The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cole Cassels | C

JE14

ImportantShallowGossamerwingedbutterfly.

it looks like cassels thought the guy was going to finish turning (he started to turn up the boards) and was all set up to lay him out in anticipation, but the guy stopped turning and played the puck facing the boards instead. that's a foolish and unsafe play on both of their parts, but more unlucky for cassels, since what looked like it was going to be a clean hit ended up turning ugly and very illegal once the kid stopped turning and Cole got a suspension that may have left him off the WJC roster as a result..

It's not like cole ran him and put his shoulder into his numbers, he got the back of his arm/shoulder. it wasn't nearly as bad as people were describing.

That was a hard hit, but it wasn't a blindside hit. The other player looked up a little before and saw Cassels coming in.

10 games seems a little excessive on it. I would think 4 - 5 should do it.

He's got a history of chippy plays. He needs to tone it down. I never said he was like Marchand, I just don't want him to turn into a player like him, but by all means, call me an idiot.

Cassels doesn't have a history of dirty hits.

Half they players in the NHL make chippy plays, are they all like Marchand?

That was a hard hit, but it wasn't a blindside hit. The other player looked up a little before and saw Cassels coming in.

10 games seems a little excessive on it. I would think 4 - 5 should do it.

If that hit was "blindside", then I guess every player should just stare at the puck, because nobody could legally hit them then.

He's got a history of chippy plays. He needs to tone it down. I never said he was like Marchand, I just don't want him to turn into a player like him, but by all means, call me an idiot

Why wouldn't you want Cassels to turn into a player like Marchand??

IMO here's what he (Marchand) brings:

- Carreer 0.6 ppg

- Two 20 goal season (was on pace for over 20 in the lock out shortened season) and is on pace for at least another 20

- 50-60 pts guy

- Excellent 200 ft player

- Top unit PK and pretty sure (someone can correct me) Top unit PP

- Good along boards, finishes checks, and uses stick very well

- Agitates like very few in the game (I'm sure this where that above comment comes from)

- Proven big game player

For the record, I'm NOT a Marchand fan, but if that type of player is on your team, what's not to like?

- Carreer 0.6 ppg

- Two 20 goal season (was on pace for over 20 in the lock out shortened season) and is on pace for at least another 20

- 50-60 pts guy

- Agitates like very few in the game (I'm sure this where that above comment comes from)

- Proven big game player

For the record, I'm NOT a Marchand fan, but if that type of player is on your team, what's not to like?

im with you 100%. Would kill to have a marchand clone. Minus the Schnozz ;)

He needs to learn how to control himself. Don't want him to be like Marchand when he makes the big club. Idiotic hit.

Is becoming another Marchand really a bad thing? Personally, I think having a chip on the shoulder bodes well for us. Remember: Marchand is just one player in the league. We have players like Burrows and have had players like Kesler and Torres before which arguably have provided us with success in taunting (while making other teams hate us too mind you lol).

I see Cassels, potentially, panning into a Doug Gilmour-type.

Gilmour was a late bloomer too. 7th round pick, who hadn't showed much until his draft year, and then just took off like a rocket soon after.

Would be a stretch to say Cassels will end up anywhere as good as him. But if he's even remotely close, that will be huge for the organization.

- Carreer 0.6 ppg

- 50-60 pts guy

- Proven big game player

In fairness to the original comment of not wanting him to be like Marchand, I'm sure it related to the fact that Boston constantly reigns him in (only mostly successfully) to keep him a productive hockey player - but I'm sure you knew that. We don't have the leeway that Boston has had to have a player who's constantly playing on or over the edge with stupid plays like Marchand, and for Cassels to end up being too aggressive and costing the team in key situations that would be bad no matter how many points he scores.

Archived