The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It is, but what happens when he isn't scoring?

He's helping others score? Controlling the puck with a good possession game in the offensive zone? Using his speed and hockey IQ to create turnovers?

He doesn't have to be a wrecking ball to be effective outside of goals scored.

He's helping others score? Controlling the puck with a good possession game in the offensive zone? Using his speed and hockey IQ to create turnovers?

He doesn't have to be a wrecking ball to be effective outside of goals scored.

So, you're pretty much hoping he has the puck whenever he's on the ice.

Ritchie isn't being considered at 6th because he's a big fat guy with no talent, please stop with this nonsense.

He has lots of speed and talent and can physically dominate as well, that is why pro scouts like him, he has the whole package.

Size and weight are not the benchmarks of success, but they are two descriptors of the ingredients necessary for a successful power forward.

Everyone knows the old maxim, "It is not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog".

Obviously there are players (like Dustin Brown - second smallest King) who bring a lot to the contest without being the biggest players.

Size and weight are just some of the indicators that scouts look for and if a player has them, those boxes are checked off.

While they are highly skilled, neither Nylander or Ehlers bring size, weight, or "fight".

You can ask the rest of the team to look after this type of player as long as you do not have too many of them and only if they are good enough to be elite players.

Nylander may be creeping up into the top 6 in a weak draft and Ehlers has moved up as well, but it is unlikely that they are in that very top class or they would be rated there, especially in a weak draft. This is where the risk becomes less acceptable. If they do not end up being top class, we cannot afford to keep them on the team.

Ritchie is way less risky because he is much more likely to play somewhere in the lineup even if he does not become a top power forward.

I personally am tired of throwing away our top picks hoping someone will make the team.

I think we were lucky to be able to dump Hodgson and get such a good return for him.

Schroeder we can only hope shows well enough to interest someone else; it is very unlikely he will be a top centre for us.

Let's not waste another 2 or 3 years hoping another flyweight will somehow put on 30 pounds and grow a couple inches, and/or magically turn into Pat Kane or Pavel Bure.

[And what is with the height and weight discrepancies from a month ago?

Nylander and Ehlers sure grew taller and added a lot of "fat" since this thread started, according to some on here.

Recently-absent (thank Mod) Absent Canuck had Ehlers at about 6 feet and 195 after the combine, from what? 5-10 162 or something?]

I also do not think that Benning will waste the quality of assets required to move up in this draft.

I think they will make a good choice at 6 (and it might be Nylander, who knows?) and be satisfied with that.

Then they will go on to make very good choices throughout the rest of the draft.

Crawford did a good/great job of that last year and Benning can only help us do even better.

If Nylander and Ehlers are as good as some here suggest, they may go before our pick at 6 and therefore we can opt for perhaps Dal Colle or Draisaitl.

I'm not sold on Bennett, don't know much about him but was extremely disappointed with his strength test results (and we already have an American centre who can't reconcile playing for the Canucks and Team USA).

Can't see Ekblad or Reinhart still being available but of course we would take them if they were.

Bottom line then is: Ritchie, unless Dal Colle or Draisaitl falls to us.

Where is big bad Kyle Beach then...

I'm watching the finals and the flashiest goal last game was scored by Dustin Brown. But wait, he's not small or known for his pure offensive abilities.

It's like... Wait, what?... Bit hitting guys can possess skill as well?

Who knew?

I don't know about you guys, but i'm done with the upselling job being done with guys like Schroeder and Rodin. Drafting for, yup, speed and scoring, despite lack of NHL-ready size or elite skill. With Nylander and Ehlers, i see much of the same. Perhaps a more legit upside with these kids, but a Hemsky-esque one.

Perhaps Linden and Benning are here now to correct the massive errors we've performed in past drafts. Let us hope.

Schroeder was not picked for his speed or top end skill ( you can't compare his speed or skill to Nylander or Ehlers), Rodin is not a 1st rounder so you can't compare him to 1st rounders Nylander and Ehlers.

Horvat was slow and underachieved in the world juniors, memorial cup, and through out the playoffs. Everyone is so high on him because MG made a stupid trade for Schneider and an even stupider move by not picking Nishkushin. Yes he's good at face offs and great defensively, but that #2 center spot should belong to Henrik in 3 years and it's not difficult to get a #3 center. Or use Cassels, Gaunce, FA pickup

If we can get a future #1 center that happens to be from Vancouver, pull the trigger.

Up until the final week we would have picked

Anywhere from #6-14. We need to stop saying ohhh it's EHLERS and Horvat for Reinhart!

We were lucky to even get that pick, if we can turn it into a franchise center then do it, it might be our only chance to draft a true #1

Ryan O'Reilly was slow in Juniors as well. But he has great hockey sense and a solid defensive base.

It's way easier for Horvat to step in and make an impact than Nichushkin.

I'm not talking only scoring. What separates players like Horvat, Bergeron and O'Reilly from guys like Ovechkin and Nichushkin is that they make an impact on all aspects of the game.

you keep pumping his tires but show no indications of ever seeing him play.

Every other one of your posts something like "we need to pick nylander" or "nylander is the most skilled"

Yeah I've seen him play, and I have the right to show my opinion with or without reason. And as for you my friend you always seem to be going around the threads trolling and spreading negativity.

Nylander, Ritchie, Ehlers, Virtanen... none of these guys really appeal to me. They all have second line potential but we need top end talent. We need to trade up and get Reinhart or Ekblad.

Nylander is said to have the most offensive potential in the draft

Yeah I've seen him play, and I have the right to show my opinion with or without reason. And as for you my friend you always seem to be going around the threads trolling and spreading negativity.

Just a little more substance would be appreciated that's all

Nylander, Ritchie, Ehlers, Virtanen... none of these guys really appeal to me. They all have second line potential but we need top end talent. We need to trade up and get Reinhart or Ekblad.

Nylander is likely a first liner if he reaches his potential.

He has the biggest boom or bust factor though IMO.

^^

What are your sources for those claims?

From what I've read about him including comments from his coaches in Sweden, his defense needs work like most young players, but effort is not a concern.

My eyes. Watching him play reveals an utter lack of interest in playing defense, and he's exceptionally weak on the puck. But he's also fast and skilled with the puck. Forget Nick Backstrom, think Robert Nilsson. This guy did:

http://www.flyerdelphia.com/2014/04/2014-draft-eligibles-william-nylander-is-following-in-the-footsteps-of-his-father.html

There have been concerns about his father micromanaging his career all season long. It's why he's not the consensus #1 pick anymore. That along with his lack of size and strength. Note how it all became about playing with his father by the end of the season? More like it wasn't really working out for him in Modo SHL, where he (deservedly) wasn't getting much of an opportunity to showcase his mad skillz, so why not take off to a lesser league to play with dear ol' dad, right?

The guy in the article nailed it. The sell job has people saying he's the best guy to come out of Sweden since Nick Backstrom. Truth is he's not even close to Backstrom-level skill or strength.

There's two potential paths for Nylander:

1. He goes to a team that coddles him and gives him a shot to play a pure offense, no defense role and he may succeed until he gets steamrolled by a big hit. Filatov, worst-case. Skinner, best-case.

2. He goes to a team that wants him to develop his strength and defensive ability before he gets a real shot at NHL time. He does this to show that he's willing to do what it takes, but after years of not making the cut regardless, he grows quite restless an starts complaining to his agent and father about how he's not getting the shot/role he deserves. He is then traded to a team that starts coddling him. Filatov, worst-case. Coho, best-case.

My eyes. Watching him play reveals an utter lack of interest in playing defense, and he's exceptionally weak on the puck. But he's also fast and skilled with the puck. Forget Nick Backstrom, think Robert Nilsson. This guy did:

http://www.flyerdelphia.com/2014/04/2014-draft-eligibles-william-nylander-is-following-in-the-footsteps-of-his-father.html

There have been concerns about his father micromanaging his career all season long. It's why he's not the consensus #1 pick anymore. That along with his lack of size and strength. Note how it all became about playing with his father by the end of the season? More like it wasn't really working out for him in Modo SHL, where he (deservedly) wasn't getting much of an opportunity to showcase his mad skillz, so why not take off to a lesser league to play with dear ol' dad, right?

The guy in the article nailed it. The sell job has people saying he's the best guy to come out of Sweden since Nick Backstrom. Truth is he's not even close to Backstrom-level skill or strength.

There's two potential paths for Nylander:

1. He goes to a team that coddles him and gives him a shot to play a pure offense, no defense role and he may succeed until he gets steamrolled by a big hit. Filatov, worst-case. Skinner, best-case.

2. He goes to a team that wants him to develop his strength and defensive ability before he gets a real shot at NHL time. He does this to show that he's willing to do what it takes, but after years of not making the cut regardless, he grows quite restless an starts complaining to his agent and father about how he's not getting the shot/role he deserves. He is then traded to a team that starts coddling him. Filatov, worst-case. Coho, best-case.

While everything you say might be correct about his lack of defense, he might still end up being the best offensive player in this draft. Regardless of how his father might or might not be coddleing him, he was playing with men this year, something that cannot be undervalued and when he did play against his peers in the WJC -18 he dominated. He could well become a Filatov but nothing points to that being more likely than a Skinner IMO.

I wouldn't be surprised if a team takes a chance on him in the top 5 and think if he is availible at 6 Benning and Co will have to take a long hard look at him.

Archived