The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Weight of entire roster is between 190 and 230 pounds.

Nylander looks like a beauty; but you can only carry so many smaller players.

FYI, he's 18 years old and is currently 5'11" and ~180lbs. As he gets in to his early-mid 20's he should easily be 6'+ and 190lbs+.

That may be on the lower end of your "acceptable" scale there but it's not "small" in any way shape or form.

In other words I wouldn't be terribly worried about his size, it's not a concern IMO. If he's the most skilled guy left when we're picking (ie: Drais, MDC etc are gone), we're picking him IMO.

I still want NYI's 5th.

The Canucks don't need another big physical powerforward up front. Ritchie and Virtanen are tempting, but this prospect pool has enough of them. Jensen, Kassian, Horvat and Gaunce are big and strong scorers - what this prospect pool needs is skill, and especially down the middle. We have no one to replace Henrik Sedin as a top line center and these franchise players are hard to come by through free agency. We could trade a defenceman for one, throw our picks away at one or try and draft one and this season we actually have a good stab at some.

Just look at the Kings. Yes, they have Brown and Kopitar who are physical beasts, and they have giants like King and Nolan in their bottom-6 who can score gritty goals, but these powerforwards are complemented by an even number of purely skilled guys who rarely hit or play dirty hockey - Gaborik and Williams. Ideally, we'd find players who fit both moulds (Kopitar/Getzlaf/Toffoli/Malkin mould) but this is a rarity, and while Virtanen and Ritchie look like they may be able to score at high levels in junior, it's often a completely different game in the big leagues, which is where many powerforwards fall down.

There are far more skilled players out there in the draft than Ritchie and Virtanen which is what we want to target this draft, and I'm not just talking about Nylander and Ehlers.

Kapanen and Nylander are very possibly going to go in the top-5 (Ehlers might surprise a few and go top-5 too). Obviously Ekblad and Reinhart are going in the top-3. Sam Bennett's stock may have fallen a bit after not being able to do a pull-up at the Combine, but he's still an elite player and will definately go in the top-5. That means the Canucks are pretty much going to get a shot to draft Draisaitl (if Nylander and Kapanen both go in the top-5), MDC (if only one of the European forwards go early), Nylander or heck even Kapanen. We have no need to target Ritchie or Virtanen with the top-5 quality that's out there and the fact that one of them will likely fall.

We have 1 powerforward in our prospect pool. 1, and that's Kassian. Boston had 2 when they won the Stanley Cup 3 years ago. Jensen is big, but he's by no means physically dominant. He's not a powerforward. He's just big and skilled. Horvat and Gaunce are centers, so they shouldn't even be considered competitors to Ritchie/Virtanen. I agree that we don't have a prospect of 1st line calibre, but to be honest the only player in this draft, outside the projected top5 with true 1st line calibre is Nylander. Not saying we shouldn't take him, but that's pretty much how it is. You draft the best player available, regardless of organisational needs. That's what we have to do. You don't target just skill. If management likes Ritchie more than Nylander, then i have no problem with them drafting him. He would be a good fit. Also, please don't bring up the "Kyle Beach syndrome" just because a powerforward is doing good in juniors. This is something that has probably been discussed for about 100 pages at least.
I think Nylander could go top5 because of his high upside. Kapanen? Absolutely no way. Ehlers could maybeee go top5, but i wouldn't hold my breath if i were you.

Perlini is severely under rated on CDC....

he is top 10 in almost all scouts list and he did very very well on combine

I liked Perlini before his weak playoff performance. You don't judge him entirely because of that, but definitely made him less atractive, at least for me. I would definitely consider him around 10, but not at 6th.

When I look at Nylander Physically he looks like he has the most room to grow.

He looks younger than everybody else, and that might be a good indicator that he will mature physically into a slightly taller thicker person. If he grows to 1 inch and 30 pounds he will be almost the same size as Horvat.

But fast as shi*

When I look at Nylander Physically he looks like he has the most room to grow.

He looks younger than everybody else, and that might be a good indicator that he will mature physically into a slightly taller thicker person. If he grows to 1 inch and 30 pounds he will be almost the same size as Horvat.

But fast as shi*

30lbs might be a bit optimistic. But him adding 10-20lbs of muscle over the next few years is not out of the question.

He'll likely be 190-200 in his prime which is just fine IMO.

Honestly, if we can acquire a mid-late 1 round pick I'd like to draft Sonny Milano. The kid is actually 5'11.5 and 183 pounds so I wouldn't say he's "undersized."

He could be the steal of the draft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz0dX8SPyC0

I guess you could say he's Sonny with a Chance. :bigblush:

here is my best case scenario at the draft. kesler to the ducks for shea theodore 10th and 24th. package the 10th hanson and tanev maybe a 3rd next year to florida, they want kasper kappinen and should be there at 10th. we draft reignhart 1st overall nylander at 6th and either dangelo or sanheim at 24th. shea replaces tanev dangelo could be the gem of this draft if he gets his shit together and sanheim looks like a late bloomer with star potential. people nedd to realize that if tallon wants kasper and if they know he will be around at 10th he can squeeze a little more outta the nucks, but who cares to have the 1st and 6th the 24th and maybe shea theodore is worth losing tanev hanson and a 2nd or 3rd next year. if possible id even trade hammer or garrison instead of tanev but that would be a harder deal to get done. i think sam and willy can both make the team next year along with horvat. buyout booth and sign miller hes on record saying he would come here, send lack to utica for a full year of seasoning and see how markstrom progreses. we cant send markstrom down due to his contract so give him a year as a backup his upside is as big as he is.

Perlini is severely under rated on CDC....

he is top 10 in almost all scouts list and he did very very well on combine

Ya if we had a 9 or 10 pick he would be a great choice just think top 5 or Nylander is better for our team

Honestly, if we can acquire a mid-late 1 round pick I'd like to draft Sonny Milano. The kid is actually 5'11.5 and 183 pounds so I wouldn't say he's "undersized."

He could be the steal of the draft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz0dX8SPyC0

I guess you could say he's Sonny with a Chance. :bigblush:

We need a new USA boy. If he for some weird reason drops to 24(Anaheim maybe giving us this pick), I would grab him in a flash... His stick handling is sick. I think he will be gone by 16 though and we don't have a pick in that range.

I liked Perlini before his weak playoff performance. You don't judge him entirely because of that, but definitely made him less atractive, at least for me. I would definitely consider him around 10, but not at 6th.

Not one single player stood out offensively for Niagara that series, and yet they still took North Bay to 7 games (only team to do so). I mentioned, when Perlini isn't scoring, he does all the little things in his own end to prevent goals. His hockey IQ/sense is far superior than guys like Ritchie, Virtanen, and and Nylander.

Not one single player stood out offensively for Niagara that series, and yet they still took North Bay to 7 games (only team to do so). I mentioned, when Perlini isn't scoring, he does all the little things in his own end to prevent goals. His hockey IQ/sense is far superior than guys like Ritchie, Virtanen, and and Nylander.

Better hockey IQ than Nylander? Hmmmm really?

I believe the top 10 looks like this for every team in the top 6 in the order left to right:

Florida- Ekblad-Bennett-Reinhart-Ehlers-Nylander-Dal Colle-Ritchie-Virtanen--Draisaitl-Fleury

Buffalo-Reinhart-Bennett-Ekblad-Draisaitl-Nylander-Dal Colle-Ritchie-Virtanen-Ehlers-Tuch

Edmonton-Ekblad-Draisaitl-Reinhart-Bennett-Ritchie-Fleury-Virtanen-Perlini-Tuch-Nylander

Calgary-Ekblad-Bennett-Reinhart-Ritchie-Dal Colle-Virtanen-Perlini-Fleury-Ehlers-Nylander

NYI-Bennett-Ekblad-Dal Colle-Reinhart-Ehlers-Nylander-Ritchie-Perlini-Virtanen-Milano-Fleury

Vancouver-Reinhart-Ekblad-Draisaitl-Bennett-Nylander-Virtanen-Ritchie-Perlini-Kapanen-Fleury

So barring no trades, the order of the draft would be something like this.

Florida-Ekblad

Buffalo-Reinhart

Edmonton-Draisaitl

Calgary-Bennett

NYI-Dal Colle

Vancouver-Nylander

Now that is only based on draft rankings. There are some other factors that play into this:

-We know Florida wants immediate help to help them make the playoffs as soon as next season.

-Same situation in NYI as Florida, but they want a winger.

-Edmonton is pretty much set on Ekblad or Draisaitl, its almost a fact now.

-Buffalo wants a top end center, someone that can lead their team for the next decade, only piece they are currently missing.

-Calgary doesn't like Draisaitl. Burke has been open about this.

-Vancouver wants to go for Reinhart if possible, but are happy at 6. Want a cornerstone player to build on.

-Rumour is Florida wants Nylander or Ehlers, making a trade down make sense to help get more assets.

-Edmonton is likely to trade one of their top young guns for help on defense (Hall, Eberle, Gagner, Perron, RNH, most likely Yak).

-Vancouver is not trading down. Likely to get picks out of a Kesler trade.

Pretty much, I think the only way we see Reinhart in a Canucks uni is if Kesler is traded before the draft. Expecting something like

To Ana:

Ryan Kesler

Van 2015 3rd Round Pick

To Van:

Shea Theodore

Ott 2014 1st Round Pick (10th OVR)

Ana 2014 1st Round Pick (24th OVR)

Then Flip to Florida on draft day.

To Fla:

Chris Tanev (Immediate help on D + future)

Yannik Hansen (Immediate help on forward depth)

Van 2014 1st Round Pick (6th OVR) (Get to pick Ehlers or Nylander, who they are very high on)

Van 2014 2nd Round Pick (36th OVR)

To Van:

Fla 2014 1st Round Pick (1st Overall)

Fla 2015 Conditional 3rd Round Pick (If Canucks draft pick(Reinhart) doesn't play 25 games for Vancouver in 2014-15 season)

Draft:

1st-Reinhart

10th-Virtanen or Fleury

24th-DeAngelo or Sanheim

I can't wait for draft day!

Anyone else get the feeling Dal Colle may be a bust? I mean he seems to work well around the net and may very well become a 30 goal scorer but I don't think he'll be elite

95 points as a 17 year old is pretty impressive. 39 of which are goals. I watched him on friday night hockey a couple times this year. Him and Cole Cassels stood out every shift. I'd be curious to see if that chemistry can translate at the next level. So no "bust" warnings for me yet. IMO the Canucks should jump at the opportunity if hes around at #6

here is my best case scenario at the draft. kesler to the ducks for shea theodore 10th and 24th. package the 10th hanson and tanev maybe a 3rd next year to florida, they want kasper kappinen and should be there at 10th. we draft reignhart 1st overall nylander at 6th and either dangelo or sanheim at 24th. shea replaces tanev dangelo could be the gem of this draft if he gets his crap together and sanheim looks like a late bloomer with star potential. people nedd to realize that if tallon wants kasper and if they know he will be around at 10th he can squeeze a little more outta the nucks, but who cares to have the 1st and 6th the 24th and maybe shea theodore is worth losing tanev hanson and a 2nd or 3rd next year. if possible id even trade hammer or garrison instead of tanev but that would be a harder deal to get done. i think sam and willy can both make the team next year along with horvat. buyout booth and sign miller hes on record saying he would come here, send lack to utica for a full year of seasoning and see how markstrom progreses. we cant send markstrom down due to his contract so give him a year as a backup his upside is as big as he is.

Where did you hear that Tallon wants Kappanen? Thats interesting if true. I've been hearing that he covets Ehlers. Tallon drafted Patrick Kane and he see's a lot of similarities between the 2. He knows he can get Ehlers at 6, but at 10 he might be gone. However, if its Kappanen he wants then a 10th pick would work. Just not sure if trading Kesler to a division rival will work for Benning

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

He has the highest bust potential of the top 15. IMO, Perlini is going to bust.

You can quote me and make me look silly in a few years if he's a regular NHLer.

I believe the top 10 looks like this for every team in the top 6 in the order left to right:

Florida- Ekblad-Bennett-Reinhart-Ehlers-Nylander-Dal Colle-Ritchie-Virtanen--Draisaitl-Fleury

Buffalo-Reinhart-Bennett-Ekblad-Draisaitl-Nylander-Dal Colle-Ritchie-Virtanen-Ehlers-Tuch

Edmonton-Ekblad-Draisaitl-Reinhart-Bennett-Ritchie-Fleury-Virtanen-Perlini-Tuch-Nylander

Calgary-Ekblad-Bennett-Reinhart-Ritchie-Dal Colle-Virtanen-Perlini-Fleury-Ehlers-Nylander

NYI-Bennett-Ekblad-Dal Colle-Reinhart-Ehlers-Nylander-Ritchie-Perlini-Virtanen-Milano-Fleury

Vancouver-Reinhart-Ekblad-Draisaitl-Bennett-Nylander-Virtanen-Ritchie-Perlini-Kapanen-Fleury

So barring no trades, the order of the draft would be something like this.

Florida-Ekblad

Buffalo-Reinhart

Edmonton-Draisaitl

Calgary-Bennett

NYI-Dal Colle

Vancouver-Nylander

Now that is only based on draft rankings. There are some other factors that play into this:

-We know Florida wants immediate help to help them make the playoffs as soon as next season.

-Same situation in NYI as Florida, but they want a winger.

-Edmonton is pretty much set on Ekblad or Draisaitl, its almost a fact now.

-Buffalo wants a top end center, someone that can lead their team for the next decade, only piece they are currently missing.

-Calgary doesn't like Draisaitl. Burke has been open about this.

-Vancouver wants to go for Reinhart if possible, but are happy at 6. Want a cornerstone player to build on.

-Rumour is Florida wants Nylander or Ehlers, making a trade down make sense to help get more assets.

-Edmonton is likely to trade one of their top young guns for help on defense (Hall, Eberle, Gagner, Perron, RNH, most likely Yak).

-Vancouver is not trading down. Likely to get picks out of a Kesler trade.

Pretty much, I think the only way we see Reinhart in a Canucks uni is if Kesler is traded before the draft. Expecting something like

To Ana:

Ryan Kesler

Van 2015 3rd Round Pick

To Van:

Shea Theodore

Ott 2014 1st Round Pick (10th OVR)

Ana 2014 1st Round Pick (24th OVR)

Then Flip to Florida on draft day.

To Fla:

Chris Tanev (Immediate help on D + future)

Yannik Hansen (Immediate help on forward depth)

Van 2014 1st Round Pick (6th OVR) (Get to pick Ehlers or Nylander, who they are very high on)

Van 2014 2nd Round Pick (36th OVR)

To Van:

Fla 2014 1st Round Pick (1st Overall)

Fla 2015 Conditional 3rd Round Pick (If Canucks draft pick(Reinhart) doesn't play 25 games for Vancouver in 2014-15 season)

Draft:

1st-Reinhart

10th-Virtanen or Fleury

24th-DeAngelo or Sanheim

I can't wait for draft day!

Burke has made only one negative comment about Draisaitl and four positive ones.

Calgary will take him at #4 if Ekblad, Reinhart, and Bennett are gone.

My guess is that Edmonton takes Draisaitl and Calgary will get Bennett.

IMO, Vancouver should sit tight at #6 and draft Nylander.

Draft day won't come soon enough for me either.

Archived