put too much stock in his 'measurements'. He looks small on Dub ice against players his same age.

Will it affect hIm? IDK. But what other reason do you think he was passed over for so long today? It's not his skating or his shot or his competitiveness.

It may not be a concern to you but it obviously is to pro scouting departments.

His parents sat in front of me at one of those russia-canada games last year at the pacific coliseum. He will be limited in size by genetics.

Hey now, aren't Malkins parents like both under 5'7

My folks are quite short but my brother and I are 5'11 or taller.

But on topic, I was hoping this guy would be a battler, as he will have to outwork his opposition in most circumstances.

Well not to suggest they are in the same 'class'

but Sidney Crosby, Joe Sakic, Steve Yzerman, Doug Gilmour are 5'11' so if you're talented, height isn't always an issue

You could add Giroux, P. Kane, and Parise to that list as well

Well not to suggest they are in the same 'class'

but Sidney Crosby, Joe Sakic, Steve Yzerman, Doug Gilmour are 5'11' so if you're talented, height isn't always an issue

Being 5' 11" in a league when the average height is 6' 1" isn't a big deal, at all...being 5' 9" or under, now that's a different story, IMO.

His parents sat in front of me at one of those russia-canada games last year at the pacific coliseum. He will be limited in size by genetics.

not always so.. my parents are both under 5'8" i am over 6'... figure that one out.

I still don't understand the hang up with size, when there are multiple examples of players not only making it in the NHL at under 6'0, but becoming stars. Shinkaruk is the dynamic offensive prospect that this team has been lacking since we dealt Cody. Now don't jump down my throat on Jensen's upside, I'm just saying that Jensen will probably be a pure goal scorer while Shinkaruk easily has the tools for a complete offensive game.

Compete level seems to be the only relevant factor in becoming an NHLer, from which Horvat, Shinkaruk and Cassels all received 5/5 on their scouting report compete level. I just worry that the WHL might not be enough for Shinkaruk next year, as he's clearly demonstrated it's childs play for him.

I still don't understand the hang up with size, when there are multiple examples of players not only making it in the NHL at under 6'0, but becoming stars. Shinkaruk is the dynamic offensive prospect that this team has been lacking since we dealt Cody. Now don't jump down my throat on Jensen's upside, I'm just saying that Jensen will probably be a pure goal scorer while Shinkaruk easily has the tools for a complete offensive game.

Compete level seems to be the only relevant factor in becoming an NHLer, from which Horvat, Shinkaruk and Cassels all received 5/5 on their scouting report compete level. I just worry that the WHL might not be enough for Shinkaruk next year, as he's clearly demonstrated it's childs play for him.

Shinkaruk is the closest thing to a bona-fide future first liner as this team has had in a long time. If he ends up somewhere around a Patty Kane, Zach Parise, Claude Giroux type player, he was a steal at 24th.

Shinkaruk's size will never be an issue. He plays wing, it's far less important at that position compared to C or even D. Plus, he's an explosive skater with great speed, which is a huge plus for a smaller guy. Look at Patrick Kane, who's almost identicle in size and nearly impossivle to hit due to high sense of ice awareness and speed / edge work.

He's got game breaking talent, and explosiveness in his stride, which are two things you just can't teach. Such a steal at #24, sounds like a case of getting bored in the W last year, hopefully he can make the squad this year.

Archived