102 replies to this topic

#1 Kanucklehead10

Kanucklehead10

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:30 AM

I pity the guy; I don't think he quite understands the chaos and soap operas that's go on here on the west coast since he's an eastern country boy, as well as how important of a figure Cory Schneider was to our fan base and organization. To be under the microscope is one thing, but in Vancouver, it's a whole other level. I know he is a future star and will have a great career ahead of him but if it takes a while for him to reach his potential, say, a couple years (which I think it will take), I think the fans and media will start to question this player and bring negative attention towards him, making him experience too much pressure at a tender age and effect him personally. There are players that thrive under big trades and players that crumble, I just hope he does well here and is able to deal with the problems he will face especially in the next couple of years.

#2 shadowgoon

shadowgoon

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:43 AM

POPULAR

The English language weeps.

The only soap operas and drama in Vancouver are the ones perpetuated by fairweather fans such as yourself, and the media who recognizes you and your ilk.

We have some of the worst media figures here in Vancouver when it comes to media reporting. People call this a "goalie graveyard" or that the fans are "passionate" and "want a cup".

The reality is that the minority happens to be the most vocal, and therefore stand out from the crowd.

This wouldn't be so bad except for the propensity toward displaying bipolar tendencies, and the media acknowledging this by tailoring their sensationalizing "reporting" to said subset of the fan base.

It's because of fans like you who harbor these notions of drama that it even exists in the first place by buying into the crap that the media spews forth on an almost daily basis.

I'm not worried, the kid's going to be just fine.

#3 Clinch16

Clinch16

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:56 AM

"Worrying" about a player on a team that you're a fan of.

There's your problem right there.
Posted Image

#4 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,147 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:03 AM

I feel bad for him, because if he doesn't reach expectations (1st line center), he'll get driven right out of this town ala Raymond. What's worse is that he will be expected to have a value equal to that of Schneider, which will be almost impossible.

Good luck kid.
Posted Image

#5 DollarAndADream

DollarAndADream

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,760 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:10 AM

I'm sure he knows he has pressure on him. The guy was there when it all went down live. He's probably been told about our fans.

It really blows for him because he's always just going to be considered as the guy we traded Schneider for, putting a ton of pressure on him from Canuck fans.

He seems like a pretty humble kid. The guy was on Twitter today answering questions and whatnot getting the tiniest taste of what our fanbase is like. I'm sure he had plenty of questions come up that he probably avoided.

Posted Image
RIP LB/RR - Signature credit to JimLahey

#6 Kanucklehead10

Kanucklehead10

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:26 AM

The only soap operas and drama in Vancouver are the ones perpetuated by fairweather fans such as yourself, and the media who recognizes you and your ilk.

We have some of the worst media figures here in Vancouver when it comes to media reporting. People call this a "goalie graveyard" or that the fans are "passionate" and "want a cup".

The reality is that the minority happens to be the most vocal, and therefore stand out from the crowd.

This wouldn't be so bad except for the propensity toward displaying bipolar tendencies, and the media acknowledging this by tailoring their sensationalizing "reporting" to said subset of the fan base.

It's because of fans like you who harbor these notions of drama that it even exists in the first place by buying into the crap that the media spews forth on an almost daily basis.

Ok, great but I do not live in Vancouver so I don't know what it's actually like with the fans there; you see, outside of B.C most people actually do believe that it's a soap opera that goes on each year in that players in Vancouver are easy judged for every single small mistake. What you said was correct in that we shouldn't buy into the media and all of the useless drama they create, I'm sorry for that. I'm not sorry for voicing my opinion and I guess it offended you so much to make you pop a blood vessel or something. LOL calling me out as a "fair weather fan", stop being so butt hurt; it's funny how you know nothing about me as a fan and judge me on one thread that states my opinion on whether Horvat might crumble or strive being known as "the guy we traded Schneider for". You're one to talk. A great representative of Vancouver fans...is everybody else in Vancouver so easy angered and as harsh as you are?

Edited by Kanucklehead10, 09 July 2013 - 07:36 AM.

#7 grandmaster

grandmaster

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:29 AM

POPULAR

What a stupid thread. Feel sorry for a guy who got drafted into the NHL? Do you not realize how near impossible that is?

I think he is doing a lot better than most.

Feel sorry for yourself for creating this dumb thread.

Favorite all time Canuck: Bertuzzi 2002-2003 season
Most clutch all time Canuck: Linden 1994 Stanley Cup Playoffs
Most exciting all time Canuck: Pavel Bure 90's

#8 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,295 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:42 AM

I pity the guy; I don't think he quite understands the chaos and soap operas that's go on here on the west coast since he's an eastern country boy, as well as how important of a figure Cory Schneider was to our fan base and organization. To be under the microscope is one thing, but in Vancouver, it's a whole other level. I know he is a future star and will have a great career ahead of him but if it takes a while for him to reach his potential, say, a couple years (which I think it will take), I think the fans and media will start to question this player and bring negative attention towards him, making him experience too much pressure at a tender age and effect him personally. There are players that thrive under big trades and players that crumble, I just hope he does well here and is able to deal with the problems he will face especially in the next couple of years.

I mean if fans like you wouldn't create chaos then there would be no chaos... am I right?

im right.

Posted Image

#freetorts

-Credit to blueberries-

#9 sroutley

sroutley

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:44 AM

I believe Schroeder right now has more pressure as it is hard to see where he fits. I hope he works his way into the lineup. As for Raymond he just didn't fit anywhere on the team. Bo Horvat should be given time to develop his game. I see no reason he needs to be rushed. I would rather see Gaunce and Jensen given time before Horvat ever arrives. If Luongo plays well will anyone care Schnieder was traded. It gives the team more space to sign what they need and play some rookies.

#10 MLT

MLT

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:47 AM

You are whats wrong with Van city fans... way to prove your own point.
Posted Image

#11 In the Slot

In the Slot

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:06 AM

To the people who think pressure can't impact a player's performance, development etc.

Wake up, it does.

OP is simply stating he's concerned that it could impact Horvat's development.

I for one think it could and the smart move regardless of whether he shows he's ready or not is let him play in Junior another year, avoid the pressure from the fans, get stronger, more confident etc, play a year in the AHL and by the time he's up here everyone will have forgotten.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you can't win an argument, correct the grammar instead"
- Internet Troll Handbook Chapter 1 pg 23

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Especially if the Kassian's are 6'3'' mountain men with missing teeth and cool tattoos and the Hodgson's are short legged weirdos with politician parents" - Hansen36

#12 Standing_Tall#37

Standing_Tall#37

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:45 AM

This thread is gonna make Bo Horvat roundhouse kick someone in the teeth. Thanks op.

#13 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,495 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:04 AM

Time to shine.Either the kid is the real deal or not.It is all up to him.

From what I note so far he is pretty grounded,seems to have a good family/structure and is well-spoken.

I hope he just takes it all in stride and adjusts/assimilates/excels as he goes.

Edited by nuck nit, 09 July 2013 - 07:06 AM.

#14 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,658 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:17 AM

I feel bad for him, because if he doesn't reach expectations (1st line center), he'll get driven right out of this town ala Raymond. What's worse is that he will be expected to have a value equal to that of Schneider, which will be almost impossible.

Good luck kid.

Why did fans turn on Raymond? Because he showed promise in the beginning, then got worse. Raymond never took steps to help himself. (Now did the back injury screw him up? Of course it did) Raymond also never took steps to use his speed as an advantage. His tendency to fall down, and or be knocked off the puck was more worrying. I said it two years ago, he should either work out with the Sedin's or go somewhere to work out his core strength. He needed to sacrifice some of that speed, for a better and stronger stride and protect the puck better. The lockout gave him a golden opportunity to work on those fundamentals and he didn't address them.

Now this is also a good example of why didn't the coaching staff work with Raymond to help him improve?
One of AV's problems is he wasn't working with the players to help them get better. He left it up to the players to do it themselves.

All I ask of Bo is try his best. Work hard, and try and get better every day.

Edited by Ghostsof1915, 09 July 2013 - 07:19 AM.

GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#15 Kanucklehead10

Kanucklehead10

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:25 AM

What a stupid thread. Feel sorry for a guy who got drafted into the NHL? Do you not realize how near impossible that is?

I think he is doing a lot better than most.

Feel sorry for yourself for creating this dumb thread.

Either you do not understand English or you are a complete idiot. You missed the whole idea of this topic. At what point did I say that I feel sorry for him being drafted in the NHL? I was stating how I am worried about how the pressure carried onto this lad might effect his development. Who are you to judge my thread anyways? Calling my thread stupid when you didn't even understand it? Pft. Shut up.

#16 Kanucklehead10

Kanucklehead10

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:26 AM

This thread is gonna make Bo Horvat roundhouse kick someone in the teeth. Thanks op.

Yea he'll roundhouse kick the sh*t out of you, no problem.

#17 canacks1970

canacks1970

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:29 AM

Ok, great but I do not live in Vancouver so I don't know what it's actually like with the fans there; you see, outside of B.C we actually do believe that it's a soap opera that goes on each year and what you said was correct in that we shouldn't buy into the media and all of the useless drama they create. I was voicing my opinion and I guess you were angered because of it, calm down.

You don't think every team don't realized the pressure of a young kid that's been taken in the first round?
Ok, How is the media any different in Montreal,N.Y or Toronto? Look back in Montreal's history on how much pressure they put on a 1 st round pick . Guy Lafluer, Doug Wichenheiser were prime examples. Except one took a three years to developed and the other never materialized to his expectation. Hey I remember Bob Gainey wasn't a popular pick either . Every draft pick is a crap shoot.
Why feel sorry for Horvat?We don't know the kid and his potential? We don't know how strong this kid is mentally. That's why you developed your players accordingly so they don't feel the pressure of carrying the team all the time .I don't know what you expect, but I believe your reading way into the media and fans when it comes to expectation from this kid. Its not like we expect this kid to jump in and make an immediate impact. Look it took the Sedins ,Schneider, Kesler some time to developed and they turned out ok.

Edited by canacks1970, 09 July 2013 - 07:31 AM.

#18 shadowgoon

shadowgoon

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:29 AM

You are whats wrong with Van city fans... way to prove your own point.

What you're trying to say doesn't mean what you think it does.

What I said, was nothing more than an observation based upon having followed this team for more than two decades.

The length in which I have followed the team does not inherently make me right, but at the same time I'm also not wrong.

Over the past twenty years, there has been a significant change in the culture of the Vancouver fans which had risen along with the ever increasing popularity of the game.

That combined with an ever increasing need for instant gratification, it's no wonder media has picked up on the trend.

Even the makeup of people who attend the games has changed significantly, this is evidenced by the almost complete inability to sustain energy for the team; it's too corporate.

The fans in Vancouver, not to paint with too broad of a brush, ought to be ashamed.

Look at Winnipeg fans for example, where I presently reside after spending 28 years of my life in Vancouver, regardless of win or lose they support their players, they don't act as angry and confused peasants raising large rusty pitchforks seeking someone for sacrifice.

I will never support another team, but I sure as hell don't have to support the minority of terrible fans in Vancouver who ruin the image of Canuck Nation for the rest of us.

Edited by Shadowgoon, 09 July 2013 - 07:35 AM.

#19 Kanucklehead10

Kanucklehead10

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:38 AM

I mean if fans like you wouldn't create chaos then there would be no chaos... am I right?

im right.

You're right? Idk about that, what I do know is that you're a queef fart.

Edited by Kanucklehead10, 09 July 2013 - 07:40 AM.

#20 Noseforthenet

Noseforthenet

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:45 AM

With a name like Bo Horvat, he probably would kick someone in the teeth!!! Seriously though, this was a very deep draft. He may even be able to play bottom 6 minutes this season! If we all can remember Kesler from his draft year. He started playing fairly quick and drove Chris Pronger absolutely crazy!!! And Kes was a low pick. Bo is top 10. He should realize there are lofty expectations of him. He's a top 10 pick for god's sake!!! We just drafted a franchise player!!!

The reality of it is, it may actually be better to have him up in a bottom 6 role. The Sedins may be gone after this season, so the team can spend money on becoming a lil stiffer. I for one would love to see one of Gaunce, Schroeder, or Horvat step into that second line center role behind Kesler in 2014. We're gonna need it!!

#21 campers11

campers11

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:46 AM

awww someone made fun of your thread..... is it not living up to expectations? I think it's gonna crack under all the pressure.

Haha but no I don't the Horvat is going to feel any pressure he went to a good team where he doesn't have to make an immediate impact he doesn't have to play 1st line minutes next season. Yes we all expect great things but come on the only one putting pressure on the guy is you.
Posted Image Cred to "Keslers happy dance"!
RIP Luc Bourdon
Thank you linden.
No, thank you Chuck Norris.

#22 Legend Killer

Legend Killer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:47 AM

I don't think it'll be an issue, and i only say that because playing in London preps players for this type of pressure. They are more involved and under the microscope than any other junior team in their city. Playing in front of 9000+ will help. When the Knights won the OHL championship this year, he was a hero of the city. When they lost in the Memorial Cup, the main difference is that fans didn't take it out on them.. which is something that Canucks fans would do.

Edited by Legend Killer, 09 July 2013 - 07:49 AM.

Posted Image
For the first time in a long time.. the future looks bright..

#23 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,295 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:52 AM

little harsh dont you think? whats with the personal attack? usually when that happens the attacker doesnt have enough knowledge to back up an opinion or argument. so ill take that as a compliment and a win because I think you know deep down inside that this was a useless thread.

Edited by Gooseberries, 09 July 2013 - 07:54 AM.

Posted Image

#freetorts

-Credit to blueberries-

#24 babych

babych

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,091 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:59 AM

Either you do not understand English or you are a complete idiot.

Yea he'll roundhouse kick the sh*t out of you, no problem.

OP, you have made my morning.

Thank you.
(shiznak@Jun 17 2008, 08:00 PM)
Kesler was lucky to score 20 this year since the injury to Morrison allowed him to do so.

I doubt Kesler would ever break 15 goals in his career again.

#25 Kanucklehead10

Kanucklehead10

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:03 AM

You don't think every team don't realized the pressure of a young kid that's been taken in the first round?
Ok, How is the media any different in Montreal,N.Y or Toronto? Look back in Montreal's history on how much pressure they put on a 1 st round pick . Guy Lafluer, Doug Wichenheiser were prime examples. Except one took a three years to developed and the other never materialized to his expectation. Hey I remember Bob Gainey wasn't a popular pick either . Every draft pick is a crap shoot.
Why feel sorry for Horvat?We don't know the kid and his potential? We don't know how strong this kid is mentally. That's why you developed your players accordingly so they don't feel the pressure of carrying the team all the time .I don't know what you expect, but I believe your reading way into the media and fans when it comes to expectation from this kid. Its not like we expect this kid to jump in and make an immediate impact. Look it took the Sedins ,Schneider, Kesler some time to developed and they turned out ok.

What I do know is that all those teams have won a Stanley cup and the Canucks have not. I would assume it would be a bit different and there to be extra pressure on top prospects from fans in a cup hungry city like VAN to win one. Especially when Mike Gillis traded your all star goalie of the future (and the present) for 1 prospect that MIGHT pan out to be a good player in the next two years; in other words, the team didn't get any better now than it was before the trade. I think Bo Horvat will be a solid player but I'm simply saying that if the canucks fail to meet their expectations next year and Horvat doesn't make a good impression at camp and the preseason THIS year (basically, doesn't make the team), knowing Vancouver fans, you don't think they won't ask for the GM's head when Schneider is being the saviour of the devils? Saying that Horvat isn't good enough we needed better players, "we could've gotten more"..... Ever since the Kassian/Hodgson trade, all I hear is "fire MG", "Kassian sucks", "Kassian is a bust", and "Why'd we trade Kassian for Hodgson again?", whenever he's not playing like they expect him to be a superstar. I'm just worried that whenever Bo Horvat fails to please the fans, people will continuously bring up "the trade" as they have been already and that it will effect his confidence for development; at a young age, it's easy to gain AND lose confidence. I'm just saying that I hope fans will be patient with him even though he was traded for a star goalie because he IS only 18.

#26 Kanucklehead10

Kanucklehead10

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:06 AM

little harsh dont you think? whats with the personal attack? usually when that happens the attacker doesnt have enough knowledge to back up an opinion or argument. so ill take that as a compliment and a win because I think you know deep down inside that this was a useless thread.

so... you like being a queef fart? awesome, whatever floats your boat.

#27 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,295 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:10 AM

so... you like being a queef fart? awesome, whatever floats your boat.

how does it feel that a "queef fart" like I has more hockey knowledge than yourself?

you remind me of another user. bloodykanucklehead I think it was. you wouldn't happen to be related would you

Edited by Gooseberries, 09 July 2013 - 08:12 AM.

Posted Image

#freetorts

-Credit to blueberries-

#28 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,214 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:13 AM

Schneider wasn't that important to me. He lost 4 out of 5 play off games while he was here. He was just another player. Once they are gone, I don't care anymore. I only care about the Canucks.

Bo knows hockey.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#29 Kanucklehead10

Kanucklehead10

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:16 AM

There really isn't anything to argue with you're prior comment. You were just trying to be a smart-ass, but don't worry, the title of queef fart still belongs to you and even better since you take it as a compliment!

#30 Kanucklehead10

Kanucklehead10

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:17 AM

how does it feel that a "queef fart" like I has more hockey knowledge than yourself?

you remind me of another user. bloodykanucklehead I think it was. you wouldn't happen to be related would you

You just admitted to being a queef fart. That's all I needed.

Edited by Kanucklehead10, 09 July 2013 - 08:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.