The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks vs Edmonton - October 18th

Edler's Mind Tricks

I liked Gaunce, Defazio, Garrison, Santorelli, Richardson, Sedins and Kass today.

Gaunce was very involved tonight. He made some good, sound plays offensively and I really noticed his defensive awareness, whether it was covering for a pinching dman, checking sticks or intercepting a pass. I thought he was suppose to play left wing tonight? He played like a center in the offensive zone (letting wingers pursue the puck while he stayed the high forward). Anyways I'm pleased with how he performed today. Hope he keeps it up.

Defazio was energetic and he was also someone you could hear the Shorty mention quite a bit. Don't know much about him or his history so can't comment much further. He was noticeable in a good way.

Garrison had the g-bomb going. Seemed to be holding back just a tad (probably because it's pre-season) but damn is his shot still a bomb. Noticed him pinching and being physical which was nice. Hoping for a big year from him.

Santorelli had some nice plays offensively, he was utilized as a defenseman when we were down to 4 in the 2nd period, and he fared alright for someone who hasn't played that position. He'd be a nice extra forward or rotating fourth liner, has the makings of a solid utility player.

Richardson won faceoffs and contributed some offensive chances. Didn't notice any major mistakes from him. Good all around player who I wouldn't mind as our third line center, however based on what Gaunce has shown so far, I'd prefer him over Richardson.

Sedins and Kass. I really really liked this line. They were buzzing on the powerplay and for one pp they kept it into the zone for round a minute and 30 seconds? Even though we were trailing 4-1 at that point, that powerplay really got me pumped, it's only a matter of time before that line gets on the scoresheet, I'm excited if that's the line we're going with come regular season.

Sedins did good on the penalty kill (had some odd man rushes, shorthanded goals this season anyone?) and Kass was also tried on the PK with Gaunce as his forward partner...I remember Kass intercepting a cross ice pass on the PK, he's quite a bit ahead of where he was last season defensively in my opinion.

I'm pretty happy with some of the performances, though the outcome didn't really show it.

Other notes:

-Bo n Hunter were alright. Not as noticeable but not invisible.

-Jensen didn't do much at all. I only noticed him when I looked for him and when he got rocked by Brown. Hoping he steps it up, and shows he's worth a look in the regular season.

-Tanev got rocked by hits, just like last season, may wear him down in a full 82 game schedule.

-I liked what our assistant coaches were doing, seemed to be communicating a lot with our players and understood it was just a preseason game.

It was a solid team effort after the first. The slow start was understandable, most of the team was playing for the first time in a while whereas the Oilers players had already played 3-4 games. Also, it was Luongo's first time playing with the smaller pads. In the second and 3rd periods I really liked our game. Was extremely impressed by Shinkaruk, and Richardson's hustle was nice to see.

Archived