The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Everything Bitcoin Thread

2 hours ago, Toni Zamboni said:

its days like today that are perfect for day trading crypto...tons of volume, great price action and easy momentum plays.

If my funds weren't so tied up I would :(

But i promised I wouldnt let cryptos exceed 1/3 of my portfolio.

Super tempting though...

Edited by themcdeal

42 minutes ago, themcdeal said:

If my funds weren't so tied up I would :(

But i promised I would let cryptos exceed 1/3 of my portfolio.

Super tempting though...

you have to trade large share size to make it viable.....dont risk any more money if yer already tight...just hold and you will be fine long term....markets always bounce back eventually.

Here's all you need to know about the investment bubble, once everyone is talking about something being the next hottest money maker, run to your computer, phone, etc. and sell it as high as possible asap cuz the bubble is about to burst.

Bloody masons rigged the market for it to fall...

The wealthy get richer and the poor get poorer... 

Everytime you invest in these currencies you’re making someone else a 100x richer... while the average investor is left with the scraps. 

The Wolf of Wall Street Jordan Belfort was right about this. 

But having said that the time to buy and pull money out of crap coins and focus on Bitcoin, eltherum, ripple, and litecoin that’s the future in my opinion.

8 hours ago, RonMexico said:

Here's all you need to know about the investment bubble, once everyone is talking about something being the next hottest money maker, run to your computer, phone, etc. and sell it as high as possible asap cuz the bubble is about to burst.

true, but it's a bit more complicated in bitcoin's case because a lot of people don't treat it like an investment in the traditional sense. it's meant to be a new asset class, it's meant to be globally adopted. everyone talking about it is essentially required for stabilization (mass adoption = no more extreme volatility).

in this sense, massive drops like this are good, because they let non-whales increase their share and spread the wealth. unfortunately, it's the get-rich-quick buyers who get so scared and sell at a loss that it just helps those with some familiarity or patience get richer

of course i understand this is ideological and a LOT of people just treat it like an investment. but still.. the entire point of bitcoin IS to have everyone buy it

(but what you're saying still applies in maximizing bitcoin, too: sell at peak hype, re-buy in inevitable crash, etc. so yea, you're right)

Edited by GLASSJAW

As someone who invested/mined in Bitcoin and Litecoin in 2014 and in 2015 I get nailed hard by people at work who think I am losing large right now. Some laugh at my "misfortune" and some feel bad.  Most know very little about any of it, just buy what the MSM is selling.  I just smile and nod.

Will hold on and just see how it all plays out.

I don't want to get into a huge argument about the value of bitcoin as it stands as an asset class. My long term view is that bitcoin and majority of the coins are worthless. Having said that, it wouldn't stop me from investing (or should I say speculate) on it if I felt there was a quick buck to be made. I definitely wouldn't hold long-term though. If I were to purchase I'd wait to see the long-term trend pick back up as that would be the perfect time to buy. I think anyone buying here could be in for a shock as I can see bitcoin go down to $1000-2000 over the course of the year. I would say wait till the dust settles a bit, let the downtrend stabilize and wait for a month or two for an uptrend to pick back up. By that time, FOMO will have ended and you could potentially see another large-scale uptrend. If it does not stabilize, don't buy as it could go down a lot further.

If you look at the 2014-2015 crash it took almost 2 years for the price to stabilize. I'm not saying it'll take this long but in my mind, a technical support has been breached right now and could see a long ride down.

3 hours ago, TGokou said:

I don't want to get into a huge argument about the value of bitcoin as it stands as an asset class. My long term view is that bitcoin and majority of the coins are worthless. Having said that, it wouldn't stop me from investing (or should I say speculate) on it if I felt there was a quick buck to be made. I definitely wouldn't hold long-term though. If I were to purchase I'd wait to see the long-term trend pick back up as that would be the perfect time to buy. I think anyone buying here could be in for a shock as I can see bitcoin go down to $1000-2000 over the course of the year. I would say wait till the dust settles a bit, let the downtrend stabilize and wait for a month or two for an uptrend to pick back up. By that time, FOMO will have ended and you could potentially see another large-scale uptrend. If it does not stabilize, don't buy as it could go down a lot further.

If you look at the 2014-2015 crash it took almost 2 years for the price to stabilize. I'm not saying it'll take this long but in my mind, a technical support has been breached right now and could see a long ride down.

do you know what happened in 2014?

20 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

I do, I $&!# the bed and didn't buy a few grand of it when I was kicking the idea around. It's a bit different now though, not only is it pricier to buy in, but some say it'll crash and others are calling for it to hot 100,000 by end of the year. In my opinion, the fact that its decentralized is both its greatest strength and its greatest weakness. There are no guarantees, and now the risks could be greater due to the higher cost of 1 coin. I get that you can buy fractions, but whats the point if the payoff isn't as rewarding?

11 minutes ago, Green Building said:

I do, I $&!# the bed and didn't buy a few grand of it when I was kicking the idea around. It's a bit different now though, not only is it pricier to buy in, but some say it'll crash and others are calling for it to hot 100,000 by end of the year. In my opinion, the fact that its decentralized is both its greatest strength and its greatest weakness. There are no guarantees, and now the risks could be greater due to the higher cost of 1 coin. I get that you can buy fractions, but whats the point if the payoff isn't as rewarding?

you're right, it's a risky game at this point. but luckily, there's an entire crypto marketplace out there that lets you turn small investments into big ones if you care to learn. at least 80% of my bitcoin holding came from small investments in alt coins. 

but to answer your question: the point is to invest, or to dabble in a (potentially new) asset class and technological shift. why not just put in $20 from each paycheck? when there's a big dip (like the current one) maybe put in $200? and so on. obviously scale this suggestion to your financial situation.

5 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

you're right, it's a risky game at this point. but luckily, there's an entire crypto marketplace out there that lets you turn small investments into big ones if you care to learn. at least 80% of my bitcoin holding came from small investments in alt coins. 

but to answer your question: the point is to invest, or to dabble in a (potentially new) asset class and technological shift. why not just put in $20 from each paycheck? when there's a big dip (like the current one) maybe put in $200? and so on. obviously scale this suggestion to your financial situation.

I can't argue with any of that. It's probably better odds than buying lottery tickets or penny stocks if one does a little homework and gets a bit lucky. I'm certainly not anti-investment. Everyone's got to retire somehow.

7 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

Yes bitcoin crashed from $1000 to just under $300 and stayed that way for over a year. I remember watching it at the time thinking it was going to zero. Obviously I was wrong but I still don't see the value in it as a currency. I think the suggestion that you only put in what you can afford to lose is sound but don't leverage yourself like I hear some people are doing. 

13 hours ago, TGokou said:

This is one of the biggest issues

Many people are in it thinking its an easy way to double or triple their money and have no understanding of the technology, belief or utility of it as a currency. When the price goes down 30% they'll ramble about it being a scam and worthless and will sell panic sell immedietly. When the price goes up 300% they cry about not investing in it.

4 hours ago, TGokou said:

Yes bitcoin crashed from $1000 to just under $300 and stayed that way for over a year. I remember watching it at the time thinking it was going to zero. Obviously I was wrong but I still don't see the value in it as a currency. I think the suggestion that you only put in what you can afford to lose is sound but don't leverage yourself like I hear some people are doing. 

do you know WHY it crashed, i mean?

it was a complete anomaly. not something that should be used to measure the price today