The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I know a lot of people are going to laugh... but Tanev reminds me of Gretzky

*Buzzsaw*

Obviously there was not the same quickness of development, Tanev is 24, Gretzky was doing all of his amazing tricks at 18, but still, the way Tanev thinks, the way he shows an ability to learn from his mistakes and continue to develop reminds me of Gretzky.

Both are not particularly imposing physically, but both have the gift of incredible hockey IQ.

Watching Tanev anticipate is a treat. In the Winnipeg game, his defence partner pinched, and the winger who was supposed to go to that position also over committed, and Tanev read the whole situation. Whereas a lot of defencemen would have been out of position, he was already moving towards the vulnerable wing and was in perfect position to break up what would have been a dangerous play.

We all used to think it was just a defence skill... but more and more Tanev is starting to show the same level of anticipation and ability to read the offensive play. And he is doing it without sacrificing his defensive positioning or leaving the team vulnerable.... it's all about timing, and Tanev really has the IQ to know just when to make the move.

I have a feeling that he has been laying back watching and remembering, and now has decided he understands the whole flow of play well enough that he is confident in starting to make his moves.

Nothing he does is on a whim or without careful consideration. He does everything only when he is totally sure of himself.

I came in here to laugh at you cause as awesome as tanev is he is nothing like the great one. Then I read your post and saw what you were saying that on the pure basic level of reading the play and understanding hockey tanev plays in a similar mindset. I kind of agree with you but sadly think you will get flamed just cause people won't bother reading the entire thing.

Ok, I'm not saying Tanev is going to score like Gretzky or even like Coffey...

I'm saying he has a similar gift of being able to read the situation on the ice instantly, slow down time effectively, and be able to make the right play.

Very few players have that gift.

Wait what? His ability to learn from his mistakes and continuing development reminds you of Gretzky how? What mistake did Gretzky make that he had to learn from. And how did Gretzky develope exactly? I know he was before my time but it seems to me like he was greatness out of the gate.Doughty or Lidstrom maybe but 99...?

its easy to pick out the greatest assets of every player out there. tanev is in a select group with guys like gretzky, francis, larionov and the sedins whose greatest assets are their ability to think and learn the game.

none of those guys are the biggest, strongest, fastest or most skilled, but look where they are now anyway.

Lol I agree with u op that tanevs smarts are very high but comparing him to Gretzky made me laugh. Maybe u should of compared him to

Another d man lol.. His skating is what impresses me the most, along with his hockey iq. If I were

Gillis I'd be locking him up long

Term with a contract like

Harmonic got.. 3.5 mil per over 6 years

Archived