The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cole Cassels | C

JE14

In fairness to the original comment of not wanting him to be like Marchand, I'm sure it related to the fact that Boston constantly reigns him in (only mostly successfully) to keep him a productive hockey player - but I'm sure you knew that. We don't have the leeway that Boston has had to have a player who's constantly playing on or over the edge with stupid plays like Marchand, and for Cassels to end up being too aggressive and costing the team in key situations that would be bad no matter how many points he scores.

Fair comment.

I'm sure you'd agree though that we've had our share of players who walk the line and have needed to be reigned in; Burrows and Kesler in most recent memory. Those players took to time to mature, but once they did they became top players in the league and still play with an edge. The thing with players of that elk is in order to be successful they have to walk the line and every once and while will cross it. Marchand may make a really stupid play and cost his team now and again (NOTE: You hear less and less about his antics as he's maturing and a lot more about how quality of a player he is), but all the great things he does and brings out weighs the odd bone head move.

I was simply trying to point out that if Cassels developed into Marchand 2.0, the overwhelming majority of fans would be thrilled, even if there was some "reigning in" by coaches in the beginning, because what he brings on the ice greatly out weighs the negatives about him, even if ends up having to be "reigned in". While this is my opinion, I'd rather have a player that plays in your face, abrasive hockey while putting up points and sometimes crosses the line vs. a guy who plays safe, soft hockey, and puts up points (assuming those points would be equal). IMO guys who play with an edge usually have a competitive fire that allows them to be successful when the games matter most.

Why wouldn't you want Cassels to turn into a player like Marchand??

IMO here's what he (Marchand) brings:

- Carreer 0.6 ppg

- Two 20 goal season (was on pace for over 20 in the lock out shortened season) and is on pace for at least another 20

- 50-60 pts guy

- Excellent 200 ft player

- Top unit PK and pretty sure (someone can correct me) Top unit PP

- Good along boards, finishes checks, and uses stick very well

- Agitates like very few in the game (I'm sure this where that above comment comes from)

- Proven big game player

For the record, I'm NOT a Marchand fan, but if that type of player is on your team, what's not to like?

Any team would love to have a Marchand type player on their team, but at the same time many do not want Marchand as a person. He's cocky, a crybaby and also very disrespectful. Cassels I don't believe is any of those things except for maybe a bit cocky (which can be a good thing sometimes).

Any team would love to have a Marchand type player on their team, but at the same time many do not want Marchand as a person. He's cocky, a crybaby and also very disrespectful. Cassels I don't believe is any of those things except for maybe a bit cocky (which can be a good thing sometimes).

Agreed. My original comment was focused on Marchand the player.

I think anyone who is fan of the game, who isn't a Bruins fan or from Halifax, isn't a fan of Marchand the player or person, but nobody in the hockey world can deny his talent. Simply put, if Cassels does turn into this type of player (I agree with you that he doesnt' strike me as that type of personality) then as Nucks fans we're laughing.

In fairness to the original comment of not wanting him to be like Marchand, I'm sure it related to the fact that Boston constantly reigns him in (only mostly successfully) to keep him a productive hockey player - but I'm sure you knew that. We don't have the leeway that Boston has had to have a player who's constantly playing on or over the edge with stupid plays like Marchand, and for Cassels to end up being too aggressive and costing the team in key situations that would be bad no matter how many points he scores.

Thank you, Elvis.

Pimp just seems to think that I already think he's a classless dbag like Marchand. I don't. I just don't want him to be looking to piss someone off every single time he's on the ice. There was rumours going around that even the Bruins' management were getting tired of his antics.

I don't want him to lose his agitating ability, but I just want him to be someone who can reign himself in and keep his cool when necessary, something Marchand has trouble with.

Agreed. My original comment was focused on Marchand the player.

I think anyone who is fan of the game, who isn't a Bruins fan or from Halifax, isn't a fan of Marchand the player or person, but nobody in the hockey world can deny his talent. Simply put, if Cassels does turn into this type of player (I agree with you that he doesnt' strike me as that type of personality) then as Nucks fans we're laughing.

I've said a few times I wish Marchand was better at one thing - dropping the antics and playing hockey - since he's already pretty good at the rest. As it is he strikes me as a small guy with a big nose and a Napoleon complex, exasperated by his early success and talent.

To again bring this around to Cassels, he doesn't have those same issues, but he has yet to show he can produce and play the agitating game on the right side of the line at the NHL level. I hope he does.

EDIT: And as far as your other post, of course we've had those players. Burrows and Kesler as you mentioned, but also guys like Lapierre, Torres and Cooke. If Cassels can reach higher levels of success in how well he plays hockey, we'll overlook his warts with stepping over the line to a point. We already do that with Kassian for instance, who's a tweener right now but has made some poor decisions with illegal plays. We stop doing that when the players aren't producing or could be replaced easily as a role player.

Why can't we hope for a Cassels that plays a hard nosed game and produces offensively but doesn't get into trouble and have to be monitored closely to keep him in check?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if these are the final cuts, but so far Cassels has made it:

Bob McKenzie retweeted

USA select camp cuts: Adam Erne (TBL), Michael McCarron (Habs) and Jack Dougherty (NSH). Announcement made by @usahockey after 5-2 win vs BU

The US needs to make 5 more cuts. RIght now I would say Cassels is 50-50 to make the team.

erne cut?! they must have a good team.

Its probably the best forward group on paper we've ever brought to the tournament. Eichel of course headlines it, but Matthews, the 2nd center on the team is challenging to go number 1 in 2016. Lots of talented older players to compliment them in Tuch, Milano, Compher, Larkin, etc

Of course the games arent played on paper, but I'm excited for the firepower the US is bringing

I watched the US game on and off while watching the Canada game. The fact that he played with Erne and McCarron and them being cut is both a good and a bad thing; he was either the bright spot on that line or he is next to go.

In my opinion, he looked like a kid who hasn't played hockey in 3 weeks, which is true. He will get his legs back and he'll be of the last players cut/on the team.

On his assist, he really didn't do much. USA executes a swarm/pressure PK and Cassels did well to tie up the half-wall forward and let De Leo grab the loose put for a 2 on 1 with Hannifin.

I hope this kid makes it.

Archived