The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What happened to Alex Edler?

VIC_CITY

He was a steal of a draft pick, becoming our new Mattias Ohlund with potential to be even better. Potential that he lived up to for quite some time...+ shot, + passer, + hitter...now the only time he's noticeable is when he's coughing up the puck (which happens a lot!).

Ever since he signed his contract he hasn't played anything like a top pairing dman.

Edler has so much potential it's ridiculous. So what happened to this guy? Is it because of his back injuries?

He was a steal of a draft pick, becoming our new Mattias Ohlund with potential to be even better. Potential that he lived up to for quite some time...+ shot, + passer, + hitter...now the only time he's noticeable is when he's coughing up the puck (which happens a lot!).

Ever since he signed his contract he hasn't played anything like a top pairing dman.

Edler has so much potential it's ridiculous. So what happened to this guy? Is it because of his back injuries?

really he coughs up the puck eh???

check the stats not just your own bias towards the player before you comment on stuff like that the only thing bad about his stats right now is his plus/minus

his points are the same as most of our d-men except garrison plus he has played less games

Back injury, confidence, no high-end partner to play with, isn't being used right, plays against other teams top players,Defensive minded coach, afraid to jump into the rush any of these things can contribute to a lack of offense. and hamhuis of late has played way worst than edler look up how many give aways hamhuis and Bieksa have before you create this topic I bet its double than what edler has, yes I know elder has played less games. Edler is underrated here on CDC but actually plays really well.The only thing that is disappointing me is he is not putting up the number I thought he could put up 30-40 points. Plus he plays really bad on the PP doesn't shoot,can never seem to kept the puck in (always rolls over his stick) and always could that Fracking drop pass to Kes or Hank which is so predictable the other teams player might as well stand at our blue line and wait for edler to pass him `the puck

check the stats not just your own bias towards the player before you comment on stuff like that the only thing bad about his stats right now is his plus/minus

his points are the same as most of our d-men except garrison plus he has played less games

Are we watching the same games? He coughs up the puck more than anyone else on the team. He also went from scoring 0.59 pts per game in 2011-2012, down to 0.48 last year and down even further to to 0.34 this year. Also, when was the last time you saw him throw a big body check? I can keep going...

He certainly hasn't been as good defensively this year as he was in years previous, however he's a point getter, not a defensive stalwart. He's not Weber or Suter, nor is paid like them. I agree he has to improve, but I disagree that he is as bad as you feel he is.

Are we watching the same games? He coughs up the puck more than anyone else on the team. He also went from scoring 0.59 pts per game in 2011-2012, down to 0.48 last year and down even further to to 0.34 this year. Also, when was the last time you saw him throw a big body check? I can keep going...

He isn't having a career year that is for sure.

I don't think we are...With a full season he would probably be 1st in hits on Van and his turnovers are nowhere near as many as Bieksa and Hammer as has been said already...Points are down but its not the end of the world as you and many claim

That being said, Edler's potential is still there. He has more top-end ability than any other Canuck defenseman.

I totally agree...but he's playing like he got punched in the brain! Physically, it's all there. He should be dominating but he seems to be lost mentally. We've all seen what he can do...but he doesn't do it! He needs to be more selfish, more physical and more mentally sound. That's 3 things!! 3 = too many.

It's easier if the mods just lock it for being redundant. Posters like the OP aren't going to change their minds after others like you and I have repeated shown that's not the case.

Archived