The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo, Kesler, Edler - With The Rebuild On, Who's Next?

Vancouver Canucks 30

With the rebuild seemingly on in Vancouver and Luongo, Kesler, and Edler out or on the way out, who else will be traded in the coming months?

David Booth?

Likely to be the Canucks second and final compliance buyout this off-season joining Keith Ballard.

Alex Burrows?

Despite his terrible 2013-14 season he still likely holds decent trade value. Perhaps his hometown (and contending) Montreal Canadiens would be interested or reuniting with Alain Vigneault in New York.

Kevin Bieksa?

Despite his NTC, Bieksa is on the wrong side of 30 and seeing one of his best friends in Kesler moving out and potentially another in Burrows may mean the writing is on the wall for him as well.

Moving Bieksa out would also open up ice time for right side defenseman Chris Tanev and Frankie Corrado.

Chris Higgins?

Signed long-term at a reasonable cap hit, Higgins could potentially fetch a 2nd round draft pick or decent prospect if he is moved in the next year or two. It would also free up ice time for Nicklas Jensen and Hunter Shinkaruk.

Other possible moving parts of the rebuild could include Dan Hamhuis, Jason Garrison, Jannik Hansen, among others.

So which players would you like to see the Canucks move out and which would you like to stay to bring along the prospects and young roster players?

If the Canucks were able to unload 3 more contracts tomorrow, that would be great. Kesler is gone. I certainly hope Edler is too. As for the third, my preference would be Garrison or Burrows, however I highly doubt Garrison wold waive his NTC. Move as many high end contracts out as possible.

I still see Kesler and Edler being moved. Both hold the max value on the team as it stands. Burrows is a serious possibility. Bieksa, I can see but would hate just because the guy is a captain a warrior and lose him and we are softer than a Gillis trade

I'm having doubts about Kesler being moved now. I hope he is (and Edler too), but I don't see it happening this trade deadline. Maybe in the Summer when teams are re-evaluating where they stand.

I don't see Bieksa being traded and same with Higgins. Higgins is more valuable to us than a 2nd round pick. He plays valuable minutes, has good chemistry with a few players, works hard and is one of the few players having a good year offensively. I think moving Luongo, Kesler and Edler is enough for now. Thats three MAJOR key players from each position; goalie, defence and forward, being moved for prospects/picks. Thats three leaders on this team, too.

I still see Kesler and Edler being moved. Both hold the max value on the team as it stands. Burrows is a serious possibility. Bieksa, I can see but would hate just because the guy is a captain a warrior and lose him and we are softer than a Gillis trade

This. Although with Burrows I don't think we'd get value for him this year. Last year people would have been snapping our hand off if he hit the market.

Apparently Bieksa will absolutely not waive his NTC. He's the one guy who's going nowhere.

I like Kesler, and while I hope he stays, if you are going to rebuild he is your biggest asset to move up front.

Edler because like Kesler, he will have the biggest return on D. Also, I don't think we can afford Hammer, Garrison, Bieksa and Garrison, then offer Tanev what he should make which should be about $3m per. hammer is the most reliable defensivley and Bieksa brings leadership on the back end and feistiness. Garrison, not sure what value he has currently.

The question Is is it a rebuild or retool? After these two, everyone can be had, it just depends on the return.

Apparently Bieksa will absolutely not waive his NTC. He's the one guy who's going nowhere.

wether thats true or not... I dont think bieksa should go anywhere.

the teams defence should be built around hamuis bieksa and tanev thats a solid d-core

as for forwards... thats anyones guess...

I would love to see Garrison dealt. He's a terrible skater that gets caught all the time, he's not overly physical and he doesn't have that much smarts with the puck. All he really brings to the table is his shot, which he either misses the net or never gets through. I at their current salaries I would take Diaz over Garrison, at least Diaz can get his shot through and has some vision with the puck.

Defence should bring at least two tangibles: skating, puck control, defensive awareness, shooting, hitting, fighting, shot blocking

In my opinion all garrison has is his shot. If we could replace Garrison with either a full on puck moving offensive D OR a hard hitting, hard shooting D that would bring more balance to this line up. We have too many of the same type of defence men on this team.

I'm having doubts about Kesler being moved now. I hope he is (and Edler too), but I don't see it happening this trade deadline. Maybe in the Summer when teams are re-evaluating where they stand.

We've tried waiting and patient approach with Luongo and it clearly did not work. The teams in contention are desperate for that one piece to put them over the top and are salivating over Kesler now. Teams with good chance to make the playoffs are looking for ways to improve their team for a deeper cup run and they are eyeing Kesler. I doubt if we will ever get higher value for Kesler than now. We need to sell now as this is the time when the buyers get impulsive.

As for Edler, I doubt if he is traded tomorrow. Teams that want him, for example, Detroit, will not make an impulsive decision and will not overpay to get him. Unless a team massively overpays, which I doubt would happen, he won't be traded.

He has a lot of terms left in the contract (5 years) and he is only 27,28 and entering his prime age. We have no reason to let go of him.

I think there isn't much need to trade more than Edler and Kesler..

Both should fetch 1st rounders + viable pieces

All based on the speculation but assume both are dealt we'd be looking at

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Schenn - Zibenejad - Santorelli

Higgins - Mattias - Kassian

Sestito - Schroeder - Hansen

Still having Horvat, Shinkaruk, Jensen in the system

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Garrison - Tanev

Stanton - Corrado

Diaz

We'd gain a D prospect from trade with PHI probably Morin

Adding 1st round picks from OTT and PHI gives us 3 in 2014 draft.

That's how I see this thing playing out

Sedins and Burrows stock value is at an all time low. Trade them at next year's deadline.

Higgins can be part of the rebuild.

Trade Garrison for a 1st and a blue chip prospect that can come in next season

Keep Bieksa, make him captian

Trade Hamhuis along with Edler, Kesler tomorrow.

Tank for McDavid

if Kesler waived his NTC for The Rangers (which he refused sportsnet claims) , a Kessler - Callahan trade was in the works. They suggest the reason he won't play for Vigneault ever again. Apparently they didn't get along. Would have been an interesting move if not straight up 1 for 1. Gillis might learn something for his next job about making untradeable contracts that ... well Suck.

Kesler is still young enough to be of help if we do this right. That would prob involve moving Edler, he actually has looked good the last lil while. If he keeps it up, could re-spark interest at the draft. I would add our high pick to him and go after a legit forward. Not some question mark we have to worry about possibly making the top 6, a bonafide ****** star in the making. Yakupov, Skinner ect.

Think of a top 9 like this in 3-4 years.

Skinner-Horvat-Kassian

Shinkaruk-Hank-Kesler

Danny-Gaunce-Burr/Jensen

Not so bad, especially if Tanev and Stanton keep on trucking. Would also try to load up on some late 1sts with Higgins, Hansen ect at the deadline. Package them up to move into the top 10 range again and look for another top C prospect.

Archived