The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Northern Gateway Pipeline KILLED

Warhippy

Money changes everything. Way of the world.

Not my point at all. I was wondering where the press (and general angst) is that one would expect to be accompanying this change of stance from the BC Liberals. I have seen nothing on it except for warhippy's assertion in the OP.

I am actually a first nations individual. I carry a card or status id. I have ancestral lands in Manitoba and a recognized band.

If in fact you think the federal government can push a pipeline through first nations land, you are the one who is sadly mistaken. Federal and provincial law are all well and good, but without first nations consent, unanimous consent from the many bands along the proposed route, nothing gets done

This is true. I was wondering myself how the feds can just "push through" aboriginal titled lands. These titles were granted by the Crown many years ago and have stood up in the SCOC many times...

no it isn't because you don't stop a project this massive or any other project based on hypotheticals or what if's

Huh,

Yet Alberta is demanding BC stop the building of proposed Dam Site C because it may or may not affect wetlands and caribou/elk runs on the Alberta side....yet just approved the Jackpine project which will destroy almost 4800 hectares or acres of the last viable wetlands in the area.

You just don't stop a project right

Anyone against Oil just stop using it all together. good luck surviving.

I just wonder when you idiots spout off this nonsense, are you actually thinking? Do you actually believe what you say? Or are you just trolling...Cause it's such an inane argument that I want to think you're trolling, but I fear you're not.

Have you studied the history of any peoples other than your own? Do you think you are the only society that was invaded, displaced, taken advantage of?

What happened in North America to the First Nations was a travesty but really, was it any worse than what happened in the Highland clearances of Scotland by the British (my ancestors) Genocide and racial discrimination that has taken place for millennia all over the world? How about South Africa? The apartheid regime was brutal. The ANC didn't ask for VETO for the wrongs they suffered, they chose to participate in the democratic process of their country. Living within a democratic society while expecting to be immune from its policies and economics, only drives wedges between us all.

If your telling me your British.. Makes sense.

CSIS will be knocking on your door soon. War is a bad thing and people die. Protest all you want, as is the right of all Canadians, but put a sock in the war talk.

People are dying left and right standing up for the rights of our people. It is the CANADIAN GOVERNMENT killing them. Yes we are at war- but not with guns. It is the RCMP showing up to the fight with guns.

no it isn't because you don't stop a project this massive or any other project based on hypotheticals or what if's

Look up the precautionary principal sometime. Perhaps you should take up smoking then, I mean hypothetically it may cause you cancer but you don't not do something based on hypotheticals right?

Look up the precautionary principal sometime. Perhaps you should take up smoking then, I mean hypothetically it may cause you cancer but you don't not do something based on hypotheticals right?

considering how many millions of people smoke? apparently not

nice example lol

What greener alternatives? There is none that is enough that will meet the needs of a growing world population. Wind and solar power won't do it. Hydro Electricity may enough but environmentists oppose that as well. Look at the Cite C demand and the opposition to it.

Going to the pockets of corporations? How about the other view? Like Billions of dollars of Royalties to fund health care and and social programs.

Yes there is. I have posted this more than once and it pretty much shows there are no excuses for not knowing or investing in "greener" alternatives. Not all Oil and Gas companies are corrupt money-grubbing evil empires (although most are and unfortunately seem to have a home in Canada) and one in particular (a French O&G company: Total) has invested in an idea spear-headed by a Canadian. Please note that this video is already a year old:

For more information: http://www.ambri.com/

The future isn't all doom and gloom but Canada sure looks bad/corrupt IMO for not stepping up and fully supporting a project like this one (especially since there are many, many more alternatives that could be seriously researched and invested in: http://reginnovations.org/ ). No excuses.

I'm quite neutral around this whole pipeline issue because it seems that any "information" that comes out is instantly discredited from both sides of the debate. It's not very black and white.

So, with that in mind. Is this pipeline breaking any major environmental regulations? Any sneaky tactics utilized to push this through? I'm all for the pipeline as long as it goes under a rigorous evaluation on what its environmental impact is and what's being done to mitigate those impacts.

I don't quite understand the side that is completely against this construction of this (other than the few who have suggested that Kitimat is a potential disaster for this pipeline because of its geography?). How else are we going to fund all the social services we receive on a daily basis? Some have suggested the Norway approach where this project would be taken over by the government, but I don't quite know how that would turn out.

Pipeline aside, one major problem that emerges from this is that were putting close to zero resources and research into clean renewable energy. Oil is a finite resource and it's running out, it's time we set aside some of our time in looking into things like electric cars, fuel cells, etc. We can't just be putting all our eggs in the "oil" basket.

If your telling me your British.. Makes sense.

A dispossessed Scott is hardly one to be considered "British". I guess if you can't argue a point or facts disagree with your argument you just dismiss others with a label. The Scottish have just as much and likely more reasons to despise dislike the English for what was done to them than you. You should read some of that history.

Question for you...If direct action by those opposed to the pipeline is okay because you disagree with the process and outcome, is direct action against you and your supporters also okay? I mean, if everyone is justified in taking "direct action" because they disagree with something, what give you the sole right to it? I's like a serious answer please not another dismissive title thrown back at me. Where do you think this could all end up?

must read

Opponents of Northern Gateway said Friday that the war against the pipeline will now be waged against the federal government, which will decide the project's fate after a federal review panel recommended approval.

A coalition of environmental groups gathered in Vancouver the day after the National Energy Board released its report and recommendations, to say that Calgary-based Enbridge may have had the support of the panel, but not the public.

no-enbridge.jpg

Enbridge Northern Gateway pipeline opposition groups gathered on Friday in Vancouver. (Meera Bains/CBC)

Gerald Amos, chairman of the Friends of Wild Salmon Coalition of northwestern British Columbia, said the federal government made changes to regulatory rules during the review process that affected the outcome and gave cabinet the final say.

"In the bottom of my heart I'm convinced now, and I think a lot of people share this feeling, that our government and its processes no longer belong to the people. They belong to the big oil companies, who have bought and paid for the changes that have been made very recently," said Amos, a former chief of the Haisla Nation near Kitimat, B.C., where the tanker terminal for the project would be built.

'"In the bottom of my heart I'm convinced now, and I think a lot of people share this feeling, that our government and its processes no longer belong to the people."quote here'
- -Gerald Amos, Friends of Wild Salmon

There is a federal election coming in 2015, Amos said, and critics of the project will reach out in the coming months to urge people to "reclaim" their government.

Amos was flanked by representatives of Forest Ethics Advocacy, the Fort St. James Sustainability Coalition, the Living Oceans Society and the United Fishermen and Allied Workers Union as he reacted to the panel report.

'We will continue to listen'

The panel attached 209 conditions to approval, covering everything from protecting caribou habitat to research into how the molasses-like diluted bitumen to be transported in the pipeline would behave in the ocean.

The federal government has 180 days to make a decision.

John Carruthers, president of Northern Gateway Pipelines, said the approval is one more step for the company, which continues to try and address concerns.

"I would think that the panel's report would be a good platform to build upon and will help establish that engagement," he said after the report was released.

"We will continue to listen and continue to respond and be open to make the necessary changes."

'Direct action' an option

Ben West, of Forest Ethics Advocacy, said three options remain to fight the project: legal, political, and direct action.

West said he anticipates First Nations will pursue a legal challenge and in the political arena, he, too, set sights on the federal government.

"If these pipelines are pushed through, this could make Clayoquot Sound look like a walk in the park."
- Best West, Forest Ethics Advocacy

"Any politician who supports the Enbridge pipeline or similar projects is going to play a political price," he said.

"(Prime Minister Stephen) Harper has acted as more of an advocate than a regulator, and I think people are not going to take kindly to the muzzling of scientists and the undermining of democratic process."

He said he hopes it does not come to direct action but "if these pipelines are pushed through, this could make Clayoquot Sound look like a walk in the park."

The Carrier-Sekani Tribal Council, which represents eight First Nations in north-central B.C., said the review process was flawed.

"We knew this, and this is part of the reason we did not participate," Tribal Chief Terry Teegee said in a statement Friday from Prince George.

It's now up to First Nations to ensure the land and water are protected, he said.

"If Harper says yes to Enbridge, it's going to be a long, hot year in 2014," Teegee said. "We're prepared and ready for all possibilities at this poin

must read

Opponents of Northern Gateway said Friday that the war against the pipeline will now be waged against the federal government, which will decide the project's fate after a federal review panel recommended approval.

A coalition of environmental groups gathered in Vancouver the day after the National Energy Board released its report and recommendations, to say that Calgary-based Enbridge may have had the support of the panel, but not the public.

no-enbridge.jpg

Enbridge Northern Gateway pipeline opposition groups gathered on Friday in Vancouver. (Meera Bains/CBC)

Gerald Amos, chairman of the Friends of Wild Salmon Coalition of northwestern British Columbia, said the federal government made changes to regulatory rules during the review process that affected the outcome and gave cabinet the final say.

"In the bottom of my heart I'm convinced now, and I think a lot of people share this feeling, that our government and its processes no longer belong to the people. They belong to the big oil companies, who have bought and paid for the changes that have been made very recently," said Amos, a former chief of the Haisla Nation near Kitimat, B.C., where the tanker terminal for the project would be built.

'"In the bottom of my heart I'm convinced now, and I think a lot of people share this feeling, that our government and its processes no longer belong to the people."quote here'
- -Gerald Amos, Friends of Wild Salmon

There is a federal election coming in 2015, Amos said, and critics of the project will reach out in the coming months to urge people to "reclaim" their government.

Amos was flanked by representatives of Forest Ethics Advocacy, the Fort St. James Sustainability Coalition, the Living Oceans Society and the United Fishermen and Allied Workers Union as he reacted to the panel report.

'We will continue to listen'

The panel attached 209 conditions to approval, covering everything from protecting caribou habitat to research into how the molasses-like diluted bitumen to be transported in the pipeline would behave in the ocean.

The federal government has 180 days to make a decision.

John Carruthers, president of Northern Gateway Pipelines, said the approval is one more step for the company, which continues to try and address concerns.

"I would think that the panel's report would be a good platform to build upon and will help establish that engagement," he said after the report was released.

"We will continue to listen and continue to respond and be open to make the necessary changes."

'Direct action' an option

Ben West, of Forest Ethics Advocacy, said three options remain to fight the project: legal, political, and direct action.

West said he anticipates First Nations will pursue a legal challenge and in the political arena, he, too, set sights on the federal government.

"If these pipelines are pushed through, this could make Clayoquot Sound look like a walk in the park."
- Best West, Forest Ethics Advocacy

"Any politician who supports the Enbridge pipeline or similar projects is going to play a political price," he said.

"(Prime Minister Stephen) Harper has acted as more of an advocate than a regulator, and I think people are not going to take kindly to the muzzling of scientists and the undermining of democratic process."

He said he hopes it does not come to direct action but "if these pipelines are pushed through, this could make Clayoquot Sound look like a walk in the park."

The Carrier-Sekani Tribal Council, which represents eight First Nations in north-central B.C., said the review process was flawed.

"We knew this, and this is part of the reason we did not participate," Tribal Chief Terry Teegee said in a statement Friday from Prince George.

It's now up to First Nations to ensure the land and water are protected, he said.

"If Harper says yes to Enbridge, it's going to be a long, hot year in 2014," Teegee said. "We're prepared and ready for all possibilities at this poin

A little money will change his opinion guaranteed

My people, first off have always lived in this land. We have archaeological evidence to prove us as far back as 15 000 - 18 000 years. Wow.

Secondly- There are far more First Nations communities out there that heavily depend on the natural environment for food sources then you might realize. Salmon, Prawns, Crabs, Bottom Fish.. etc.. The water base between Vancouver- Victoria and Seattle have already been determind to be too poisoned to eat the food from it.. So why pollute the part of BC that actually hasn't been polluted.

I have been dealing with all the racist people through my small town all day. Let me hear more.

I have no idea one person is now speaking for hundreds of thousands of indigenous people, most of whom live east of Alberta and the Yukon.

Archived