The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is anyone else worrying for Bo Horvat?

Kanucklehead10

I pity the guy; I don't think he quite understands the chaos and soap operas that's go on here on the west coast since he's an eastern country boy, as well as how important of a figure Cory Schneider was to our fan base and organization. To be under the microscope is one thing, but in Vancouver, it's a whole other level. I know he is a future star and will have a great career ahead of him but if it takes a while for him to reach his potential, say, a couple years (which I think it will take), I think the fans and media will start to question this player and bring negative attention towards him, making him experience too much pressure at a tender age and effect him personally. There are players that thrive under big trades and players that crumble, I just hope he does well here and is able to deal with the problems he will face especially in the next couple of years.

The English language weeps.

The only soap operas and drama in Vancouver are the ones perpetuated by fairweather fans such as yourself, and the media who recognizes you and your ilk.

We have some of the worst media figures here in Vancouver when it comes to media reporting. People call this a "goalie graveyard" or that the fans are "passionate" and "want a cup".

The reality is that the minority happens to be the most vocal, and therefore stand out from the crowd.

This wouldn't be so bad except for the propensity toward displaying bipolar tendencies, and the media acknowledging this by tailoring their sensationalizing "reporting" to said subset of the fan base.

It's because of fans like you who harbor these notions of drama that it even exists in the first place by buying into the crap that the media spews forth on an almost daily basis.

I'm not worried, the kid's going to be just fine.

I feel bad for him, because if he doesn't reach expectations (1st line center), he'll get driven right out of this town ala Raymond. What's worse is that he will be expected to have a value equal to that of Schneider, which will be almost impossible.

Good luck kid.

I'm sure he knows he has pressure on him. The guy was there when it all went down live. He's probably been told about our fans.

It really blows for him because he's always just going to be considered as the guy we traded Schneider for, putting a ton of pressure on him from Canuck fans.

He seems like a pretty humble kid. The guy was on Twitter today answering questions and whatnot getting the tiniest taste of what our fanbase is like. I'm sure he had plenty of questions come up that he probably avoided.

The only soap operas and drama in Vancouver are the ones perpetuated by fairweather fans such as yourself, and the media who recognizes you and your ilk.

We have some of the worst media figures here in Vancouver when it comes to media reporting. People call this a "goalie graveyard" or that the fans are "passionate" and "want a cup".

The reality is that the minority happens to be the most vocal, and therefore stand out from the crowd.

This wouldn't be so bad except for the propensity toward displaying bipolar tendencies, and the media acknowledging this by tailoring their sensationalizing "reporting" to said subset of the fan base.

It's because of fans like you who harbor these notions of drama that it even exists in the first place by buying into the crap that the media spews forth on an almost daily basis.

I pity the guy; I don't think he quite understands the chaos and soap operas that's go on here on the west coast since he's an eastern country boy, as well as how important of a figure Cory Schneider was to our fan base and organization. To be under the microscope is one thing, but in Vancouver, it's a whole other level. I know he is a future star and will have a great career ahead of him but if it takes a while for him to reach his potential, say, a couple years (which I think it will take), I think the fans and media will start to question this player and bring negative attention towards him, making him experience too much pressure at a tender age and effect him personally. There are players that thrive under big trades and players that crumble, I just hope he does well here and is able to deal with the problems he will face especially in the next couple of years.

I believe Schroeder right now has more pressure as it is hard to see where he fits. I hope he works his way into the lineup. As for Raymond he just didn't fit anywhere on the team. Bo Horvat should be given time to develop his game. I see no reason he needs to be rushed. I would rather see Gaunce and Jensen given time before Horvat ever arrives. If Luongo plays well will anyone care Schnieder was traded. It gives the team more space to sign what they need and play some rookies.

To the people who think pressure can't impact a player's performance, development etc.

Wake up, it does.

OP is simply stating he's concerned that it could impact Horvat's development.

I for one think it could and the smart move regardless of whether he shows he's ready or not is let him play in Junior another year, avoid the pressure from the fans, get stronger, more confident etc, play a year in the AHL and by the time he's up here everyone will have forgotten.

Time to shine.Either the kid is the real deal or not.It is all up to him.

From what I note so far he is pretty grounded,seems to have a good family/structure and is well-spoken.

I hope he just takes it all in stride and adjusts/assimilates/excels as he goes.

I feel bad for him, because if he doesn't reach expectations (1st line center), he'll get driven right out of this town ala Raymond. What's worse is that he will be expected to have a value equal to that of Schneider, which will be almost impossible.

Good luck kid.

Ok, great but I do not live in Vancouver so I don't know what it's actually like with the fans there; you see, outside of B.C we actually do believe that it's a soap opera that goes on each year and what you said was correct in that we shouldn't buy into the media and all of the useless drama they create. I was voicing my opinion and I guess you were angered because of it, calm down.

Archived