The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Everything Bitcoin Thread

2 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Better off putting 10k in a reliable investment instead of some fad that flip flops all over the place every week

100 % this.

My dad  used to put way too much money on start ups....  typically lost on pretty much every deal.

Changed his approach and then did very well......    always used to say to me to buy industry leaders...

His favourite were CDN bank stocks that paid a nice dividend on top of the appreciation....  

On 2/5/2018 at 8:38 PM, TGokou said:

I'm actually of the belief that bitcoin will drop to around the $2000 (maybe slightly below) and level off. While I won't put money into it until I see a bottom form, I think the whole cryptocurrency still has another run to go before it ends. I am solely basing this on the market cap, which at it's peak hit something like 700billion which is actually quite small compared to previous bubbles. I believe the dot.com bubble hit a market cap of around 6-8 trillion after inflation so theoretically there's still a lot of stupid money that can invest in this.

Still early but my prediction still has legs and probably won't bottom out until end of the year or early next year. This will most likely apply to all the other cryptocurrencies as well. None of them will rebound until bitcoin rebounds imo.

On 2018-03-29 at 11:48 PM, Lancaster said:

Anyone ever heard of DasCoins?

I'm not crypto expert, but it sounds like a scam.... yet my mom is gung-ho about forking over $10k for some license or whatever.  

dissuade her. where'd she even hear about it?

side note: newegg accepts bitcoin now

7 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

dissuade her. where'd she even hear about it?

side note: newegg accepts bitcoin now

Via a friend or whatever.

I think she may have already pulled the trigger even when I told her not to.....

She just kept going on and on about how much money can be made and that I should just listen to the presentation or whatever to "understand".  Good to know how little faith she has for me.... I mean, I only hold a degree in commerce with a specialization in finance and probably going to do my MBA when my son is home and stable... what do I know, eh?

I'm just now thinking what recourse is available, like what paper trail is required before going to the BC Securities Commission or something.  

1 minute ago, Lancaster said:

Via a friend or whatever.

I think she may have already pulled the trigger even when I told her not to.....

She just kept going on and on about how much money can be made and that I should just listen to the presentation or whatever to "understand".  Good to know how little faith she has for me.... I mean, I only hold a degree in commerce with a specialization in finance and probably going to do my MBA when my son is home and stable... what do I know, eh?

I'm just now thinking what recourse is available, like what paper trail is required before going to the BC Securities Commission or something.  

Oh crap....  Rumour has it that DasCoin is a ponzi scheme.  Her "friend" received DasCoins for referring her and getting her to sign up.  That's textbook Ponzi.  I hope she bought it last year and was an early investor or her money is most likely gone if she just joined something so public.  She's going to have to screw over a lot of people that she knows just to even have a chance at getting something back.

The founders of Centra just got arrested by the SEC here in the US for their bogus Initial Coin Offering.  One of the things that Centra claimed, as does DasCoin, is that they have connections to Mastercard and Visa.  They didn't.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/02/technology/virtual-currency-arrest-centra.html

The SEC is also investigating dozens more people/coins for their I.C.O. shenanigans.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/28/technology/initial-coin-offerings-sec.html

• Like 1

the last place i would have expected to find a cryptocurrency thread haha... am a long-time crypto investor and am still very bullish about crypto/blockchain tech despite our current bear market...

Now is a great time to enter if you have spare cash... only invest in projects that could/would survive a crypto apocalypse.. my picks are as follows (note: i do have big holdings in some of these so do your own research)... i'm not a day trader.. only focus on good projects and prefer dividend/staking coins...

bitcoin

ethereum

neo

vechain (my favourite project)

icon

omisego

eos 

currently very bullish on high performance blockchain as well... 

happy hodling guys!

2 hours ago, pharmalaw said:

the last place i would have expected to find a cryptocurrency thread haha... am a long-time crypto investor and am still very bullish about crypto/blockchain tech despite our current bear market...

Now is a great time to enter if you have spare cash... only invest in projects that could/would survive a crypto apocalypse.. my picks are as follows (note: i do have big holdings in some of these so do your own research)... i'm not a day trader.. only focus on good projects and prefer dividend/staking coins...

bitcoin

ethereum

neo

vechain (my favourite project)

icon

omisego

eos 

currently very bullish on high performance blockchain as well... 

happy hodling guys!

one of my big regrets is selling vechain too early. i had a lot very early. i must have thrown away well over 60k in profit had i managed to sell at the top. that's how i learned my lesson to hold rather than panic sell/day trade. that and my initial xrp holding. had i held them, who knows where i'd be today? but i'm still happy.

as an aside, coinbase news today isn't likely to end a bear market right now, but the long term implications of the space continue to be fascinating and profitable. like you say, the bear market is a buying market for the patient.

3 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

How do you guys buy these currencies? Some are dirt cheap like that VeChain. I figure, throw in a few bucks and see what happens. 

I use Binance for trading, buying from Coinbase and sending to Binance. Not the best in terms of the fees you incur but it is the easiest in my experiences

17 hours ago, mdehaan said:

Glad to see this thread has come full circle! 

From - you're an idiot

To - trading tips

:lol:

A member since 2006 and only 500 something posts? 

Also Cryptocurrency is a Ponzi scheme there I had to say it. But having said that blockchain is legit.

I am glad I didn’t go all in. 

Edited by drummer4now

2 hours ago, drummer4now said:

Also Cryptocurrency is a Ponzi scheme there I had to say it. But having said that blockchain is legit.

Uh, what does post count have to do with anything?

22 hours ago, drummer4now said:

is the stock market a ponzi scheme? is gold a ponzi scheme? is collecting literally anything with the intent of gaining value a ponzi scheme?

if bitcoin is a ponzi scheme, so is almost everything else

22 hours ago, drummer4now said:

Just because 1 or 2 coins are building Ponzi-like schemes into their offerings, doesn't mean the rest are bad. 

People just have to be smart in which currency they invest in.  If the currency that's being offered needs it's own investors to literally sell it like DasCoin, which is most definitely a Ponzi scheme that's attached to a coin, it's not a safe investment.