The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is next year finally going to be the youth movement?

dontstresskes

I would almost guarantee Horvat is at least on the team. He's too good for another year of Jr. and he's too young to go to Utica.

Sedin, Sedin, ____

____, Kesler, ____

Horvat, Mathias, ____

Sestito, Richardson, ____

That, (pending a Kesler trade that I don't think is going to actually happen) is what's fairly set IMO. Some of those blanks will be filled with Burrows, Higgins, Kassian and maybe Hansen (if Hansen isn't dealt, which I think is far more likely).

That leaves ~2 spots open for prospects and/or UFA's. Ideally one of those top 6 spots is filled by a young but qualified UFA (my guess would be the second line RW meaning a RW or a right shooting C).

That would arguably leave us with:

Sedin, Sedin, Burrows/Kassian

Higgins, Kesler, UFA/prospect

Horvat, Mathias, Burrows/Kassian

Sestito, Richardson, Hansen/Archibald/prospect/UFA etc

Schroeder, Lain, Archibald etc as spares, traded or in Utica.

Personally I doubt any of Guance, Shinkaruk or Jensen are ready for full time top 6 duties and will likely be on Utica and fighting for first call up when injuries arise for at least next year. The following year they might start to make the step up.

I would almost guarantee Horvat is at least on the team. He's too good for another year of Jr. and he's too young to go to Utica.

Sedin, Sedin, ____

____, Kesler, ____

Horvat, Mathias, ____

Sestito, Richardson, ____

That, (pending a Kesler trade that I don't think is going to actually happen) is what's fairly set IMO. Some of those blanks will be filled with Burrows, Higgins, Kassian and maybe Hansen (if Hansen isn't dealt, which I think is far more likely).

That leaves ~2 spots open for prospects and/or UFA's. Ideally one of those top 6 spots is filled by a young but qualified UFA (my guess would be the second line RW meaning a RW or a right shooting C).

That would arguably leave us with:

Sedin, Sedin, Burrows/Kassian

Higgins, Kesler, UFA/prospect

Horvat, Mathias, Burrows/Kassian

Sestito, Richardson, Hansen/Archibald/prospect/UFA etc

Schroeder, Lain, Archibald etc as spares, traded or in Utica.

Personally I doubt any of Guance, Shinkaruk or Jensen are ready for full time top 6 duties and will likely be on Utica and fighting for first call up when injuries arise for at least next year. The following year they might start to make the step up.

I like this speculation the best and I think it's the most realistic. With all that cap room dumping Schnieder and Luongo's contracts... we are sitting in an excellent position to pick up a big name, if they are available.

Not next year, but the following year we will start to see our prospects pushing for NHL jobs.

I hope we don't waste our buyout on Booth. The Burrows contract is the one that worries me most. If he is still a fourth line player next year we can dump him and hopefully one of the young guys steps up.

At his age he should be dominating the OHL. He's not.

Its as if people have no idea that there is a defensive side to the game that "glamour" stats don't show. He may never be a top-6 scoring C/W but a big, cerebral checking C/W is just fine for a late 1st rounder.

We need a kid line next year. Move Brendan Gaunce to RW. Bo Horvat centering Dane Fox and Brendan Gaunce would be insane. Bo Horvat and Dane Fox are good friends. Brendan Gaunce and Dane Fox are currently playing together in Erie. That would be a good second line. Sedin Sedin Kassian, Fox Horvat Gaunce, Shinakruk Matthias Burrows, Hansen Richardson Higgins. Damn that looks good on paper lol.

And we'd probably get more effort out of that then we have in our line up right now

No, who do you think we are, the Avs? Our rookies would get fourth line minutes under Torts. Just keep them on the farm till he's fired. I don't want him turning Horvat into Higgins 2.0.

You mean one of the only players that has been consistent for us this year? Great reasoning.

They don't have any youth for a youth movement. This is all due to the worst job of drafting and development in NHL history. This team has lost an entire generation of players and it will be close to a decade before we see the playoffs again. People need to get real here. This team is done for a long, long time.

Really?! Wow, I didn't realize you had the full scouting report and history of all 30 teams in the NHL. Since you seem to be so knowledgeable, would you mind backing up your points there with a few facts?

Next years team will be a lot more entertaining. I knew this year was going to be a wash which I'm fine with because we need the high draft pick, I was just hoping to trade kes while his value was high for picks. Whatever though I guess the deal wasn't good enough

Daniel Henrik Kesler

Santorrelli Schroeder Kassian

Jensen Horvat. Mattias

Sestito. Richardson. Lain

Horvat should make the team, nothing else to learn in the minors. Gaunce Shinkaruk and Fox can all play AHL which will be great to actually have prospects on our farm for once.

The only thing with my line up is that we will have a ton of cap space especially with a booth buy out so who knows which UFA we target. I can see Schroeder being expendable if he doesn't put up points the rest if the season. He looks great out there but he's too small for the bottom lines and needs point production to stay

Did Burrows, Higgins and Hansen just vanish into thin air..?

Don't bet on it IMO. I think that if any guys are moved they'd only get hockey deal returns (i.e. another similar NHL player), or if they get picks back they'd still need time to develop so there'll be UFA's holding down their spots until they're ready. I highly doubt we'd go Oilers young unless the guys choose to retire, plus there's actually a decent group still here, it's just that they've been underachieving.

If anything, I think (depending on how their seasons end) Jensen could replace Burr on the top line as the trigger-man if Burr doesn't rebound, and Horvat SHOULD get a shot on the 3rd line to start. Shinkaruk, hopefully, gets to join the top 6 too but only if he's ready. Optimistically

Daniel - Hank - Burr/ Jensen (only if $$$ line finds its form, otherwise bring up Nick)

Hunter* /Higgins - Kes* - Kassian (could be decent if they gel)

Higgins - Horvat - Hansen/ Schroeder

Archibald/ Booth - Matthias/ Richardson - Dalpe

(Judging on paper at least this group still looks respectable, that bottom 6 is pretty solid but I think that when the top guys rebound then they'd be fine. If not I wouldn't hesitate to move some of the top guys for a quick re-tool).

We need a kid line next year. Move Brendan Gaunce to RW. Bo Horvat centering Dane Fox and Brendan Gaunce would be insane. Bo Horvat and Dane Fox are good friends. Brendan Gaunce and Dane Fox are currently playing together in Erie. That would be a good second line. Sedin Sedin Kassian, Fox Horvat Gaunce, Shinakruk Matthias Burrows, Hansen Richardson Higgins. Damn that looks good on paper lol.

So we move Kes for...? Also what if the kids aren't ready?

I think next year will be because at this rate we're going to get a top 10 pick which is likely to play in the NHL next year, as well as Horvat, Shinkaruk and maybe someone else will suprise.

Don't forget UFA's

Next year will be better, it's a good thing we aren't going to make the playoffs.

I fear this team will make playoffs next year and Gillis and Co. Will still try and push this aging core and trade away young assets, for rentals

Gillis has clearly signaled as of the Schneider trade that we were heading full steam towards restocking youth and letting them prop up the aging core. Your fear is irrational and baseless.

Lmao off at these Debbie downers on Gaunce. Gaunce is a big man he is doing fine in the OHL, he's not going too dazzle you or bring you off your feet he isnt Pavel Bure for god sakes. Give the kid a break.

What really gets me is how many people knock our prospects down, when Cory took over as the number 1 goalie you all complained that he wasnt ready and yet he gets traded to New Jersey and now all of you say what the hell, why did we trade a star goalie. Or comments like we had two star goalies and now we have non last time i looked Loungo was the saviour and Cory was nothing more then a starter want too be. Stop with all the negative crap on the prospects, it sickens me that you call yourself canuck fans and you talk crap like this.

erhhh no. maybe in utica. the jump from junior to the A is huge. making the nhl is another level ontop of that. maybe a winger or bottom six prospect might make the jump from the comets but beyond that realistically the offensive ones are 2-3 years away from meaningful contribution. utica is terrible. what im getting at is if they cant win/produce in the A they aint gonna get it done in the NHL. we havent got the horses for a "youth movement"

erhhh no. maybe in utica. the jump from junior to the A is huge. making the nhl is another level ontop of that. maybe a winger or bottom six prospect might make the jump from the comets but beyond that realistically the offensive ones are 2-3 years away from meaningful contribution. utica is terrible. what im getting at is if they cant win/produce in the A they aint gonna get it done in the NHL. we havent got the horses for a "youth movement"

Utica was terrible. They've actually been making a push for a playoff spot the second half of the season. Next year they'll also have Guance, Shinkaruk etc. They're going to be MUCH better next year.

Agree Gaunce is likely at least one AHL season away from making the jump.

Horvat will almost assuredly be our 3rd line LW next year making a "meaningful contribution".

We'll be just fine with our "horses".

It doesnt matter how good these kids are at passing in stuff. Its great that you guys are judging them by their skills. I just hope they can block shots really well or they r going to be benched. Its really hard to score from their. Gillis will need to try and trade them over the next few years, for some new really good guys. Then we can start over. I hope Im just kidding. Im still going to the game tomorrow, no matter what I win or lose I love the team. Its really hard to see them play like this, to bad we cant just find a way to just let them play and have fun.

No, who do you think we are, the Avs? Our rookies would get fourth line minutes under Torts. Just keep them on the farm till he's fired. I don't want him turning Horvat into Higgins 2.0.

Even though our team might be crap right now, and Torts might have something to do with it, Torts do have some previous success with younger players, such as Stepan, Del Zotto, Mcdonagh, Hagelin etc... I would be more worried about playing our younger players if we still had AV

Archived